What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future signings????

denis preston

First Grade
Well you must have been watching different games to me. I saw he played well in his first game, got found out very badly in the first game against an almost full-strength Dragons team and hasn't been better than average in any other games. But then again, I don't watch all Shonkies games. From what I have seen I would rather Marketo in the forwards, Benji and Widdop in the halves and even though I know Aiken hasn't set the world on fire thus far, from what I have seen I would prefer he and Matautai in the centres.

On a brighter note, I would prefer Bird to Farrell but Mary tried to offload Farrell already. Not his fault no one wanted him.

You had me until Marketo. To say you prefer him to Bird would suggest you have had something to do with our previous signings before Mulholland !

V

Vasilevsky

You had me until Marketo. To say you prefer him to Bird would suggest you have had something to do with our previous signings before Mulholland !

No. I would prefer Bird be in the Dragons team than Marketo but strictly as a forward, I would prefer Marketo. That is my point. As far as I can see Bird is a utility player. Be good to have but now he is gone, not a great loss in my opinion.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bird's contract is up at the end of next year at Sharks. Maybe Saints can get him from 2017 since they are planning on a big shopping spree for 2017. Bird in for Benji.

giboz71

First Grade
Forgetting about Jack Bird for a second, it’s the roster management I am questioning.

Was there for all to see on last week. We had a prop playing half and a reggies back rower playing wing in a game that could possibly cost us our season. We have a backup 5/8 who our coaches won’t put in (presumably as he can’t cut it).

At the start of the year our starting centres were a washed up NRL journey man (Nielsen) and possibly the slowest outside back in the NRL (Farrell). Jake Marketo, who is probably the same size as Bird, just slower and 1/8th of the talent has been a bench forward all year.

Yet, Jack Bird (who got a rep jumper after 4 FG games ffs) was told we couldn’t guarantee him a spot in our FG squad??

Is it a wonder he bolted for the Sharks, given who has played FG for us this year?

I know all this happened prior to Mulholland’s arrival and he’s doing his best to fix it. I just hope whoever made these roster decisions is nowhere near the club next year.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Forgetting about Jack Bird for a second, it?s the roster management I am questioning.

Was there for all to see on last week. We had a prop playing half and a reggies back rower playing wing in a game that could possibly cost us our season. We have a backup 5/8 who our coaches won?t put in (presumably as he can?t cut it).

At the start of the year our starting centres were a washed up NRL journey man (Nielsen) and possibly the slowest outside back in the NRL (Farrell). Jake Marketo, who is probably the same size as Bird, just slower and 1/8th of the talent has been a bench forward all year.

Yet, Jack Bird (who got a rep jumper after 4 FG games ffs) was told we couldn?t guarantee him a spot in our FG squad??

Is it a wonder he bolted for the Sharks, given who has played FG for us this year?

I know all this happened prior to Mulholland?s arrival and he?s doing his best to fix it. I just hope whoever made these roster decisions is nowhere near the club next year.

Lets hope we manage Dufty, Izacc Thompson and AFB better

Talk about squad management, what's the salary cap this year, 6 million? And this money is handed over to us directly from the NRL, right? Lets pretend for a minute that we have zero third party payments for any of our top 25. Even considering no third party payments, I seriously cannot fathom how our top 25 is worth 6 million. Our highest paid is Dugan on 700k. The halves are on peanuts compared to other halves in the game. Something doesn't add up.

watatank

Coach
Well I'd imagine that we overpaid to recruit and retain certain players. If other teams is the comparison you gotta think that those teams have a lot of players on other teams that are underpaid. It's all speculation anyway. I'd imagine that Mullholland would have a better grasp of things in any case.

hardbaby

Coach
I think it's how much we have over paid juniors like Hunt and Green. But yeah you do wonder where the money goes.

watatank

Coach
I highly doubt Green is overpaid. Would say that the only reason he even played this year was because he was cheap.

Forgetting about Jack Bird for a second, it’s the roster management I am questioning.

Was there for all to see on last week. We had a prop playing half and a reggies back rower playing wing in a game that could possibly cost us our season. We have a backup 5/8 who our coaches won’t put in (presumably as he can’t cut it).

Yet, Jack Bird (who got a rep jumper after 4 FG games ffs) was told we couldn’t guarantee him a spot in our FG squad??

I know all this happened prior to Mulholland’s arrival and he’s doing his best to fix it. I just hope whoever made these roster decisions is nowhere near the club next year.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Bird was a quality talent and more importantly versatile, we should have been able to find a place for him somewhere. He would have given us more options. I would add that Matautia, one of out current centres could have made his way onto the team through the wing, another position we are short on.

V

Vasilevsky

Lets hope we manage Dufty, Izacc Thompson and AFB better

Talk about squad management, what's the salary cap this year, 6 million? And this money is handed over to us directly from the NRL, right? Lets pretend for a minute that we have zero third party payments for any of our top 25. Even considering no third party payments, I seriously cannot fathom how our top 25 is worth 6 million. Our highest paid is Dugan on 700k. The halves are on peanuts compared to other halves in the game. Something doesn't add up.

I think you will find that any player poached from another club, who that club didn't want to lose isn't on peanuts. Widdop and Thompson for example. Furthermore, I think you will find the Dragons are still paying a very significant % of Beales salary and the way Price raved about Farrell and the fact no other club wanted him, suggests he is also on very good money. Dan Hunt was one of the highest paid props and Nightingale is still one of the highest paid wingers. The highest according to some reports. Cooper wouldn't have come from the UK for peanuts and Creagh is still on big money this year. If Frizzell and JDB haven't been upgraded yet, they should be.

But you are still right. Merrin is apparently the lowest paid Origin player and of course Morris is no longer on the books. Regular first graders like Aitken, Matautai and Matthews are likely on peanuts and Marketo on a minimum wage. It doesn't make sense to me either.

giboz71

First Grade
Yeah, it's frustrating. Bird was a quality talent and more importantly versatile, we should have been able to find a place for him somewhere. He would have given us more options. I would add that Matautia, one of out current centres could have made his way onto the team through the wing, another position we are short on.

We just need to be smarter.

Losing Bird is akin to the Rabbits losing Reynolds, Keary or Walker. Or the Roosters losing Tuivasa-Sheck, Cordner, Napa or Evans. The better clubs just don't let their prized rookies walk away, that's why they're successful.

We're already behind the 8 ball with TPA's, we can't be compounding this with ridiculous roster decisions as well regarding players right under our noses.

merahputih

Juniors
Hi all. New to FRF so I thought I'd kick off by mentioning a player movement that seems to have gone under the radar-that almost a dragon Tim Moltzen signing a 1 year deal with Manly. Let's wish him all the best. As they say in theatrical circles, "Break a leg!"

Fingerbang

Bench
We just need to be smarter.

Losing Bird is akin to the Rabbits losing Reynolds, Keary or Walker. Or the Roosters losing Tuivasa-Sheck, Cordner, Napa or Evans. The better clubs just don't let their prized rookies walk away, that's why they're successful.

We're already behind the 8 ball with TPA's, we can't be compounding this with ridiculous roster decisions as well regarding players right under our noses.
When did Tuivasa-Sheck backflip?

giboz71

First Grade
When did Tuivasa-Sheck backflip?

Yes, he eventually left, but this is his 4th year in FG and he helped his team win a premiership in the process, with the strong possibility of a second this year. Not a bad investment from a player they brought through their system don't you think?

Unless Drew Hutchison leads us to a comp in the next year or 2, I'll assume the Roosters retention of their juniors is a bit better than ours.

V

Vasilevsky

Yes, he eventually left, but this is his 4th year in FG and he helped his team win a premiership in the process, with the strong possibility of a second this year. Not a bad investment from a player they brought through their system don't you think?

Unless Drew Hutchison leads us to a comp in the next year or 2, I'll assume the Roosters retention of their juniors is a bit better than ours.

Is has been for the past 7 years but there is a new regime in place now. Bird was already gone before the new regime took over. I think/hope/expect young players will again start coming through on a regular basis. Not sure about Drew Hutchison though. Benji and Widdop and Mann for backup. Maybe Crook is a brighter prospect. I think we should be more looking at Thompson and maybe Dufty and AFB for next year. A big, fast young winger with footwork and skill, like Cooper and Gaz some years ago is exactly what this team needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bottle

Coach
I always laugh when I read 'Roosters' and 'juniors' in the same sentence. Particularly when there is discussion about the players they 'brought through their system'. There's a reason for that, $$$$$. There is no cap that limits the stockpiling of the best junior talent out there as young as they can get them. It's a great nursery they have, the entire country.

giboz71

First Grade
I always laugh when I read 'Roosters' and 'juniors' in the same sentence. Particularly when there is discussion about the players they 'brought through their system'. There's a reason for that, $$$$$. There is no cap that limits the stockpiling of the best junior talent out there as young as they can get them. It's a great nursery they have, the entire country.

Which makes the loss of Bird an even bigger screw up. He was already in our system, right under our noses, no financial incentives needed. And it's not like the Sharks are flush with cash??

All we needed to do was find a spot in our FG squad, and given what was dished up tonight (despite the win), I'm still scratching my head how we couldn't manage that.