What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future signings????

V

Vasilevsky

The kid has single handedly won several games for a team above us on the ladder, including a MoM performance in his debut at 5/8.

But yeah, all hail the club for letting him leave.

As I said on another thread or earlier on this thread about the Shonkies. They are imposters in the top 8. They played the Dragons which was basically the NSW Cup team + Widdop, just beat the Cowboys without Thurston and just snatched a win against the Warriors minus Johnson. Given their extremely poor for and against, those 3 games would have already had them where they truly belong, pretty much out of finals contention.

Maybe the club made a mistake by not offering Bird a contract he couldn't refuse but at this stage, I haven't seen anything to suggest that is the case. When the Dragons played the Shonkies first time Bird was badly exposed in defence. Does anyone really believe he could be playing in the forwards anytime soon? Strictly as a forward interchange, I'd prefer Marketo.

On the other hand, does anyone really believe he will become a really good centre? Given his speed or lack thereof, I think he will find it difficult to hold down a centre position even for the Shonkies.

You are welcome to your opinion but in mine, he isn't a big loss.

Fingerbang

Bench
But yeah, all hail the club for letting him leave.
Just won't sink in, will it.....the club did not let him go. We offered him a new contract but he chose to accept another offer. How hard is that to comprehend?

I agree with Vasil????? Not that big a loss.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I am more excited about Izaac Thompson as a possible left centre/winger . Although only 18 he has size speed and great foot work . I have watched him a few times and reminds me a bit of Inglis .

Fingerbang

Bench
How many young backrowers capable of playing in the halves are there in rugby league?
Rory Kostjason, Matt Gillett, Alex Glenn, Greg Bird, Feleti Mateo, Blake Leary, Mitch Aubusson, John Sutton, Glen Stewart, Nathan Peats, Tyrone Roberts, Josh Jackson, Tony Williams, JDB, Blake Austin, Tohu Harris....may have forgotten one or two.

hardbaby

Coach
It looks like we will be very active on the player market in 2017 and that is the year we would be looking at in all fairness. Firstly the salary cap increases. I do believe we have some coin for next year but the better players have signed already.

We have moved on both Hunt and Merrin. That's 800k. Green was on 200k or thereabouts. I don't think they will re-sign Marshall. That's another 500k. We will let go some fillers. And we haven't signed anything expensive. I reckon the dragons will have over 2 million to play with in 2017.

We already have the basis of a strong team but are short a few match winners. I'm expecting an improved side next year as our team matures from within and especially with the power signings in the pack. But I'm expecting a few gun backline signings for 2017.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Just won't sink in, will it.....the club did not let him go. We offered him a new contract but he chose to accept another offer. How hard is that to comprehend?

Would be nice to have kept him on a reasonable sum but he was promised a start in firsts and a lot more money. Maybe if Morris had've manned up earlier, we wouldn't even be talking about this? By that stage, the horse had bolted.

Founa Blake was sacked to sign Page and Ioane really lol thats the funniest thing I have read.

To think he got charged with assult I guess that had nothing to do with it.

Dufty will get a chance but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
It looks like we will be very active on the player market in 2017 and that is the year we would be looking at in all fairness. Firstly the salary cap increases. I do believe we have some coin for next year but the better players have signed already.

Heard this before when Gasnier, Smith, Costigan, Scott, Boyd, Cooper and Hornby left. With all due respect to Thompson, Widdop, Dugan an Marshall, I don't think we replaced like for like.

In all seriousness, who are we going to target for 2017?

Perhaps this is why losing juniors like Bird and Hastings is all the more frustrating.

BennyV

Referee

Time will tell, but if his first season as a 19 year old is anything to go by, its hard to agree.

BennyV is a bit slow. Cut him some slack.

:lol: This guy!!

Top notch input!

rainman44

Bench
Founa Blake was sacked to sign Page and Ioane really lol thats the funniest thing I have read.

To think he got charged with assult I guess that had nothing to do with it.

Dufty will get a chance but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

Well keep laughing because that is what has happened before the June 30 deadline, he will be back next year. The souths centre got 20 odd weeks and that will be the same for Addin and saints will not be letting him go.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Can we all please forget Bird already! How long are we going to talk about a guy who decided to leave the club. Even if the Club's handling of the matter could have been better, tthe Sharks, have been throwing money around and, supposedly, he demanded to be selected in first grade. Move on, move on.

V

Vasilevsky

Time will tell, but if his first season as a 19 year old is anything to go by, its hard to agree.

Well you must have been watching different games to me. I saw he played well in his first game, got found out very badly in the first game against an almost full-strength Dragons team and hasn't been better than average in any other games. But then again, I don't watch all Shonkies games. From what I have seen I would rather Marketo in the forwards, Benji and Widdop in the halves and even though I know Aiken hasn't set the world on fire thus far, from what I have seen I would prefer he and Matautai in the centres.

On a brighter note, I would prefer Bird to Farrell but Mary tried to offload Farrell already. Not his fault no one wanted him.

blacksafake

First Grade
The biggest loss is B Moz. Like losing Michael O'Connor and Craig Fitzgibbon.

My tab account has taken a dive since he left,was always good for 1st try or even last try & multis.I wont back him now he plays for the dogs.I haven't found a replacement as we seldom score any tries:(

Latest posts