What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gains, Losses and Re-Signings

Evenflow

Bench
Excellent news, he came on leaps and bounds this season and will only improve even more next year and to think early days Kenny was the one meant to have all the talent and Jesse was nothing more an afterthought. Kenny will be a star as well no doubt and you'd reckon he'll be signed up long term as well now if he isn't already. With these two, the Proctologist, if (when) we sign up Siks and the likes of Tohu Harris the future of our pack looks very very bright.

Excellent news, he came on leaps and bounds this season and will only improve even more next year and to think early days Kenny was the one meant to have all the talent and Jesse was nothing more an afterthought. Kenny will be a star as well no doubt and you'd reckon he'll be signed up long term as well now if he isn't already. With these two, the Proctologist, if (when) we sign up Siks and the likes of Tohu Harris the future of our pack looks very very bright.

And they are all Kiwis !!...awesome.

Noa

First Grade
There is unease amongst many Storm fans in Melbourne he wont be around after 2012. Titans would be my pick though if he does leave.

Billythekid

First Grade
I like Cronk but i think we're going to struggle to keep all of our big name players at the club without making some huge sacrifices. I don't want to lose him but i think we could manage just fine. Having Smith at hooker makes the halfbacks job a lot easier so i think it would be easier for a new halfback to fit into our team than most.

Kells

Juniors
Here is the contract expiry list of the squad:

Losses
- Nielsen - Warriors

- Todd Lowrie
- Mahe Fonua
- Kenny Bromwich
- Slade Griffin
- Jordan McLean
- Michael Greenfield
- Jaiman Lowe
- Siosaia Vave
- Sika Manu
- Anthony Quinn
- Jason Ryles
- Luke Kelly
- Shea Moylan
- Mitch Garbutt (2013 option)
- Maurice Blair (2013 option)
- Rory Kostjasyn (2013 option)
- Sisa Waqa (2013 option)

- Ryan Hinchcliffe
- Bryan Norrie
- Gareth Widdop (2014 option)

- Cameron Smith
- Tohu Harris
- Will Chambers
- Matt Duffie
- Kevin Proctor
- Justin O'Neill
- Ryan Hoffman

- Jesse Bromwich
- Billy Slater

- Cooper Cronk

Last edited:

Kells

Juniors
i would like to re-sign:
- Mahe Fonua - good back prospect, good size.
- Kenny Bromwich - close to a game, good potential 2nd rower
- Slade Griffin - improves every year
- Michael Greenfield - been unlucky, has great size and has to be kept. good be so good if gets a regular run of games
- Jaiman Lowe - good back up
- Siosaia Vave - been so underrated, always makes great runs. great size
- Sika Manu - would love to keep him, looking doubtful. only benefit if he goes is he does seem to be injury prone?
- Jason Ryles - been great, hope they talk him into another year
- Maurice Blair (2013 option) - good back and halves back up
- Rory Kostjasyn (2013 option) - works hard, keep him
- Sisa Waqa (2013 option) - good wing back-up

as good he is currently going i would release Todd Lowrie as he looks ok in a good team and the money is better spent elsewhere rather than on a 30 year old. sure he is doing well now but in the cold light of day he is too small and dont want to waste money on an old small player.

want to release Anthony Quinn as he is on big money and not enjoying bellamy wasting a bench spot for a winger to come on and play in the 2nd row for 15 mins a game - rather sign and a play a big forward off the bench. as we are winning at the moment we seem to have forgot about last years loss to the warriors - no go forward. thats why drop small boys in quinn, lowrie, Kostjasyn (if Hinchcliffe is on the bench already) from the bench and play big boys on the bench - ryles, vave, greenfield. need giants running off the bench! you can see it when ryles plays he makes great metres.

rumour is Luke Kelly has gone to the eels next year. not bothered, got good u20s halves.

not sure on Jordan McLean, havent seen enough of him. still young, but hasnt really been in contention for a game yet so?? also not sure on Shea Moylan - prob not. also havent seen any of Mitch Garbutt but he has 2013 option.

also prob couldnt afford him but would love to sign lagi setu as his 2 year mission is done. maybe as his brother was here (but got an early release) we can talk him down to melbourne but doubt it anyway as someone will pay overs for him. but def a great potential prospect under bellamy.

thoughts?

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
Vave has re-signed apparently.

And we need to find halves, Hampton will be gone as soon as his contract is up. Few promising noes coming to play SG Ball and NYC next year though, probably our most talented group of young players in 3 or 4 years.

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie's thoughts.

- Mahe Fonua - This guy will be great in years to come. Got to keep him.
- Kenny Bromwich - Only getting better, he should be a high priority for the club. Imagine if we had two Bromwich's leading our pack in a few years, would make me happy. Not to mention he is going to get bigger and stronger.
- Slade Griffin - Great prospect for us, got to keep him.
- Michael Greenfield - I like what I have seen and I hope we can keep him.
- Siosaia Vave - Hard worker, good ethic towards footy. We need his kind around.
- Jason Ryles - WE HAVE TO KEEP HIM! for however long we can. He has been brilliant.
- Maurice Blair (2013 option) - Great solution for when injuries strike.
- Rory Kostjasyn (2013 option) - Always solid. I am sure eventually we will fit him somewhere where he feels comfy.

- Todd Lowrie - Let him go to the ESL or another club. He is a great bloke, playing games for us, but maybe a bit dated now.
- Sika Manu - Way to injury prone to be perfectly honest. Let him go get rich somewhere else while we win comps.
- Anthony Quinn - Hate to say this but Quinn's time is up. He is better off plying his trade on the wing and he won't get that at Storm. He would fit into a club like the Roosters IMO.

My priorities for next season would be:

Ryles - has had a great season and looks nowhere near retirement.
Kenny Bromwich - just needs a chance and word is he will be a regular starter.
Quinn - release. He is past his best.
Greenfield - looks promising and has size. Definitely retain him.
Lowrie - retain him. Yes he is not a star but is a bloody hard worker.

Luke Kelly will probably leave which is a shame as he will become a good player in a starting spot in years to come.

Having said that, McGahan, Sironen, Fonua will be looking to crack the first team squad next year or the year after so depth is definitely there.

Sika Manu - I would release. Will be looking for overs on his next contract and is too injury prone.

joshie

Live Update Team
so Manu off to Penrith for 3 seasons and Ryles has just been given another year on his contract.

Latest posts