What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

georgesnmith

Juniors
The stadium needs to be in a new location for neutrality IMO.

If it's at parra other clubs are going to be reluctant to play there.

i get what your saying but it makes no sense to build it where there is no current club.

should be either parra or penrith. though making sure ANZ gets the most dollars is the most important.

a roof and the end becoming rectangular will be a huge boost

i get what your saying but it makes no sense to build it where there is no current club.

should be either parra or penrith. though making sure ANZ gets the most dollars is the most important.

a roof and the end becoming rectangular will be a huge boost

Why does it have to be where a current club is ?

There was no club at Olympic park prior to that being built & the bulldogs have successfully made that their home ground.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Why does it have to be where a current club is ?

There was no club at Olympic park prior to that being built & the bulldogs have successfully made that their home ground.

so because one club might get more advantage than others, better to build it near none of them?

the articles all say parramatta and penrith are the only real options, liverpool is no chance, and blacktown already made their bed with AFL, they shouldnt get another stadium.

tbh i dont think they should waste the money on a new stadium out western, they should just put it all into ANZ.

parra and penrith stadiums are good enough for the small games, they can both play their big games at anz

cant see the state govt spending $250 - 300 million fixing ANZ, and another $500 million on a stadium out west.

much better to fix up ANZ and roof Allianz

beave

Coach
Let's be brutally honest, in order to make ANZ a great viewing ground for league, they would have to knock down all bar one side of the stadium and try again. All the stands are too far back from the playing field, do we really think they are going to do that? I don't know what the answer for Sydney is either, I've lived there for 10 years and she's one spread out city, you can't please everyone.

unforgiven

Bench
ANZ wont ever work as a rectangular stadium. The lower stands are too shallow and the upper stands start too far back, causing the majority of fans being too far away from the field of play. There is nothing you can do to fix these problems.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Let's be brutally honest, in order to make ANZ a great viewing ground for league, they would have to knock down all bar one side of the stadium and try again. All the stands are too far back from the playing field, do we really think they are going to do that? I don't know what the answer for Sydney is either, I've lived there for 10 years and she's one spread out city, you can't please everyone.

ANZ will never be a stadium like suncorp.

doesnt mean they cant improve it significantly.

the view from the side stands is fine, even in the 400s, its only the 600s which sux and to get to those seats you need crowds of 50 - 60k so its rare for club games

making the stands behind the posts rectangular will make a big difference.

and the side stands at ANZ actually move 15 - 20 metres in and out from AFL mode to league mode, they just slide the stands in or out lol

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

ANZ wont ever work as a rectangular stadium. The lower stands are too shallow and the upper stands start too far back, causing the majority of fans being too far away from the field of play. There is nothing you can do to fix these problems.

Ive said this a few times here but this, IMO, is the best way to make ANZ a decent viewing experience...

unr0.png

Run the field east to west, leave the current east and west stands (they are 129m apart i am lead to believe, perfect length for a field).

Knock down the barely existent north and south stands, come forward to the tunnels (about 90m apart), and build decent stands (imagine the old stadium wings, just brought forward).

With the current roof structure in place, these stands would not need to support a roof and would therefore be very cheap compared to other options. This...

6141753.jpeg

...was built in 2009 for $30mil, because it didnt need to support a roof structure.

If this was done, we would end up with a stadium comparable to this...

MetLife_Day.jpg

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
You need to let that insane theory go man. I've pointed out every time you've brought it up that you would immediately gut the corporate and members revenue by changing the orientation, and the comparison to the stadium in Akron, a new build, is just nonsense.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You need to let that insane theory go man. I've pointed out every time you've brought it up that you would immediately gut the corporate and members revenue by changing the orientation, and the comparison to the stadium in Akron, a new build, is just nonsense.

I do realise it is "pie in the sky" shit, but if there was will behind this, every obstical could be overcome EASILY!!

If they were worried about corporate areas they could build new areas into the new stand. Hell, if they wanted to go whole hog they could just build seating on the southern side and put a high-rise on the north...

bmbonera.jpg

...This is one of the more basic examples, but you get the idea.

One entire side is dedicated to corporate boxes. There are example in the US (i cant remember the name of the top of my head) that full building; one side with a view of the field, the rest dedicated to retail, offices, school facilities or whatever else they need.

unforgiven

Bench
Ive said this a few times here but this, IMO, is the best way to make ANZ a decent viewing experience...

unr0.png

Run the field east to west, leave the current east and west stands (they are 129m apart i am lead to believe, perfect length for a field).

Knock down the barely existent north and south stands, come forward to the tunnels (about 90m apart), and build decent stands (imagine the old stadium wings, just brought forward).

With the current roof structure in place, these stands would not need to support a roof and would therefore be very cheap compared to other options. This...

6141753.jpeg

...was built in 2009 for $30mil, because it didnt need to support a roof structure.

If this was done, we would end up with a stadium comparable to this...

MetLife_Day.jpg

I knew you were going to post this, I think the idea could possibly work but I really don't think we will see a rebuild of that magnitude to ANZ.

JonnoM

Juniors
Doesn't fix the fact that those lower stands are too shallow. The rise is not steep enough and puts the majority of spectators too far from the field.
Actually it does improve it.
Ground is lowered by around 5m improving the rake of the stands

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I knew you were going to post this, I think the idea could possibly work but I really don't think we will see a rebuild of that magnitude to ANZ.

WOOHOO!!!! im internet famous...

yeh, i know i post this way too much, but id rather people heard the idea and call me an idiot for it, then never hear it at all. It was kind of a eureka moment the first time i realised this COULD be done, so i imagine most people never had the thought.

I know nothing will come of it, but its still fun arguing about...

Last edited:
On another note, a few weeks ago i was at a Roosters game (first time ive made the trek via train). Moore Park is such a shitty location!!! if the the NRL can get funding, instead of putting the money into the SFS they should lobby for a new location.

Right in the city just cannot happen but if they were to look for land just outside im sure they could find something better placed than they have now. For example, the Wentworth Park land south of Pyrmont would be easy to secure and if they were a bit more ambitious they could even get a look in around Tumbalong Park area (a few streets away for Town Hall Station and right in the thick of it ala city life.)

In a location like that i bet they could fill the ground just with people out for the night and randomly decided to go...

There is plenty of reclaimable airspace over the tracks between Central and Redfern :D

applesauce

Bench
You know what would be a great idea?!?! Run ANZ east to west (switching the grandstands and field orientation). This would bring the fans closer and improve the gradient of the stands. It would look something like METLIFE stadium in New York. What does everyone think?

Latest posts