What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

insert.pause

First Grade
B9739p6CEAAlwmK.jpg

Screens big enough?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I love how some bloke in Perth with no team can tell a million or so people west of the ANZAC Bridge that ANZ isn't needed.

Last time I drove to a game at Allianz, it took 2 hours of traffic on a Friday night to get there from Liverpool.

Only a week before on a wet Thursday night, it took me 3 hours in gridlock I shit thee not. Worst f**king night of my life. And there was quite a few of us walking in at HALF TIME having had a 2-3 hour drive.

Oh and the Test match on a Friday night in May, close to 2 hours again.

Whereas ANZ takes me half an hour on average. And I don't have to pay for parking.

ANZ is good for me, my family and friends and most of the people I know who go to footy.

People can blah blah on about ANZ, but actually don't mind it. Sure it probably needs to be reconfigured to a RL, RU and Soccer rectangle and re-set the seating, etc etc. But if they get it right this time, it'd be pretty damn good.

I also get to watch Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers, Waratahs, Wallabies, Grand Finals, the occasional Swans games and Socceroos matches there, as well as the Thunder.

And if Allianz is so good, why aren't the Roosters and Waratahs filling it out?

I'm glad you love it, makes my posts all the more worthwhile lol.
Hence why I said western Sydney needs a 35k proper stadium. ANZ is a sht of a ground for Club RL. It is dead, it is cold, it is lonely, it only suits people with really bad BO who need lots of empty space around them. Its a dreadful look for the game when the camera pans the stadium and shows 65k empty seats. I feel great sorrow for fans who have to call it home and attend there every fortnight.

Time NRL did what was right for the NRL fans and not worry about propping up a NSW white elephant or SMC.

In regards to ANZ, I don't know why they can't configure it properly in to a rectangle stadium still with the 80,000 seats for the big events, but also have it so the ground can be 'curtained' off so that it becomes a 35,000 seater or so.

I'm probably not explaining myself well enough, but what I mean is something like an inner and outer circle. So club days, the outer circle is curtained off with opaque dividers (which can be used as advertising screens and TV big screens) and then for the bigger events, it's opened right up. Even do the same for the top tiers and only open them when ticket sales necessitate it.

I also apologise for having a dig. It was low of me to do it. Spend the money they would doing up Parramatta and make ANZ a proper RL, RU and soccer venue. It's got all the parking, it's got the train right outside and it is slowly getting a precinct around it too.

pHyR3

Juniors
I love how some bloke in Perth with no team can tell a million or so people west of the ANZAC Bridge that ANZ isn't needed.

Last time I drove to a game at Allianz, it took 2 hours of traffic on a Friday night to get there from Liverpool.

Only a week before on a wet Thursday night, it took me 3 hours in gridlock I shit thee not. Worst f**king night of my life. And there was quite a few of us walking in at HALF TIME having had a 2-3 hour drive.

Whereas ANZ takes me half an hour on average. And I don't have to pay for parking.

ANZ is good for me, my family and friends and most of the people I know who go to footy.

People can blah blah on about ANZ, but actually don't mind it. Sure it probably needs to be reconfigured to a RL, RU and Soccer rectangle and re-set the seating, etc etc. But if they get it right this time, it'd be pretty damn good.

I also get to watch Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers, Waratahs, Wallabies, Grand Finals, the occasional Swans games and Socceroos matches there, as well as the Thunder.

yea completely agree. turn that thing into rectangular, put a roof and instead of averaging 22k there like we do now, build that up past 30k maybe even 35k within 5 years. Then it'll look fine on TV most of the time and have a good atmosphere

otherwise build a great 35-40k stadium out west for the dogs, tigers, parra and maybe panthers to all use and keep anz for SOO grand finals and the occasional massive final/derby games.

yea completely agree. turn that thing into rectangular, put a roof and instead of averaging 22k there like we do now, build that up past 30k maybe even 35k within 5 years. Then it'll look fine on TV most of the time and have a good atmosphere

otherwise build a great 35-40k stadium out west for the dogs, tigers, parra and maybe panthers to all use and keep anz for SOO grand finals and the occasional massive final/derby games.

No Souths?

PoWdErFiNgEr84

Juniors

That's why Sydney really needs 2 state of the art stadiums 1 in the west & 1 in the east. Homebush is an absolute b*tch to get to for half of the city e.g. unless it's a major event, from the south you have to catch 3 separate trains to get there. 1 to redfern, 1 to Lidcombe & 1 to Olympic Park.

unforgiven

Bench
In regards to ANZ, I don't know why they can't configure it properly in to a rectangle stadium still with the 80,000 seats for the big events, but also have it so the ground can be 'curtained' off so that it becomes a 35,000 seater or so.

I'm probably not explaining myself well enough, but what I mean is something like an inner and outer circle. So club days, the outer circle is curtained off with opaque dividers (which can be used as advertising screens and TV big screens) and then for the bigger events, it's opened right up. Even do the same for the top tiers and only open them when ticket sales necessitate it.

I also apologise for having a dig. It was low of me to do it. Spend the money they would doing up Parramatta and make ANZ a proper RL, RU and soccer venue. It's got all the parking, it's got the train right outside and it is slowly getting a precinct around it too.

Very hard to reconfigure so it is an appropriate rectangular venue, it is almost impossible to do without knocking down the stands and rebuilding them. The pitch of the lower tier is just not steep enough which means no matter how far u push those stands in the back seats will always be too far from the playing field.

The "curtaining off" of the upper tiers is an excellent idea though.

pHyR3

Juniors
...disregarding the fact that demographics can infact change within a 100 year period and that labelling them a "Redfern team" is as archaic as saying "all Aussies are convicts."

"The club is based in Redfern, where the club's administration and training facilities are located, however they have long held a wide supporter base spread all over New South Wales."

yeah i dunno maybe i called em a redfern club cause that's where their offices and training is as well as their origin. not to mention the place they still play preseason games and whatnot.

then add in their leagues club, and i think at least 2/3 (if not 3/3) are closer to Allianz than ANZ.

where else in sydney is more 'home' for souths than redfern, in the south of sydney?

"The club is based in Redfern, where the club's administration and training facilities are located, however they have long held a wide supporter base spread all over New South Wales."

yeah i dunno maybe i called em a redfern club cause that's where their offices and training is as well as their origin. not to mention the place they still play preseason games and whatnot.

then add in their leagues club, and i think at least 2/3 (if not 3/3) are closer to Allianz than ANZ.

where else in sydney is more 'home' for souths than redfern, in the south of sydney?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe a majority of Souths' membership base live outside the 'traditional' Souths territory.

The people in the season ticket area where I sit come from GW&SWS land [Blacktown, Penrith, Liverpool, Bankstown, Campbelltown], the Blue Mountains, the Hunter, Canberra and inner city.

If the financial deal for Souths to go to Allianz was compelling, I'd have to go with the flow, but right now, with them at ANZ, it's good/convenient for me.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe a majority of Souths' membership base live outside the 'traditional' Souths territory.

The people in the season ticket area where I sit come from GW&SWS land [Blacktown, Penrith, Liverpool, Bankstown, Campbelltown], the Blue Mountains, the Hunter, Canberra and inner city.

If the financial deal for Souths to go to Allianz was compelling, I'd have to go with the flow, but right now, with them at ANZ, it's good/convenient for me.

If you don't live on Eveleigh St, Redfern, you're not a true Bunnies fan :sarcasm:

alien

Referee
i would say souths are better off playing at stadium australia since they have alot of fans all over the sydney metro area and olympic park is more central, and it can take as low as 25 minutes to get to olympic park from redfern station anyway, but if the sfs gets upgraded and offers souths a better deal then they might play there instead. i know alot of people dont like the sfs because there isnt as much parking and its a pain in the arse getting out of the area after the game if youre driving

ash the bash

Juniors
Interesting discussions,

My five bobs worth, in an ideal world if ANZ and SFS offered the exact same deal (I know the current ANZ deal is much superior) to Souths I would love to see a new 65,000 seater rebuild stadium on the current location of the SFS. I'm biased I live in South Sydney area its just as easy as getting a bus from Eastgardens. I know its not the easiest place to park but in any new stadium precinct that would be factored in. Again ANZ is more central to most of Sydney I can see the arguments for it, especially with our wide membership base. I feel SFS has so much more to offer, can go have a drink and get a nice meal somewhere before the game too. Can make can event of it, instead of in and out like ANZ.

alien

Referee

i live in the campbelltown area and around here i see more rabbitohs merchandise being worn (and on cars) than wests tigers stuff (who are meant to be the local team) :lol:

Saint Doc

Coach
I know its superleague, but yet another team looking to have a great venue build perfect for their needs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-31536609

_73554206_castlefordtigersstadium3.jpg

Plans for a new 10,000-capacity Castleford Tigers stadium have been approved by Wakefield Council.

The venue, near Junction 32 of the M62 at Glasshoughton, will also include a 50-acre country park, shops and restaurants.

Developers Lateral Property Group have said the £135m scheme could create 2,000 jobs.

The plans still have to be approved by the secretary of state before building work can start.

Tigers chairman Jack Fulton previously said the new stadium would provide "the foundations of a bright new future for the club".

That will leave Castleford, St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Hudderfield, Hull Fc, Salford, and Championship club Leigh with top notch stadia. An enviable position.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm glad you love it, makes my posts all the more worthwhile lol.
Hence why I said western Sydney needs a 35k proper stadium. ANZ is a sht of a ground for Club RL. It is dead, it is cold, it is lonely, it only suits people with really bad BO who need lots of empty space around them. Its a dreadful look for the game when the camera pans the stadium and shows 65k empty seats. I feel great sorrow for fans who have to call it home and attend there every fortnight.

Time NRL did what was right for the NRL fans and not worry about propping up a NSW white elephant or SMC.

Western Sydney NRL teams don't need a 35k stadium, the Eels alone need a 35k stadium (as do all the other clubs).

Build Parra stadium to 35k, sure. But don't waste money developing Allianz. Just leave it. Spend the rest of the dosh fixing ANZ to be a proper rectangle.
With crowds of over 50k, the place ain't too bad, if it was a 'rectangular sports ground', would be even better.

Latest posts