What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know this is all pie in the sky stuff, but what would the capacity be if you did this reconfiguration of ANZ stadium?

Im not an engineer, so im happy to be corrected if anyone else had a better estimate, but...

Considering everything i could find about ANZs lower bowl capacity and all similar projects in england and the US, my estimate was mid 70,000 (depending on the exact plans used). It wouldnt be any less than 70,000 unless they really f**ked it up.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I dont think we'll see the north/south end becoming the east/west end and vice versa, because the coropates (occupying the executive boxes on the current east/west ends) wont be happy to view rugby league on the goal ends and view cricket on its side.

Goal end is where they put corporates at most stadiums, including in the US. From what i could figure out, this plan would only cut off one on each end.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Rectangular wouldn't happen with him or without him.

They're pushing for cricket in a big way as well. They need the all year revenue.

The only way a rectangular configuration would happen is if the NRL paid them off and/or the NRL guaranteed a large increase in games there.

That said I do believe Sydney deserves a much better dedicated rectangular stadium.

This is why i think the NRL needs to get in bed with the A League. Their not directly in competition and they have a lot shared goals (Rectangular stadium, ect.). They could even creaate deals on reduced membership if you commit to both leagues.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I only just discovered that Eden park in Aukland is directed East-West instead of the standard North-South.

Can anyone that know tell me why they have done this, if their are any other examples of this around the world and what kind of things they do to reduce the inevitable sun problem.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I only just discovered that Eden park in Aukland is directed East-West instead of the standard North-South.

Can anyone that know tell me why they have done this, if their are any other examples of this around the world and what kind of things they do to reduce the inevitable sun problem.

Old Trafford runs East-West. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples around the world too.

El Diablo

Post Whore
can't see this has been mentioned here http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/upton_kicks_new_stadium_proposal_71cDB4mL2CJcC4oVFHJ80N

Upton kicks new stadium proposal into touch
PUBLISHED: 02 Dec 2013 04:51:48 | UPDATED: 02 Dec 2013 04:51:48

John Stensholt

NSW Sports Minister Gabrielle Upton admits a new stadium in western *Sydney that could fit 40,000 to 50,000 spectators would be a boost for sport in the state but says budgetary issues make any such commitment unclear.

Speaking three months after she was elevated to cabinet by Premier Barry O’Farrell to replace former sports minister Graham Annesley, who quit state parliament to become chief executive of NRL club Gold Coast Titans, Upton says the government has done a good job in upgrading several stadiums.

“In terms of tier-one stadiums, we have contributed $177 million to the upgrading of the Sydney Cricket Ground, which will be finished in time for the Ashes test in January,” she says. “And for tier two, there is the *$29 million upgrade at Parramatta *Stadium over the next 1.5 years, which will add about 3600 seats and improve corporate hospitality and player change-room facilities.”

But she admits a new western Sydney stadium, which could potentially house the fast-growing A-league club Western Sydney Wanderers and several NRL clubs, could be problematic.

“There is demand for it, but governments are facing budgetary restraints at the moment,” Upton says.

But some deals have been struck since Upton began her job in August.

The NSW government is set to sign a long-term deal with Nathan Tinkler’s Hunter Sports Group for his Newcastle Jets A-League club and NRL side Newcastle Knights, although the issue of a $400,000 debt regarding ground improvements is yet to be solved.

Upton has also successfully moved legislation that tightens the licensing and other requirements of promoters and participants in combat sports.

The NSW government has also signed deals to lure major events such as a baseball series next year at the *Sydney Cricket Ground between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona *Diamondbacks. It is also paying about $10 million to assist the running of The Championships horse racing event.

Upton had a career in business before entering state parliament at the 2011 election.

She was a banking and finance lawyer before moving to New York in the 1990s, where she was a banker with Deutsche Bank and Toronto-Dominion Bank. She returned to Australia in 2000 to be legal counsel at the Australian Institute of Company Directors and was also deputy chancellor at the *University of NSW.

“I think, in business terms, I can bring my skills to the major venues we have oversight over,” Upton says.

“Though my work in finance and a lawyer, for example, I’ve got an understanding of infrastructure and the funding of it.”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Linkage to the possible brookvale upgrade. Ironic soccer is going to have a club based around the same geographical spread as the failed northern eagles concept.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...ast-mariners-to-brookvale-20131207-2yy5m.html

I really do want to like you, but you really are just not that bright.

While, yes, the Northern Eagles do share the same geographic spread, it was not the geographic spread that lead to their failure. History, politics and small-penis syndrome lead to the Norths-Manly divide, but those factors and their given geographic location were not mutually dependant factors.

You made the same logical fallacy in that other thread, regarding the WA board walk out. Even if there were parallels to this situation and Super League, Super League was not inherently bad, it was just mostly bad.

The point is, drawing parallels is pointless unless you can show how these specific traits were the aspects that you would define as "bad" and not simply "present".

CC_Roosters

First Grade
$177 million for upgrade of Sydney cricket ground (which was already good enough as far as I'm concerned). Yet when it comes to a western Sydney rectangular stadium the government faces "budgetary restraints".

It is ridiculous what they have spent on the scg. The swans never filled it before the renovations and still won't after. Definitely overkill for 99% of cricket, maybe a deciding test match in the ashes might pull in a capacity crowd

applesauce

Bench
Found this online has been overlooked in this thread (1st of November release):

Report gives tick to city-changing superstadium project
ANTHONY TEMPLETON TOWNSVILLE BULLETIN NOVEMBER 01, 2013 12:00AM

THE feasibility study into Townsville's combined superstadium and entertainment centre has recommended the project go ahead and be completed by 2020 to replace the city's ageing facilities currently in use.

The plans for the superstadium, to be built on the southern fringe of the CBD, include a 30,000-seat outdoor sports stadium and indoor facilities capable of hosting entertainment or sporting events with crowds of up to 6000 people.

The feasibility study, completed by international consultanting firm KPMG, found building a new superstadium and entertainment centre in the CBD to be better value for money than trying to repair the ageing 1300SMILES Stadium and the Townsville Entertainment and Convention Centre.

"The Feasibility Study recommends the development of an integrated stadium and entertainment centre (ISEC) in the Townsville CBD," a summary of the feasibility study said.

"(T)he facility is likely to be required by 2020."

The superstadium is expected to cost between $306.7 million and $315.5 million, depending on which South Townsville site is chosen as the location for the facility.

"Both the 'Southbank Railyards' (land owned by property development group Devine) and Dean St sites have equal capacity to make a strong and dynamic architectural statement with unique characteristics," the summary said.

The superstadium bid has had the support of local business and political heavyweights as well as Cowboys co-captain Johnathan Thurston, who said the need for the facility went past football.

Mayor Jenny Hill said the feasibility study proved the superstadium was vital to the economic future of Townsville.

"We don't need the stadium to be built tomorrow but we do need a commitment soon," Cr Hill said.

"Without it we risk losing our national sporting teams in the future, as well as missing out on international concerts and entertainment acts."

Townsville Enterprise chief executive David Kippin said the superstadium was a "must have" to keep the Crocodiles NBL club and the Cowboys NRL side.

"Without a solid commitment that Townsville will get a new stadium and entertainment centre by 2020 we could lose both the licences for the Crocs and the Cowboys," he said.

Sport and Recreation Minister Steve Dickson said the State Government must balance the need for new facilities against the cost.

"Our Government is committed to providing sport, recreational and tourism opportunities wherever possible, however the financial wellbeing of our state must remain our highest priority," he said.

"Any consideration of a State Government funding commitment to such a project could only begin to be discussed once the Newman Government has made much bigger steps toward reducing Labor's $81 billion black hole of debt."

The feasibility study found the superstadium needed to be wholly funded by government to ensure the project was completed.

Townsville City Council's response to the feasibility study will be released publicly today.

Feasibility study link here.

PROPOSED SITES:
1) Southbank Railyard Site
1AAxNit.jpg

2) Dean Street Site
2d71l0M.jpg

NEW RENDERS:
918657-20131001superstadium.jpg

2i0A7XH.jpg

Yeah, like Townsville/cowboys will lose their license if the stadium isn't built. FFS do these politicians actually listen to what they are saying.

Nice stadium though. Hope they get the upgrade.

souths1908

Juniors
Jeez it would be nice if souths could play in a 40-50 thousand seat stadium, like suncorp. That is actually located in the south sydney area.. can only dream i guess:(

souths1908

Juniors
When the talk started about Hefron park I was hoping it would be a stadium, even the SFS would be better then Olympic park.. I guess the financial benefits for the club is big enough for them to continue to play out at Oympic.

Latest posts