What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future signings????

Fingerbang

Bench
I have seen around a dozen Sharks games this year, and probably no more than 2 games where Bird has shown he would be worth paying the money he supposedly wanted. I still fail to see where everyone wanted him to play for us....surely not in place of Marshall or Widdop. And he would've been found lacking eventually if picked in the centres all year, and surely not a bench spot on a bench that is already small and light on.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
players worth on the open market lol did you ever stop to consider certain players think they are worth more than they actually are.

bird didn't want to wait and left end of story.

It's like buying a car or a house...it's worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. ;-)

Hope the likes of Dufty don't leave either because they "aren't ready for first grade".

Guvner

First Grade
Bird did and still does want to play centre. Would have been a walk up for us there this year. And he will be there for the Sharks next year. There is a reason Mulholland bent over backwards to try and turn him around, he is a gun. But it was proper f**ked by the time he got here. He wanted an opportunity, the sharks gave him one. And he has killed it. Good luck to them and him.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Hi I'm new to this forum. I think we should sign a speedster on the wing like Reece Robinson or Glen Fishiahi. Also a strike centre in the mould of will Hopoate, kirisome Auv'a or jamal idris, max 300k only. And add some forwards for depth like Francis Molo, Addin Fonua-Blake, Dunais Lui, tinirau Arona, Ava seumanufagai and James Gavet. I think we should re-sign Craig Garvey, Shanon Crook, Luke page and Shannon Wakeman

Wakeman hasn't improved in NSW Cup like he should have if up to making it in the NRL.

Fisiiahi has recently signed with the Waikato Chiefs in Super Rugby

We are signing Dunamis Lui, but Addin Fonua Blake has been released. There's been some talk we are/ were interested in Seumanufagai.

grouch

First Grade
And what should we have done to keep him? He was off contract, offered a renewal by us, but decided to go with another offer. All his own doing.

Ok, so you probably gonna say give him the 1st grade spot he wanted. In place of Marshall or Widdop? Nothing wrong with a kid from 20's biding him time to prove he is worthy of a 1st grade spot.

Nothing wrong with that at all... if you're a successful club with a settled roster and a trusted coach. Patience is easier to foster among your young stars in that case. under other circumstances they need a clear pathway.

I'd have paid him market value and given him a starting centre spot ahead of an utter dud like Dane Nielsen (and ahead of non-duds but less talented Farrell, Matautia and Aitken)

Fingerbang

Bench
Nothing wrong with that at all... if you're a successful club with a settled roster and a trusted coach. Patience is easier to foster among your young stars in that case. under other circumstances they need a clear pathway.

I'd have paid him market value and given him a starting centre spot ahead of an utter dud like Dane Nielsen (and ahead of non-duds but less talented Farrell, Matautia and Aitken)
Well that is where we disagree. I think Aitken is a better centre than Bird, and certainly a mainstay centre for some time. I reckon Bird would have struggled at centre in 1st grade for any extended period of time.

BennyV

Referee
Well that is where we disagree. I think Aitken is a better centre than Bird, and certainly a mainstay centre for some time. I reckon Bird would have struggled at centre in 1st grade for any extended period of time.

...based on what?!

V

Vasilevsky

...based on what?!

Based on Bird playing for the Shonkies and Aitken playing for the Dragons. Is it not enough. Added to the fact that I think Aitken is more evasive and half a step faster though Bird is probably a better ball player and defender.

V

Vasilevsky

More rumors that Hopoate is on his way out of Parra and that Manly, Bullgrubs and Storm are chasing him. How is it possible those 3 teams have room under the salary cap to chase him but the Dragons don't?

Fingerbang

Bench
...based on what?!
Based on what I have seen of him with my own eyes. Sorry, but I just don't see the gun in him that others do. Don't get me wrong, he can play, and I am not saying does not deserve a 1st grade spot at Sharks. But I just feel the praise he gets is not warranted yet. As for a centre role, I reckon there are plenty of quick and skillful opposition centres around who would have no problems opposing him.

giboz71

First Grade
I understand the logic that Bird had Widdop and Benji in front of him as the reason for not trying harder to keep him. His best position is probably in the halves.

But look at how the Roosters brought through Tuivasa-Sheck. He’s a fullback through and through, probably the best in the game right now. But the Roosters had their club captain in front of him, did the Roosters tell him find another club to play FG?

No, they gave him a wing spot at 19 (younger than Bird), and he won a Dally M wing of the year and a premiership in the process. And the best part, he was probably on a rookie contract when they won the comp which allowed them to chase guys like Sonny Bill, Jennings and Maloney.

Bird would have been fine playing centre or a ball playing lock this year, then he could have moved to the halves when Benji or Widdop moved on. And maybe we wouldn't have needed to play a prop at half last week.

We're just not smart enough to think that far ahead.

The Nick

Bench
I understand the logic that Bird had Widdop and Benji in front of him as the reason for not trying harder to keep him. His best position is probably in the halves.

But look at how the Roosters brought through Tuivasa-Sheck. He?s a fullback through and through, probably the best in the game right now. But the Roosters had their club captain in front of him, did the Roosters tell him find another club to play FG?

No, they gave him a wing spot at 19 (younger than Bird), and he won a Dally M wing of the year and a premiership in the process. And the best part, he was probably on a rookie contract when they won the comp which allowed them to chase guys like Sonny Bill, Jennings and Maloney.

Bird would have been fine playing centre or a ball playing lock this year, then he could have moved to the halves when Benji or Widdop moved on. And maybe we wouldn't have needed to play a prop at half last week.

Yeah we def shoulda dropped Merrin or Cooper to NSW Cup to keep him....

I like Bird, he's a good player. But I honestly don't understand the infatuation with him on this forum. Prior to his debut people hardly had anything to say about him. As soon as he left you would think he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

Is he a good player? Yes. Future Immortal? Probably not. Given his medical history will he even reach 150 games in first grade?

giboz71

First Grade
Yeah we def shoulda dropped Merrin or Cooper to NSW Cup to keep him....

I like Bird, he's a good player. But I honestly don't understand the infatuation with him on this forum. Prior to his debut people hardly had anything to say about him. As soon as he left you would think he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ.

Is he a good player? Yes. Future Immortal? Probably not. Given his medical history will he even reach 150 games in first grade?

No I wouldn't have done that. But he would have slotted nice into the games that Matthews and Marketo have played this year don't you think?

I had honestly gotten over the whole Bird thing until last week when De Belin started at half and Hutch (our heir apparent for our halves) sat on the bench getting cold, clearly coz our coaches have zero confidence in him.

It was then I realised we have NO back up halves worth putting into the game which just proves how royally f**ked our roster is this year.

grouch

First Grade
He was mentioned on the forum.. no surprise though that he wasn't a constant topic since not everybody watches the NYC games.

But I don't see how you don't get the infatuation. How many young backrowers capable of playing in the halves are there in rugby league? They are pretty rare and pretty valuable. And we had one. He's played under 20's for NSW and doesn't look out of place in NRL, in fact he looks set to win rookie of the year or go close to it.

Didn't realise we were setting the bar at future immortal. Wish we'd set the bar that high in other areas of the organisation.

And the injury question didn't stop us signing the Stanleys a couple of times

V

Vasilevsky

But look at how the Roosters brought through Tuivasa-Sheck. He?s a fullback through and through, probably the best in the game right now. But the Roosters had their club captain in front of him, did the Roosters tell him find another club to play FG?

If we are (justifiably) upset about the lack of speed in the outside backs, do you think Bird would have rectified that problem? And he is 2 or 3 years and a lot of eating and gym work off being able to play in the middle as locks do these days.

Just forget about it. Bird was an interchange utility at best for this year and almost certainly next and simply wanted more money than the club was willing to pay. I think the club was correct.

Up until this point, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he will be a huge loss. The only thing this team really needs now is at least one, hopefully two, good and fast 3/4s. Bird isn't that.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors

Watch us f$&ck up dufty. He turns 20 in January next year, he'll be the next to leave.

rainman44

Bench
Wakeman hasn't improved in NSW Cup like he should have if up to making it in the NRL.

Fisiiahi has recently signed with the Waikato Chiefs in Super Rugby

We are signing Dunamis Lui, but Addin Fonua Blake has been released. There's been some talk we are/ were interested in Seumanufagai.

Addin Fonua Blake will be with us again next year, the only reason we sacked him this year was for us to sign Page and the titans player for this year.

BennyV

Referee
If we are (justifiably) upset about the lack of speed in the outside backs, do you think Bird would have rectified that problem? And he is 2 or 3 years and a lot of eating and gym work off being able to play in the middle as locks do these days.

Just forget about it. Bird was an interchange utility at best for this year and almost certainly next and simply wanted more money than the club was willing to pay. I think the club was correct.

Up until this point, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he will be a huge loss. The only thing this team really needs now is at least one, hopefully two, good and fast 3/4s. Bird isn't that.

The kid has single handedly won several games for a team above us on the ladder, including a MoM performance in his debut at 5/8.

But yeah, all hail the club for letting him leave.

Latest posts