What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

pHyR3

Juniors
There are way too many negatives to a Badger creek stadium....

- First, (i assume you are basing the idea off the WS airport) the airport and related infrastructure wont be finished for over 10 years (assuming there are no delays), not even considering the fact that the train line isnt part of the phase 1 transport. This means that a new stadium could be sitting in the middle of nowhere for a decade before transport links are build for the area.
- Second, this is a greenfield site; the airport will be the first bit of major economic stimulus the local area will see, the city forming around it later. This means a new stadium would be even worse than Olympic Park regarding shit to do before/after games.

Having said that, the WS Airport transport infrustructure will totally reshape West Sydney, so a new stadium does need to take that into consideration. Id personally suggest Blacktown as the location of the new stadium.
- All the City-Airport links will pass through here then head south ST Marys (apparently), so it will be easy as piss to get to.
- There will also be links from Liverpool and Campbeltown to the airport, which would attach to the Blacktown lines and roads, so fans in the SW could travel easily aswell.

Panthers, Tigers, Bulldogs and Parra could all easily draw crowd there from not only their own traditional areas but from their oppositions fans and neutrals all over Western Sydney.

and what do you think this stadium will be built by the start of the season or something?

it will take at least 3 years just to build and probably a couple more to plan. ANZ went from the plan being completed to its first event in 6-7 years.

You dont think its possible for the NRL to threaten to leave simply to f*ck over a group that they know should be treating them better??

They were in this exact situation during the last TV deal negotiation and were apparently willing to go entirely to FTA networks just because they felt FOX owed them more. The ARLC was happy to take a short term loss because they knew they were so vital to FOX subscriptions (maintaining current subscriptions is inarguably more important that looking for new ones).

It wouldnt be that hard for the ARLC to organise at least a partial club-boycott of ANZ stadium to push for a rectangle stadium.

Ask the Stadiums major tenants (ie the Bulldogs and Rabbits) if they think they are getting screwed and should be treated better. I'd suggest they are pretty happy with the deal they are currently getting (which for Souths, lasts for at least another 3 years).

RWB

Bench
It's amazing how much one stadium can hold back a game.

I hope ANZ burns to the ground. It's up there with Gallop & Super League as the biggest blights on the game.

Rodney

Juniors
Ask the Stadiums major tenants (ie the Bulldogs and Rabbits) if they think they are getting screwed and should be treated better. I'd suggest they are pretty happy with the deal they are currently getting (which for Souths, lasts for at least another 3 years).

ANZ is probably the right stadium for the bulldogs, but you could probably convince Souths to move closer to the traditional base if the rent was low enough (or incentives from NRL HQ were provided).

And they'd only need one NRL full time NRL team to move out for the screws to turn.
10 minimum games of NRL are bigger than 6-odd domestic BBL matches.

And the NRL has the power of drawing out finals games, which only (as far as im aware) have a home CITY requirement.
They probably wouldn't move a Penrith v Parramatta semi into the city (although if they felt so inclined its a possibility), but the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Dragons, Tigers, Manly and Sharks fixtures could easily be slotted into an upgraded Allianz.

State of Origin will have to stay at ANZ, but other rep events could be held away from the stadium.
Although RL internationals aren't standard ANZ fare we have a world cup coming in 2 years.
+ we're due for some Sydney 4nations (or whatever it ends up being) matches.

And the other codes could threaten to move their marquee events.
Socceroos matches and Wallabies matches would be suited to a 65k stadium.
Not to mention the FIFO euro clubs.

Especially if the codes work together they can make it financially detrimental to remain a rectangular shape.

Last edited:
Even if the NRL doubled Souths incentive to move their home games back to Allianz (which ANZ would probably match anyway), I don't know if Souths would move anyway. You'd have to ask their owners/senior mgmt, but I think they like the fact they play slap bang in the middle of sydney and can draw fans from everywhere and try and dominate RL in Sydney (Pride of the League and all that BS).

Look, I'd love ANZ to be rectangular, I just can't see it happening, ever. I think we'd be better off lobbying for a roof (which is a possibility) rather than a rectangle.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Honestly interested to know, has there been many/any instances where an oval stadium has been subsequently reconfigured into a rectangular stadium?

The US has some really interesting cases.....

There are a whole lot of Baseball fields that were converted for football teams:
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/automation/vod/227438_1280x720.jpg [/IMG]
(these pictures are WAY too big for the forum)

And most modern football stadiums are build to house basketball:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7544276786_c2044b4c31_o.jpg
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/DOMES/HISTORY/hou07.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/2009-0319-NCAAs-002-MetrodomeBBall.JPG

There is always a way if there is the will to achieve the outcome.
Even if ANZ was just to rebuild the North-South wings from the Olympics befor roofing the stadium, it would still be a massive improvement.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The Bulldogs and Rabbitohs are VERY happy with our financial arrangements with ANZ. Can ANZ tenants be guaranteed at least equal terms with a new stadium? I think not. That is one of many reasons why a new stadium is so hard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No reason why not. If the ANZ SMC can turn a profit with the terms it offers no reason another stadium couldn't do the same. It'd be interesting to know what the cost is of actually playing there. I know clubs get $'s for playing but what do they lose in terms of branding, food and drink sales, corporate boxes, at the gate ticket sales etc etc

An NRL owned stadium, in a similar way to what Telstra in Melbourne will be for AFL could make significant profits for club and code if done right. 4-5 tenants in a 45k stadium owned by the NRL would be very profitable I would think. the NRL could even offer a stadium RL membership that got you in to every game played there, RL corporate boxes for every game played etc. I was staggered when attending a Souths v Roosters game at Allianz how many empty corporate boxes there were compared to a Eagles or dockers game at Suibiaco where everyone if full.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I dont understand why your still talking about it, I cant see anyone putting the money forward to build a new stadium in Western Sydney

The US has some really interesting cases.....

There are a whole lot of Baseball fields that were converted for football teams:
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/kgo/images/cms/automation/vod/227438_1280x720.jpg [/IMG]
(these pictures are WAY too big for the forum)

And most modern football stadiums are build to house basketball:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7544276786_c2044b4c31_o.jpg
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/DOMES/HISTORY/hou07.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/2009-0319-NCAAs-002-MetrodomeBBall.JPG

There is always a way if there is the will to achieve the outcome.
Even if ANZ was just to rebuild the North-South wings from the Olympics befor roofing the stadium, it would still be a massive improvement.

The Oakland stadium wasn't "converted" from a baseball field to a football field though was it? It was built to house both sports from the get go, so was designed accordingly.

Given some of the examples given by the other posters, I probably should have been more specific in my question. I was talking about major stadia, with 360 degree stands that were subsequently converted from an oval stadium to a rectangular stadium. Its pretty easy to convert an "oval" if half the ground is a hill or concourse. A fully "grand-standed" stadium is a bit different.

As far as I am concerned, unless the place is knocked down and rebuilt, no amount of work will make the ground 100% suitable for rugby league. Slightly better maybe, but not worth the effort and expense. And a knockdown, rebuild will not happen.

Timbo

Staff member
The Oakland stadium wasn't "converted" from a baseball field to a football field though was it? It was built to house both sports from the get go, so was designed accordingly.

Given some of the examples given by the other posters, I probably should have been more specific in my question. I was talking about major stadia, with 360 degree stands that were subsequently converted from an oval stadium to a rectangular stadium. Its pretty easy to convert an "oval" if half the ground is a hill or concourse. A fully "grand-standed" stadium is a bit different.

As far as I am concerned, unless the place is knocked down and rebuilt, no amount of work will make the ground 100% suitable for rugby league. Slightly better maybe, but not worth the effort and expense. And a knockdown, rebuild will not happen.

Also, more to the point, the US sports codes realized in the 90s that multi-use sports grounds provide a subpar sporting experience for all of the tenants and began to provide purpose built facilities for both baseball and football separately.

In 1990, a large number of cities that had both a baseball and football team shared a stadium - Oakland, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Cleveland, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Houston, Minneapolis, New York (Shea Stadium) and Washington DC were built to host both NFL and Baseball.

As of 2015, only Oakland remains multi-purpose (and, technically, Toronto, but that's a different thing) and it's widely regarded as both the worst baseball and football stadium in the United States.

pHyR3

Juniors
Also, more to the point, the US sports codes realized in the 90s that multi-use sports grounds provide a subpar sporting experience for all of the tenants and began to provide purpose built facilities for both baseball and football separately.

In 1990, a large number of cities that had both a baseball and football team shared a stadium - Oakland, San Francisco, San Diego, Denver, Seattle, Cleveland, Miami, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Houston, Minneapolis, New York (Shea Stadium) and Washington DC were built to host both NFL and Baseball.

As of 2015, only Oakland remains multi-purpose (and, technically, Toronto, but that's a different thing) and it's widely regarded as both the worst baseball and football stadium in the United States.

not entirely true, i know staples centre in LA does both basketball and ice hockey. they completely redo the court for NHL its pretty cool

but thats obviously a different story

Latest posts