What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gains, Losses and Re-Signings

Noa

First Grade
So according to those at the game Niko & Kite are gonskis.

Not really suprised about either.

Noa

First Grade
Slade Griffen, Mahe Fonua, Kenny Bromwich, Tohu Harris & Jordan McLean were mentioned on the NYC coverage as having been offered fulltime spots next year.

Add Brayden Wiliame & Ben Hampton to this list of NYC players moving to the full-time squad.

Last edited:

ballbag

Juniors
Heard you have signed Mitch garbutt from wests Newcastle in real NRL for two years he played NYC in 09 for the knights he was a compulsive offloader but has reduced that part of his game

Noa

First Grade
Heard you have signed Mitch garbutt from wests Newcastle in real NRL for two years he played NYC in 09 for the knights he was a compulsive offloader but has reduced that part of his game

Sounds like a high reward low risk signing. Bellamy should have him in a sky blue jersey by 2015.

billy2

Juniors
Mitch Garbutt will bloom in Melbourne.
He is currently 194cm and 120kg, and doesn't look fat at 120, but i have a feeling he should try to shed 10kg to get a bit more stamina for firstgrade.
He played 70 minutes in the Newcastle grandfinal this year and was going stronger in the second half than the first, but obviously you can't drag that bulk around at firstgrade pace for long minutes.
The guy is a mad off loader. He did 12 good off loads in one game of NYC once. His size, upper body strength and giant arms make him hard to wrap up.

Garbo in NYC - he's put about 10kg of extra muscle on that frame since.

Garbutt.jpg

Last edited:

MsStorm

Bench
Just what we need, someone who can offload the ball.

We missed Adam Blair in that dept. against the Warriors.

Inglis#3

Juniors
The signing of Siosaia Vave is a good one and will be one of the buys of the season, he has been going good guns in the NSW Cup and is a young big boy. Just what we need and missed a little in 2011, he will add so much more impact that what Woolnough was adding in this season.

billy2

Juniors
From the Newcastle Herald

<H1>Storm take a punt on rough diamond Garbutt
BY JOSH LEESON
08 Oct, 2011 04:00 AM
WESTERN Suburbs prop Mitchell Garbutt is poised to sign with the Melbourne Storm after impressing the NRL heayweights with his performance in last month&#8217;s Newcastle Rugby League grand final.
The 22-year-old has been offered a one-year deal, with a second-season option.
Garbutt, who is expected to officially sign next week, would begin pre-season training in the Victorian capital next month.
The 120-kilogram, 192-centimetre big bopper was arguably the best front-rower in the local league this season and is renowned for his mobility and ball-playing skills.
In Wests&#8217; 19-18 golden-point grand final loss to Maitland, many judges believed Garbutt was the man of the match, but the official award went to Pickers halfback Mick Moran.
But the performance did not go unnoticed.
Storm recruitment manager Darren Bell contacted Garbutt&#8217;s manager Chris Haddad only days after the game.
&#8216;&#8216;I was happy to keep playing in the local league, but I thought it was too good an opportunity, so I thought I would take it,&#8217;&#8217; Garbutt said.
The Wests junior played Harold Matthews, SG Ball and under 20s for the Knights but was unwanted once he became too old for the National Youth Cup at the end of the 2009 season.
Storm coach Craig Bellamy is among the NRL&#8217;s leading coaches and has developed a reputation for turning rough diamonds into quality first-graders.
One of Bellamy&#8217;s recent success stories is 22-year-old Jesse Bromwich, who earned a nomination for Dally M prop of the year in his first full season in the top grade.
Garbutt said the opportunity to play under Bellamy was a massive lure.
Garbutt credited Rosellas coach Craig Miller for his stellar season and enabling him to attract the attention of the Storm. Previously Garbutt had been criticised for running sideways and forcing too many offloads. &#8216;&#8216;Craig Miller helped me out a lot this year and showed me where I was going wrong,&#8217;&#8217; he said. &#8216;&#8216;I played a lot more direct and that came from him. &#8216;&#8216;It&#8217;s all a calculated risk when you pass and you&#8217;re not going to get into trouble if it&#8217;s a good ball.&#8217;&#8217;
</H1>http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...-a-punt-on-rough-diamond-garbutt/2316924.aspx

A bit of context - Graig 'Barney' Miller, who coached Mitch this year, is a former Knights assistant coach, and is also the father of former Storm lower grade captain Lucas Miller. Mitch also played with Lucas in under 16s and under 18s at the Knights - so he knows a few guys who would have Bellamy's number in their mobile.

little_aza

Juniors
So to update, it's looking like...

Losses:
- Adam Blair (Wests Tigers)
- Chase Stanley (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Beau Champion Gold Coast Titans
- Jake Hawkins
- Mitchell Johnson
- Sione (John) Kite
- Elijah Niko
- Robbiw Rochow
- Atelia Vea
- Troy Thompson (Retirement)
- Adam Woolnough (Retirement)

Gains:
- Ryan Hoffman (Wigan Warriors)
- Micheal Greenfield (St George Illawarra Dragons)
- Siosia Vava (Cronulla Sharks)
- Shea Moylan (Wynnum-Manly)
- Kenny Bromwich (U20s)
- Mahe Founa (U20s)
- Slade Griffin (U20s)
- Ben Hampton (U20s)
- Tohu Harris (U20s)
- Jordan McLean (U20s)

Re-Signings:
- Matt Duffie (3 years)
- Gareth Widdop (2 years, with 3rd year option)
- Kevin Proctor (3 years)
- Ryan Hinchcliffe (2 years)
- Luke Kelly (1 year)
- Bryan Norrie (2 years)
- Billy Slater (4 years)
- Maurice Blair (1 year, with 2nd year option)
- Rory Kostjasyn (1 year, with 2nd year option)
- Sisa Waqa (1 year, with 2nd year option)

Noa

First Grade
All Ive seen of him Kia is his winning try in the Q_Cup gf.

Seemed to have good agility, good speed and a medium size physique. Wouldnt expect too much from him.

thorson1987

Coach
http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/de...play&id=45383&title=bromwich-commits-to-storm

Bromwich commits to Storm

25/11/2011 7:00:17 PM

Melbourne Storm has today secured the signature of up and coming front rower Jesse Bromwich on a contract extension that will see him wear the Storm colours until the end of 2015.
The Kiwi prop enjoyed a stellar 2011 season, receiving the Rookie of the Year award with fellow rising star Gareth Widdop at the Club&#8217;s Presentation Ball. Further confirming his rising status Bromwich also earned a Dally M nomination for Prop of the Year.
The Manurewa Marlins junior is a disciple of Melbourne&#8217;s successful development program, having progressed through the ranks of the Club&#8217;s U20s. He was an integral part of the 2009 Storm NYC premiership team which also included Gareth Widdop, Kevin Proctor, Matt Duffie, Justin O&#8217;Neill and Luke Kelly. Bromwich capped of a remarkable year by being named in the 2009 Team of the Year.
Bromwich, 22, joined a rare group of players, having made his first-grade debut in the 2010 World Cup Challenge Final against Leeds. He was also selected in the 2010 NSW Cup Team of the Year.

00015181-image.jpg

© Melbourne Storm
Jesse Bromwich has committed to Storm till 2015

Heading into the 2011 season with seven NRL games to his name, Bromwich played 21 this season, completing his apprenticeship with finals experience now under his belt.
The Bromwich family tradition continues at Storm with younger brother Kenny being promoted to the Storm NRL squad for 2012 after captaining Storm&#8217;s U20s side this year.
Bromwich said he was excited to have signed a contract extension with Storm and having his family in Melbourne was also a significant factor.
&#8220;It&#8217;s great to have re-signed with Storm, it was an easy decision,&#8221; Bromwich said.
&#8220;It&#8217;s a really great Club and there are a number of other boys that I&#8217;ve come through the 20s with who I love playing with.
&#8220;With my brother now in the NRL squad the chance to play with Kenny was an important part of my decision and with a six-month old baby I&#8217;m settled in Melbourne with good family support.&#8221;
While Bromwich was pleased with his progression and various accolades, he knows there is plenty more to do.
&#8220;I think I made some good progress this season, but I want to keep improving and I know I need to start from now, working hard in the pre-season,&#8221; Bromwich said.
&#8220;Playing in the finals this year was a highlight for me and a terrific experience. We all want to do that again, but as a team we know we also need to improve for 2012 and I know I need to play my role.
&#8220;I also enjoy playing under Craig, he gets the best out of his players and I look forward to doing that over the next few years.&#8221;
Storm coach Craig Bellamy said he was delighted the Club had re-signed another one of its rising stars.
&#8220;Jesse&#8217;s re-signing is terrific news for the Club, and a key part of our retention strategy,&#8221; Bellamy said.

&#8220;He is another player who has come through the Storm system via the Club&#8217;s U20s development program.
&#8220;Jess is a great kid who is prepared to listen and learn presenting him the perfect opportunity to become a consistent NRL front rower.&#8221;

Latest posts