What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gains, Losses and Re-Signings

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Yeah Matt Mcgahan is a first-five from MAGS.
He played NZ schoolboys Rugby couple of weekends ago.
One a national championship

Not sure how we will convert to league though.

I believe Storm have also signed Cade Umaga - Son of former All black Tana.
Cade plays for Wellington U/17s?? and recently made the NZ Merit Team for U/17s.

Havent seen him play but heard some good things.
Storm have good recruitment / scouts without a doubt.

And despite the debarcle this year they obviously still have a good brand for up and coming players.

However I notice Time Nikau (Son of tawera) trialling for Warriors NYC.
He got good physique - big, tall and fast and could handle step up to NYC.
Not sure why he didn get run in melbourne.

They have a heavy presence in Wellington / Taranaki area and have signed up some of the regions best.

Isaac robinson, pride petersen etc.

Such as.
Isaac Robinson - from Taranaki made NZ 17,s & NZ Maori 17s and is a gun outside back could play SG Ball next year or just come over for 20 in 2012.

They also signed Redeem Sagatopule??? from Manurewa - Redeem played Aucklandd 16s last year and made NZ 16s merit team.
Gun centre.

Noa

First Grade
Thanks for the info MMM. Yes we do have a great presence , and history with NZ esp the Wellington area, long may it continue thanks to Darren Bell, who is better then POS.

Noa

First Grade
....and on McGahan, I think you'll find he is an ideal partner for Ben Hampton, who strength is his running game and brilliant speed, whereas Id assume Matt would have a better kicking, passing and organising game. So a classic halves pairing really.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Thanks for the info MMM. Yes we do have a great presence , and history with NZ esp the Wellington area, long may it continue thanks to Darren Bell, who is better then POS.
Key ...David Lomax. Huge influence in Wellington region which includes Taranaki & Hawke's Bay. Former Storm man i believe...

Noa

First Grade
Btw...where will the SG Ball team play out of next season?

No fear, they'll be playing out of melbourne.

Will have a good team too just quietly, plenty of Victorian boys supplemented with some elite juniors like Petterson-Robati and Mcgahan, though I think lil hughie will be off to NYC as soon as it starts up.

Of course you may mean which ground, in which case NFI. Maybe Princess park still or more likely the ground next too AAMI Park.

Matt Garness a backrower who was with the Panthers last year has signed for the NYC team

Last edited:

Noa

First Grade
From Fizer on thebaistand ----- Zac Moimoi and DJ Solomona from SPC in Auckland to the NYC squad

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Did Bryn Hall from St Peters College switch as well?

you would assume he would be contracted to auckland rugby union??
Clubs are really keen on
Particularly melbourne who have had blokes like Duffie (had played league though) even as far back as Tasesa Lavea.
Now guys like Mgahan and these two.

I suppose playing on tv and earning money next year sounds like an easy choice.

In saying that alot of the top rugby schools have guys who have strong league backgrounds - who change codes on basis of scholarships and good education.
So they are rugby players (not league or union).

Albert Nikora - Mangere East -> Mt Albert
Peter Filipo/Hellesloe - Manurewa -> Westlake Boys

Auckland rugby scene is the new breeding ground.
However I dont think scouts should get carried away with themselves.
I know alot of topline Rugby players entered warriors trials and past warriors development trials and flopped big time.

There are 4 or so rugby boys in nyc warriors train-on squad.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
you would assume he would be contracted to auckland rugby union??
Clubs are really keen on
Particularly melbourne who have had blokes like Duffie (had played league though) even as far back as Tasesa Lavea.
Now guys like Mgahan and these two.

I suppose playing on tv and earning money next year sounds like an easy choice.

In saying that alot of the top rugby schools have guys who have strong league backgrounds - who change codes on basis of scholarships and good education.
So they are rugby players (not league or union).

Albert Nikora - Mangere East -> Mt Albert
Peter Filipo/Hellesloe - Manurewa -> Westlake Boys

Auckland rugby scene is the new breeding ground.
However I dont think scouts should get carried away with themselves.
I know alot of topline Rugby players entered warriors trials and past warriors development trials and flopped big time.

There are 4 or so rugby boys in nyc warriors train-on squad.

It's usually not the TV or an easy choice for most. Union is notorious at grassroots in all provinces for not picking up kids for reps of intermediate & high school ages with heaps of potential & after that they continue to foster the ones that have made reps in the age groups & not look outside of that. Rep places are severely limited - ought to be more age group comps to broaden the potential pool but even so, places are then really limited in the top teams (provincial, super 15 & NZ sides).
They also some times have to leave their home province to get anywhere eg Josh kronfeld didn't make an age group rugby team in HB ever - went to Otago & the rest is history!
What is a kid supposed to do if they want a future playing rugby?
As for the money for these young guys? Not that much...It's hardly getting paid - a sign on fee & living away from home allowance. They either have to go to school, do trade training or work to supplement the basic amount (school & trade training are subsidised) so money isn't that great an attraction. And its not easy to leave your home at that young age to get a chance to play elite level sports, get elite coaching & try to build a career in a really competitive arena. Auckland is not the only breeding ground - the whole country is, & why not? unless league gets more traction throughout NZ Aussie will continue to be the place to go for a shot at the big time which is really what it's all about fot these kids & their families..

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
It's usually not the TV or an easy choice for most. Union is notorious at grassroots in all provinces for not picking up kids for reps of intermediate & high school ages with heaps of potential & after that they continue to foster the ones that have made reps in the age groups & not look outside of that. Rep places are severely limited - ought to be more age group comps to broaden the potential pool but even so, places are then really limited in the top teams (provincial, super 15 & NZ sides).
They also some times have to leave their home province to get anywhere eg Josh kronfeld didn't make an age group rugby team in HB ever - went to Otago & the rest is history!
What is a kid supposed to do if they want a future playing rugby?
As for the money for these young guys? Not that much...It's hardly getting paid - a sign on fee & living away from home allowance. They either have to go to school, do trade training or work to supplement the basic amount (school & trade training are subsidised) so money isn't that great an attraction. And its not easy to leave your home at that young age to get a chance to play elite level sports, get elite coaching & try to build a career in a really competitive arena. Auckland is not the only breeding ground - the whole country is, & why not? unless league gets more traction throughout NZ Aussie will continue to be the place to go for a shot at the big time which is really what it's all about fot these kids & their families..

I think you misunderstood my points slightly.

I fully understand the pathways which the NYC offers young rugby & league school leavers. I personally think from league perspective it is great.

However still somewhat of a shock leading rugby players with good reputations and what should be Rugby contracts are changing codes.
NZ schoolboy reps.

As for easy, money, tv exposure comment - yes oversimplified no doubt - but it still in essence is true. It offers them a more direct route to professional sport - a better chance perhaps rather than say Rugby Academies - they might do a lot of training, involved with camps and if they work hard will be a shot at NPC within 2/3 years.
League offers a more direct route - TV exposure is part of that - being seing and not being stuck in the background like rugby.
As for money - maybe not straight away but I know some highly sought kids get paid more than you have given credit for.

However again there must be caution made as some of these Union players they scout - do not perform that well in league and I hope recruitment staff dont get carried away with such a fad.

As having to leave NZ having to be the place to go for a shot at the big time. I dont understand your comment first of all these guys we are talking about are playing RUGBY - going to aussie aint going to help.

You cant take a shot at New Zealand league because first 15 players have to go to austrlia to make it in leauge. Because they DONT.
Warriors would have been interested in these players no doubt - some have chosen to go to melbourne becoz of their reputation.
And with Warriors they have so many good juniors on their system its is becoming xtremely competitive for spots.

Finally from a melbourne perspective -> basically despite of what happened in regards to salary cap shame & the loss of the NSW Cup team New Zealand kids are wanting to come to the storm.
As a kid having no nsw cup team would throw me a little - but storm development is still (rightfully) held in high regard some kids are choosing to come to storm over other clubs (including warriors at times).

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Bryn Hall has a RL background and his dad, Tommy, was a good player back in the day.

Yeah I think some of his family live out south.
I heard his uncles /dad played for Mt albert or pt chev.??

I had heard good things about Bryn as a rugby player - if he has swtiched it will really have people at NZRU and ARU Scared.
They will really have to carefully select which players they earmark etc.

Right now NZRU will be scared of the inroads league has been making.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I think you misunderstood my points slightly.

I fully understand the pathways which the NYC offers young rugby & league school leavers. I personally think from league perspective it is great.

However still somewhat of a shock leading rugby players with good reputations and what should be Rugby contracts are changing codes.
NZ schoolboy reps.

As for easy, money, tv exposure comment - yes oversimplified no doubt - but it still in essence is true. It offers them a more direct route to professional sport - a better chance perhaps rather than say Rugby Academies - they might do a lot of training, involved with camps and if they work hard will be a shot at NPC within 2/3 years.
League offers a more direct route - TV exposure is part of that - being seing and not being stuck in the background like rugby.
As for money - maybe not straight away but I know some highly sought kids get paid more than you have given credit for.

However again there must be caution made as some of these Union players they scout - do not perform that well in league and I hope recruitment staff dont get carried away with such a fad.

As having to leave NZ having to be the place to go for a shot at the big time. I dont understand your comment first of all these guys we are talking about are playing RUGBY - going to aussie aint going to help.

You cant take a shot at New Zealand league because first 15 players have to go to austrlia to make it in leauge. Because they DONT.
Warriors would have been interested in these players no doubt - some have chosen to go to melbourne becoz of their reputation.
And with Warriors they have so many good juniors on their system its is becoming xtremely competitive for spots.

Finally from a melbourne perspective -> basically despite of what happened in regards to salary cap shame & the loss of the NSW Cup team New Zealand kids are wanting to come to the storm.
As a kid having no nsw cup team would throw me a little - but storm development is still (rightfully) held in high regard some kids are choosing to come to storm over other clubs (including warriors at times).

hey, I agree with the points you've made here...when I asked what is a boy to do who wants to make it in rugby I meant rugby in general not specifically union. And I wasn't taking a shot at NZ league - it would be good if at least one other centre could replicate what Auckland has with the warriors (WN perhaps?) - would open it up for kids to stay in NZ. One team for the country means choices are limited however I also understand the logistics for this to happen make it unlikely in the near future.
re the Melbourne perspective - couldn't agree more - probably one of the best development systems around. Bring on 2011

Latest posts