What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

The manner in which he did it? :lol: Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. That guy owes Melbourne NOTHING. Waldron et al brought what happened on themselves and THEY ALONE should be where Storm fans direct their anger.

As for Gallop, he was caught in a catch-22. Go down there any time before now and he's accused of rubbing it in their faces. Don't go down and he's a coward... so you can see he's stuck in a bit of a tough spot there.

I think atilla sums it up correctly here, it's an analogy, not a direct likening of Storm fans to terrorists. There are quite a few reasonable Storm fans out there - atilla and Dani being obvious examples above, but there are still way too many who somehow think it's the NRL's/Gallop's fault that they got caught cheating and were punished, and for some reason take it out on him. It's truly bizarre.

I did not say he owed the club anything but the least he could have done was come down earlier and met with the club to field the questions that needed to be answered when this first happened.

If that makes me a poor fan then so be it but any CEO with a bit of nous would have met with this directly impacted dont you think ??.

I have never disagreed with the sanctions...

typicalfan

Coach
Gallop owes Melbourne a lot! Perhaps not regarding the salary cap scandal but TV coverage and development is ridiculous.

Eels Dude

Coach
You've just described most of Butters' & Simotard's posts for the past year or so

Oh also, if it happened to a club that didn't win a premiership via rorting they'd whinge the Storm's punishment was harsher because they were stripped of two premierships. Even though you can't strip a premiership off a team that doesn't win one.

Eels Dude

Coach
I heard an interview with a dude from New York City on the radio yesterday. You know what he said? New Yorkers have moved on from the terrorist attacks of 9/11. They don't think about it anymore. It's the rest of the world who are holding on to the terrorism issue. They've moved on and are living their lives. A lot of them didn't even realise it was 10 years ago.

I don't know about that, but it does remind of that Chaser sketch where they went around interviewing New Yorkers about dates of 9/11. Even when asked what date or even just month was 9/11 they gave wrong answers even though the answer was provided to them in the question. I think it would be poor form for me to post the link though.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I did not say he owed the club anything but the least he could have done was come down earlier and met with the club to field the questions that needed to be answered when this first happened.

If that makes me a poor fan then so be it but any CEO with a bit of nous would have met with this directly impacted dont you think ??.

This is a convienient excuse. The fans would've had his guts for garters if he came down directly after the sh*t hit the fan.

El Diablo

Post Whore

what questions needed to be answered?

you probably wanted to know why they were being punished for cheating :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

As I said - had he come down earlier and met with the club and fielded the questions, some may have viewed it as rubbing it in their faces. He was stuck between being sensitive (misinterpreted as arrogance or cowardice) or confronting (also misinterpreted as arrogance, possibly belligerence).

Exactly what "questions" are these? It seems to this day the Storm and some of it's fans think the NRL owe it something.

boonboon

Juniors
Gallop had no questions to answer - the storm cheated they were punished. I listened to his interview and in no way did he compare Storm fans to terrorists yesterday- he used it as an example of misplaced pashion that was all .

I tell you have something to apologise for and that is the Melbourne Storm both as a club but more specifically Bellamy, Smith and the players - never once have I heard them apologise for the cheating or admit they deserved to loose the premiership and until they do I will have no respect for them as human beings

Mr Fourex

Bench
I've heard the "get over it" barb thrown at Storm fans a fair bit. I think a few other people need to "get over it" as well.

Yeah that's about it........Yes the Storm were caught cheating........yes they were punished for it. Should their fans have to cop shit for all eternity?

probably

........nothing says they can't give it back just as much either

Nothing says f*ck you better than the score board

move on

losers

You're a disgrace David Gallop. Hand over the reins.........

Who to idiot? Who to?

John Grant

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah that's about it........Yes the Storm were caught cheating........yes they were punished for it. Should their fans have to cop shit for all eternity?

What s**t are the fans copping? Are they getting abused walking down the street when wearing their Storm jerseys or something?

jaynie

Juniors

ummm.... you don't just turn up to someone's house without an invitation.

Privately, Storm players and officials believe Gallop hasn't been visible enough at their club since the punishments were handed out.
To that, Gallop says this: "I offered to go down there whenever they wanted me to. Once you punish someone, you don't keep turning up in their face. There's an element of respecting that you go when they're ready for you to go and they've got their head around what happened. That's the attitude I took."
Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ourne-storm-fans/story-e6frfgbo-1226133402410

Mr Fourex

Bench
What s**t are the fans copping? Are they getting abused walking down the street when wearing their Storm jerseys or something?

I would have thought you'd remember the million +1 threads complaining/moaning about the Storm

........arse hurt Eels fans are in most of 'em. ;-)

Eels Dude

Coach
Good call :clap:
PS Eels dude, apparently Storm fans do get abused in the streets (and at matches) for wearing Storm jersey's, but that's another story...

That's true. I don't think Storm fans realise all fans cop s**t at away games, or cop smart arse remarks just walking down the street when wearing their jerseys in opposition territory.

Eels Dude

Coach
I would have thought you'd remember the million +1 threads complaining/moaning about the Storm

........arse hurt Eels fans are in most of 'em. ;-)

Bagging out the club is different to bagging out the fans directly.Of course people are going to be angry at what the Storm did as a club but no-one ever bagged out the fans apart from those that defended their club's actions and felt they got hard done by.

Every clubs has heaps of threads on this forum bagging them out. Look at the lol@souths thread. Why do Storm fans take it personally?

Stormsally

Juniors
I sent this message to David, I hope he reads it:

I am a passionate Storm supporter. I have until today been a firm supporter of you and the hard job you have had to do over the past 18 months.

I have been to away storm games and coped my own share of abuse and saw the abuse that our players had to face at many away games last year.

I was one of the passionate supporters who booed you on Sunday. What you heard was the voice of the Storm supporters, not support for the cheating but frustration over the salary cap scandal along with frustration over the prolonged FTA TV issues etc.

I also booed the Newcastle Knights players when they ran out - yet I admire the season that they have had and enjoy watching their exciting players.

I also booed Brett Kimorley when he returned to Melbourne to play the first time (for the long protracted contract negotiations that didn't go in our favour) but I still consider him one of Storms best players who was a hero to my young League playing sons.

I can't believe that the leader of this competition would not be able to take the gamemanship of being booed for your first fleeting appearance infront of the fans who had five years of history ripped away from them - regardless of the blame for that loss.

The club has been doing everything in its control to move on and by you having this reaction you have just undone all work in relation to the fans. What do you think the reaction will be next time turn up in Melbourne? If you had done like the Storm fans and players in 2010 and copped a bit of flack we would all be a lot further down the path of forgiving and forgetting.

Instead you have defamed Storm Members and offended the sporting public in Melbourne.