What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

reanimate

Bench
i dont mind brookvale oval just looking at it from a revenue POV.

a dream site would be that cricket oval right in the heart of manly shops.

Yeah, sorry for the rant there, just over Warringah Council and their antics when it comes to Brookvale.

Manly Oval would have been great if RL had got it from the beginning and could have pushed for a bigger stadium and more land, I don't think there's enough land there these days to build a decent stadium on that site.

Brookvale Oval itself isn't a bad site, it's quite accessible by bus, and Warringah Rd makes it accessible to those coming from the North Shore, it's just rundown and needs more parking options.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The perfect situation would be a stadium in Liverpool for Tigers and Bulldogs AND a stadium in Blacktown for Panthers and Eels to share.

Obviously it will be too expensive, but it shows there is no perfect solution with just 1 stadium; either way you are isolation Penrith or Campbeltown.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
Yeah, sorry for the rant there, just over Warringah Council and their antics when it comes to Brookvale.

Manly Oval would have been great if RL had got it from the beginning and could have pushed for a bigger stadium and more land, I don't think there's enough land there these days to build a decent stadium on that site.

Brookvale Oval itself isn't a bad site, it's quite accessible by bus, and Warringah Rd makes it accessible to those coming from the North Shore, it's just rundown and needs more parking options.

i love going to brookie

heaps of hot girls then when i go too, distracting from the football

georgesnmith

Juniors
A wasteland? A small suburb?

Liverpool City council area has a population of 200,000. Half a dozen ten storey apartment buildings under construction. About a dozen recently built. Easy to get to using M5, M7, Hume Highway and trains. The adjoining suburb - Fairfield has a bigger population.

wow 6 high rises under construction? if they keep that up in 50 years it will be as developed as Parramatta.

Liverpool is a dump. its hard to get too for most of sydney, especially by train. what about away fans who want to travel from the east, north and south? its hard enough to get too for the clubs its supposed to service.

and the area isnt safe at night on top of being a dump.

at ANZ you already have dogs, tigers, saints and souths

parra is a short drive down james ruse drive

so its only penrith who it might be a bit far from.

and for the rest of sydney its easy to get too.

Case closed.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ill say, if this Liverpool stadium doesnt come to fruition, i hope the Tigers move their opporations and training facilities to the South West.

Campbeltown would probably be a bad idea, but Fairfield, Cabrammatta or Liverpool would be a good location. They can use their placement to officially make themselves the team of the South West (do clinics, go to schools) even if they can only play 3 or 4 games a year in Campbeltown and the rest at ANZ or Blacktown.

georgesnmith

Juniors
read somewhere they might be moving their operations to ANZ Stadium instead of Concord.

i hope campbelltown ends up with more games in the future though

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
read somewhere they might be moving their operations to ANZ Stadium instead of Concord.

i hope campbelltown ends up with more games in the future though

God, i hope not. Not putting down ANZ facilities, but the location gives the team a somewhat generic feel *cough* GWS *cough* (They really made a mistake leaving Blacktown)

While i would prefer high quality centralized stadiums, it is true that NRL has a suburban history. The only way to stay connected to that going forward is to define yourself by where you base your opporation (eg. Souths at Redfern, Bulldogs at Belmore, Panthers in Penrith were they to have a stadium built in Blacktown)

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
God, i hope not. Not putting down ANZ facilities, but the location gives the team a somewhat generic feel *cough* GWS *cough* (They really made a mistake leaving Blacktown)

While i would prefer high quality centralized stadiums, it is true that NRL has a suburban history. The only way to stay connected to that going forward is to define yourself by where you base your opporation (eg. Souths at Redfern, Bulldogs at Belmore, Panthers in Penrith were they to have a stadium built in Blacktown)

i agree with what you are saying

grant mayer is talking about the move to ANZ in an interview with dean ritchie in the ANZ stadium magazine. mayer talks about how ANZ can help the tigers grow crowds, memberships (by allowing their members into other clubs games there), better corporate facilities.

mayer also talks about how homebush has great training facilities, the acquatic centre.

At least homebush is close by to traditional leichardt / lillyfield and ashfield.

GWS are supposed to represent blacktown / greater west of sydney which i would take to mean west of parramatta.

bobmar28

Bench
wow 6 high rises under construction? if they keep that up in 50 years it will be as developed as Parramatta.

Liverpool is a dump. its hard to get too for most of sydney, especially by train. what about away fans who want to travel from the east, north and south? its hard enough to get too for the clubs its supposed to service.

and the area isnt safe at night on top of being a dump.

at ANZ you already have dogs, tigers, saints and souths

parra is a short drive down james ruse drive

so its only penrith who it might be a bit far from.

and for the rest of sydney its easy to get too.

Case closed.

Fans from the east can use the M5/West Connex, from the north the M7, from the south the Hume highway.

georgesnmith

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/penrith-may-build-500m-sport-stadium-20140411-36ij2.html

Penrith could become the home of a $500 million redevelopment which would include the construction of a new roofed stadium on the land currently occupied by Sportingbet Stadium and the adjoining harness racing track.

It is understood the ambitious proposal is being driven by Penrith city, Harness Racing NSW and politicians including local MP Stuart Ayres, who is also Fair Trading Minister.

The finishing touches are being put on a master plan for the 35,000-seat stadium, which is expected to cost $300-$500 million. Its success hinges on the proposed Badgerys Creek airport.

The stadium could be used by NRL teams, the Western Sydney Wanderers, the Penrith Emus rugby union club and other local sporting teams, and could host concerts and events.

There have also been discussions about the venue being controlled by the ANZ Stadium Trust, which would allow the four western Sydney-based NRL teams - Parramatta, Canterbury, Penrith and Wests Tigers - to split home matches between the two venues based on the number of fans each game is expected to attract.

It is possible matches that are likely to draw smaller crowds could be played at Pirtek Stadium, but Parramatta is unlikely to receive a new stadium given its proximity to ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park.

Sportingbet Stadium is located on crown land under the control of Penrith City Council that is leased to the Panthers, while the adjoining paceway site is under the auspices of the Penrith Agricultural Society.

The government has outlined a stadiums strategy policy in which larger venues, such as ANZ Stadium and the Sydney Cricket Ground, would be given funding priority.

The strategy includes a commitment to build a ''tier two'' stadium in the greater west. Penrith's bid is understood to be favoured ahead of proposals in Liverpool and Parramatta.

The plan requires Harness Racing NSW to sell their Bankstown, Fairfield and Penrith Paceways with a view to constructing a joint trotting and greyhound track at Eastern Creek, as the Western Sydney Parklands Trust is keen for the site to be on its land.

However, Penrith City Council is also vying for the new racing facility and could provide land at a nominal rate to ensure it is housed there.

The NSW Harness Racing Club relocated to Menangle Park Paceway near Campbelltown in early 2011.

The Panthers, who currently play out of Sportingbet Stadium, attempted to buy into the Wanderers when the A-League club announced it was up for sale.

The overtures were rejected but it is understood the parties could be prepared to work out a venue-sharing arrangement.

Penrith officials have outlined bold membership and attendance targets which would render Sportingbet Stadium too small in future years.

Eels chief executive Scott Seward said this weekthat his club and the Wanderers were working together with a view to redeveloping Pirtek Stadium into a 32,000-seat venue.

There is currently no state government money allocated for this, but it is understood the sale of Wentworth Park greyhounds to developers would bankroll a big part of the project.

Even as a Penrith fan I'm very surprised our location is being favoured.

I just don't see a second tennant for the venue. Perhaps the wanderers might play some games there.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeh, this just doesnt seem very smart.

If they want multiple tenants they cannot go farther west than Blacktown (ruling out Penrith), further south than Liverpool (ruling out Campbeltown) or further east than Homebush (that just not west sydney anymore).

Im actually inclined to support not building this new stadium and just putting the money towards a massive redevelopment of ANZ (and lobbying in support of the Parra to Homebush lightrail).

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
On another note, a few weeks ago i was at a Roosters game (first time ive made the trek via train). Moore Park is such a shitty location!!! if the the NRL can get funding, instead of putting the money into the SFS they should lobby for a new location.

Right in the city just cannot happen but if they were to look for land just outside im sure they could find something better placed than they have now. For example, the Wentworth Park land south of Pyrmont would be easy to secure and if they were a bit more ambitious they could even get a look in around Tumbalong Park area (a few streets away for Town Hall Station and right in the thick of it ala city life.)

In a location like that i bet they could fill the ground just with people out for the night and randomly decided to go...

Red Bear

Referee
Penrith is too far out, surely. Blacktown would be a better option. Somwhere it's useable for Penrith/Wests/Eels/maybe Dogs

Is bobmar now a Tigers fan?

undertaker

Coach

If the Sea Eagles had to move away from Brookvale Oval, do you think they could play matches at the ground in Narrabeen? Also, didn't the Sea Eagles play a home match at North Curl Curl Oval or somewhere like that in 1997?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth has one rectangular and one main oval stadium for a city that extends 100km in each north and south direction and 40km eastwards. I struggle to understand why fans in Sydney consider a 25-40km trip a chore? Are your roads/public transport really that sht? How can Sydney be classed such a liveable city if you can't get around it on a weekend?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sydney's roads are shithouse. And they're part of the reason Sydney won't get a stadium for decades. We need to spend billions to fix the roads before we spend money on luxury like a stadium.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Perth has one rectangular and one main oval stadium for a city that extends 100km in each north and south direction and 40km eastwards. I struggle to understand why fans in Sydney consider a 25-40km trip a chore? Are your roads/public transport really that sht? How can Sydney be classed such a liveable city if you can't get around it on a weekend?

one stadium but no nrl team.

georgesnmith

Juniors
what do people think of the ARLC building their own stadium?

if they keep banking 50 million a year but 2022 theyll have around 1/2 billion dollars.

theres still a load of land out homebush way, or they could buy ANZ stadium provided the govt puts a roof on it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
what do people think of the ARLC building their own stadium?

if they keep banking 50 million a year but 2022 theyll have around 1/2 billion dollars.

theres still a load of land out homebush way, or they could buy ANZ stadium provided the govt puts a roof on it.

Poor return on investment. Especially when every forward thinking city in the country recognises its govt is responsible for building suitable sporting facilities for the public.