What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

georgesnmith

Juniors
Poor return on investment. Especially when every forward thinking city in the country recognises its govt is responsible for building suitable sporting facilities for the public.

Twickenham for RFU
Cardiff for WRU

Even AFL will be owing Ethiad by 2022.

not sure how you mean its a poor investment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well let's say they spend $400mill on building it. To get a decent return you'd be looking to get around $20 million a year return on that investment. Without fleecing the clubs to use it, which kind of defeats the object, are they likely to make a $20 mill year profit off it? If not you'd be better off investing that $400mill elsewhere and getting a much higher annual return.

A better bet might be to get nsw govt to donate the land, developer to build the stadium 75-25 costs with NRL and also get to develop surrounding land with restaurants, apartments etc with a split of profits with nsw govt. NRL get to own stadium, developer gets to sell development, nsw govt release some of land assets to cash. NRL gets stadium it wants and owns it for $100mill.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors
theyd need around 10 - 15% pa return

so around $50 - 75 million a year is a normal return

edit:

if they get all the clubs except manly and chooks to play say 6 games there it could well be worth it.
or they could sacrifice some return and not charge the clubs any rent at all, letting the clubs make the revenue.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
what do people think of the ARLC building their own stadium?

if they keep banking 50 million a year but 2022 theyll have around 1/2 billion dollars.

theres still a load of land out homebush way, or they could buy ANZ stadium provided the govt puts a roof on it.

Now you're talking george.

It's about more than financial return. It's about positioning the game, having ultimate control over ticketing and benefits for members. The implications for pushing memberships via reciprocal rights and guaranteed finals seating is immense.

It's about a holistic game day experience that caters to the whole family. It's about establishing 'League Central' with a physical Hall of Fame, a Legends Walk, an administrative nerve centre, subsidiary fields for training/warming up etc.,with the stadium the jewel in the crown.

It's about a vision and a goal. The potential is huge, it needs someone with a huge and all encompassing vision to perceive it.

Reposition the Flemington markets further west to the junction of the M4/M7, the main feeder roads to the rural/agricultural areas to the west, north and south. Then service it with a rail link that also services the new Badgery's Creek airport proposal. Space achieved, right on the main rail link at Flemington.

Build 'League Land' with a new 80-100k capacity, purpose built, state of the art rectangular stadium. Throw in a shopping centre with cinemas and eateries. Link it to Rhodes, the Olympic precinct and wharf, and DFO with a light rail network. Throw in some residential space and accommodation as well for both tourists and visiting teams.

It's a big dream, but if you dream small you achieve small.

It's ok, I'll wake up soon.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Flemington markets has been bought by a property developer, 2000 units i think in 10 years.

access to homebush is easy.

ANZ stadium offers clubs $100,000 per game to play there, so assuming they arent losing money thats not a bad revenue number per game played there.

Plus there is naming rights for the stadium, stadium membership, food and beverage revenue etc.

so 9 sydney clubs, 6 games each thats around 54 club games.

So rough numbers lol

1. Rent from 54 club games $5.4 million
2. Naming rights $5 - 10 million pa?
3. Origins / semi finals / grand finals rent ???? $3 - 5 million
4. rent from food and beverage ???
5. rent from other sports???

bottle

Coach
Flemington sold?
Nice way to ruin my dream.
Homebush is a shit place to get to. That's part of its problem, and why it will never have general public appeal.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id definitely really support the NRL buying ANZ and more of the Homebush precinct and lobby for redevelopments. Sure, invest in various other stadiums, but the one place i think the ARLC should really focus on in sydney is Homebush.

We know the state gov wants this precinct to be the premier sport location in the city, and by 2025 or 2030 itll be a great little planned city that people will want to go to.

The one thing that would make the Homebush great would be a university campus; bringing people into the area every day so retail and food flood into the area.

But yes, its a dream....

RedVee

First Grade
On another note, a few weeks ago i was at a Roosters game (first time ive made the trek via train). Moore Park is such a shitty location!!! if the the NRL can get funding, instead of putting the money into the SFS they should lobby for a new location.

Right in the city just cannot happen but if they were to look for land just outside im sure they could find something better placed than they have now. For example, the Wentworth Park land south of Pyrmont would be easy to secure and if they were a bit more ambitious they could even get a look in around Tumbalong Park area (a few streets away for Town Hall Station and right in the thick of it ala city life.)

In a location like that i bet they could fill the ground just with people out for the night and randomly decided to go...

Wentworth Park is Crown land, but Fatty O'Barrell is currently positioning it for sale to developers for a multitude of flats. (SMH)

Perth has one rectangular and one main oval stadium for a city that extends 100km in each north and south direction and 40km eastwards. I struggle to understand why fans in Sydney consider a 25-40km trip a chore? Are your roads/public transport really that sht? How can Sydney be classed such a liveable city if you can't get around it on a weekend?
YES.

Some workdays it can take me 2hrs to drive from Campbelltown to Homebush, currently it takes me 90 mins each way. After a week with a couple of bad travel days you really don't salivate at the idea of heading back in !

Saint Doc

Coach
Id definitely really support the NRL buying ANZ and more of the Homebush precinct and lobby for redevelopments. Sure, invest in various other stadiums, but the one place i think the ARLC should really focus on in sydney is Homebush.

We know the state gov wants this precinct to be the premier sport location in the city, and by 2025 or 2030 itll be a great little planned city that people will want to go to.

The one thing that would make the Homebush great would be a university campus; bringing people into the area every day so retail and food flood into the area.

But yes, its a dream....

There was talk for years about moving Sydney Uni's Cumerland Campus (all the health sciences like physio, sports science) to SOP (currently at lidcombe). 3000 students. Makes so much sense to have those courses there, and the uni campus is surrounded by housing developments.

But this has been rumoured for 15 years. Still nothing

georgesnmith

Juniors

But yes, its a dream....

thats a good idea about a university campus

homebush is still really empty it needs a lot more development happening there.

theyve built a couple of hotels, theres a few residential high rises going up, some commercial buildings are there but the place is still fairly empty

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane, good pub crawl,walk from city to ground
Melbourne ditto
Perth ditto

Why has Sydney built its main stadiums miles from its centre?

georgesnmith

Juniors
Melbourne ditto
Perth ditto

probably because sydney has always been more built up than those cities and land in the centre is both scarce and costly.

even today melbourne hardly has a skyline. the Parramatta CBD probably has a similar skyline, and north sydney certainly is more built up lol

Im actually inclined to support not building this new stadium and just putting the money towards a massive redevelopment of ANZ (and lobbying in support of the Parra to Homebush lightrail).

I'm starting to think that way as well.

What I'd really like to see at ANZ is a system that could block out the upper seats ( some sort of large curtain)

I know this sounds a little crazy but it would help create a better atmosphere for club games by giving it a more intimate feel.

I would prefer a 50k rectangular stadium but I just don't see a better venue than homebush ATM.

Melbourne ditto
Perth ditto

Sydney has a very unusual layout. Geographically it's a much harder city for urban planning than others.

The SFS isn't that far from the city centre. Plenty to do around that area but it's a long way from most rugby league fans.

Also worth pointing out that real estate is much more valuable in Sydney. Particularly commercial real estate close to the city.

oikee

Juniors
The NRL has got to throw in 100 million and get the government to build a new stadium for the capital, a new 50 thousand for Sydney west, and a new stadium for the warriors and Cowboys, unitl that happens rugby league is near death.
The AFL had 2 billion spent on stadiums , the NRL cant even provide a atmosphere at a big souless ANZ 80 thousand where no team should have to play in front of 10 to 20 thousand crowds.
Your only harming your brand doing this, time to wake up league fans, your all been nutted.

The NRL has got to throw in 100 million and get the government to build a new stadium for the capital, a new 50 thousand for Sydney west, and a new stadium for the warriors and Cowboys, unitl that happens rugby league is near death.
The AFL had 2 billion spent on stadiums , the NRL cant even provide a atmosphere at a big souless ANZ 80 thousand where no team should have to play in front of 10 to 20 thousand crowds.
Your only harming your brand doing this, time to wake up league fans, your all been nutted.

Near death?!

Could you be more dramatic ? Rugby leagues been in way tougher spots than this.

In fact this doesn't even register.

DC_fan

Coach
News reports & the state government have even mentioned the possibility.

Seems enough of a reason to talk about it to me.

I don't see a reason for the building of another large or even largish stadium to be built in Sydney.

We have three large and one smallish stadiums in Sydney which should be enough to cater for the needs of the sports that play out. Two are centrally located near the city and the others are in the western suburbs.

Yes Parramatta Stadium needs some work done it. It should be am all-seater undercover stadium of around 30,000 capacity. It doesn't need to be any more then that.

ANZ should be converted to a rectangular playing area which would bring fans much closer to the action and increase the capacity. Puting a roof on it would be an option also.

The SFS could also do with a roof and it's capacity of around 43,000 is more then enough to meet the needs of our game.

The SCG as far as league is concerned should be forgotten about. Leave it to the cricket and AFL whose games are better suited to the wide open space of that ground.

Yes papers are talking about a new stadium being built, but that's all it is. They know what sells newspapers and they know where their best market is.