What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

big_matt

Juniors
Storm (no pun intended) in a teacup this. Just a typical case of the media putting a spin on things. Sometimes people are better off saying nothing, but then if didn't they'd be blamed for not responding so you can't win either way.

Agree.

But is it really too much to ask of a very highly paid CEO to just say something like "I didn't enjoy being booed, and I don't think it's right, but we made the right decision about the cap" rather than coming up with some strange leftfield statements about terrorists?

I'm not saying he should say nothing, but he should have the ability to occasionally say something sensible and non-inflammatory.

Loudstrat

Coach
I'm not sure which team you support, but if that particular team was stripped of a premiership, I'd bet Gallop would get the same reaction. It's what "passionate" fans do. .
El Duque is a long time Eels supporter. And our team was stripped of a premiership - by Melbourne's cheating.

Point taken. Hartigan went down there to take care of business from, I guess, a "business" point of view as he heads up News Limited in this country.

Still, here is the game in quite possibly it's biggest disaster since Super League and the CEO hands out the penalties he felt are deserving and then washes his hands of the whole situation more or less. Sure, he came down in October but, again, I don't feel he did himself any favors by distancing himself for as long as he did. He's the one charged with running the game after all.

Just sayin'.
Gallop never washed his hands. He dealt with it - and ensured the punishment stuck. Like Manly's actions on the night of the 2009 season launch, Canterbury's salary cap scandal, Coffs Harbour, the SBW defection, Canberra's request for the NRL to enforce a years ban for Todd Carney, and many other judgements. Canterbury have never booed David Gallop, nor launched the long running personal attacks that Melbourne and Manly have. Melbourne accused the judiciary for cheating when Cam Smith got a 2 match suspension ffs! It was, I believe, the first ever defamation case launched by judiciary members for doing their job.

What is true is that maybe Gallop should have ventured to Melbourne sooner. Yet, given the reception he got for awarding them a major prize, do you really blame him? I'm sure he couldnt do a Neil Whittaker style walkabout, would he.

Seriously? You think the analogy of motivation for terrorists killing innocent people and fans booing someone they don't like is a fair analogy?

Geez I hope the next time a chant of the "referees a wayne kerr" goes up Gallop is eqaully as condeming in this outrageous passionate behaviour!

If they were rioting and burning down the sticks in protest then fair enough, you would condemn their behaviour but to slate them for booing, especially Gallop of all people!, and then he goes on the next day to suggest everyone who booed supports cheating is just mind boggling stuff for a CEO of a major sports code to be coming out with.
If they didnt support cheating, why would they boo? There are Melbourne fans here who do not support the cheating, nor the fans reaction. Sadly, they are a minority.

Interesting.

I was at the game and was booing Gallop for the following reasons:
1) His absolute refusal to try and grow the game in Victoria and stand up to channel 9 here
You get an origin every second year, and tests for 20 years. That's not growing the game?
2) The ridiculous penalties handed out after Brookvale (1 week for Brett Stewart?????)
Is Gallop on the f*cking judiciary you fruitcake??????
3) The "don't you just love monday night football" text to Searle when Titans beat us
You must be kidding? You lot are that sensetive that you are whinging over a text to a work associate on a great result for him???
I wasn't booing him for the salary cap issues, and I presume neither were the Knights fans in our row who were booing louder than anyone else.
That's right. Must have been all those horrible texts to Searl. :roll:
So no, you are not correct in your assumptions about everyone's reasons for booing, even though you seem to be some kind of expert on what Storm fans are thinking.

And even if some of the booing was for the salary cap penalties, there is nothing wrong with fans voicing their opinion on how harsh they were.
I can remember the massive whinge from Storm fans over Parramatta fans voicing their opinion on Melbourne's rampant cheating.

Tigers got a huge fine in March for being well over the cap, but they didn't get a single point deducted
I didnt know the Tigers were over the cap by $1million.
Victoria Police themselves said the nrl had 'jumped to conclusions' and there is nothing wrong with getting that message across to moron gallop.
What the f*ck would the Victorian Police have to do with a salary cap breach you gronk?????
Doesn't mean they are saying it's right or clever to cheat, they just maybe disagree with the severity of the punishment). We live in a democracy these days, and last time I checked voicing your opinion wasn't illegal.
Yes. You all wanted maybe Waldron to write an apology, and call it quits.

It astounds everyone to believe that the biggest incidence of cheating ever in Australian Sporting history should not have recieved a punishment reflecting the crime.
If you are happy with the CEO and figurehead of your sport throwing around words like 'terrorists' on the 9/11 anniversary to describe a few people booing him for a laugh then that's fine - but its not a good look for the sport as a whole.
The "9/11 anniversary" is actually in November - what was it for again?????

Are you genuinely happy with having a CEO for our code who uses the word terrorist to describe a few fans booing at a sports event?
Let me know if that ever happens, because Gallop never said that. But, hey, you are ok with cheating, so it's not hard to understand that you cant work out what Gallop actually said.

In describing Storm fans, f*cktard would have been a more appropriate word to use

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Think that's the fifth time this joke has been tried on this thread.

Storm fans don't seem to be able to get things into their head, so it's probably a good thing to keep hammering it home.

I hope someone else somewhere along the line gets done for rorting the cap, and see what the reaction is from Melbourne.

Lowdown

Juniors
Loudstrat...I'm surprised you have so much time to post such utter crap. Given the amount of time you surely must spend sucking Gallops c**k.

HowHigh

Coach
Majority of Storm fans are f**kwits (not all so if you're not don't be offended) but terrorists? especially around 9/11 wtf is he thinking

The "9/11 anniversary" is actually in November - what was it for again?????

You are an idiot

You're just trotting out gallops tired and laughable 'passion' argument - I still don't see any realistic link between terrorism and a few sports fans booing. Seems the media (even international) have found his comments bizarre.

Again:

Are you honestly saying there is a close link between terrorism and fans booing at sports events? Are you seriously saying that?

You need to put your storm hatred aside and see how farcical it is trying to defend gallops latest foot-in-mouth episode.

Well what the shit do I care what the media think? Gutter journo scum are gonna spin any story that sells or generates interest.

And of course international media have found his comments bizarre, they're over sensitive lapdogs to Washington, for the most part. If the US decides something is offensive, the media and the world tend to follow suit

If you don't see the link then it's because you don't have the basic intelligence to comprehend what's been said. Has nothing to do with me hating the Storm

sting

Bench
From Cam Smith

"They are disappointed about what happened last year and the decision to move the premierships from the history books but he has got a pretty hard job.

"I know he faced an icy reception up at Manly a couple of weeks prior but there is nothing the players in the NRL can do about that. Obviously when we travel away as a football team to opposition grounds, we get booed a lot as well. Is that poor behaviour? No, we believe that is just part of the game and if we can cop it every week then I think so should everyone else."

FFS, they still don't get it!

Oh and to Big Matt, you were doing better when you weren't posting.

Why has he hastily released an extensive apology, saying his words were "not the best" if he has done nothing wrong?

Because he's an adult and has some maturity? He didn't intend to upset people. But people were upset, and being a mature adult, he apologised for what he said and any offense caused.

That doesn't make what he said wrong. If i said "black people are great... actually I apologise, I'm wrong... black people are evil", would you then say "oh look, he's gone back on his word, so the latter must be right, he's seen the error of his ways.

Just because the man apologised doesn't mean there's a damn thing wrong with what he said in the first place. Gallops a lawyer :lol:

Stinkler

Juniors
Why has he hastily released an extensive apology, saying his words were "not the best" if he has done nothing wrong?

"Not the best" doesn't mean "wrong" though.

Your Uni essay gets 18 out of 20. Someone else gets 20 out of 20.
Are you "wrong"? No, simply, "not the best".

Gallop's "apology" was because the dumb arse section of the media took it and run, not bothering to worry about what he actually said. Dumb arse people then got on the dumb arse media bandwagon, and all hell breaks loose.

I heard an interview with a dude from New York City on the radio yesterday. You know what he said? New Yorkers have moved on from the terrorist attacks of 9/11. They don't think about it anymore. It's the rest of the world who are holding on to the terrorism issue. They've moved on and are living their lives. A lot of them didn't even realise it was 10 years ago.

To the Storm fans and others hating on Gallop's comments, follow the lead of the dude from New York. Move on.

Again, where did I say he insinuated we strap bombs to ourselves?

Did you know that his comments made the sports news in the UK? Are the UK sports networks all storm fans who are 'haters' too?

Most people inside and outside the game clearly find his comments bizarre, laughable and unacceptable.

Except people blinded by Storm hatred like yourself.

No, but the UK media are all Washington and Corporate puppets, working hand in hand with a government that exploits fears of terrorism and british sensitivity to strip away our rights.

This is just a case of social engineering.

Brutus

Referee
El Duque is a long time Eels supporter. And our team was stripped of a premiership - by Melbourne's cheating.

Stripped of a premiership??:lol::lol:

You've got to win one first to be "stripped" of a premiership.

In that case Brisbane were stripped of a GF appearance after the Storm beat them in the prelim.

Every team was "stripped" of something when they lost to the Storm.

I've heard the "get over it" barb thrown at Storm fans a fair bit. I think a few other people need to "get over it" as well.

Eels Dude

Coach
I hope someone else somewhere along the line gets done for rorting the cap, and see what the reaction is from Melbourne.

I wouldn't. They'd just whinge and demand the punishment matches theirs or even exceeds it. And they'd then use the "See everyone's doing it, so it's ok we did it, we deserve our premierships back" response.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agree.

But is it really too much to ask of a very highly paid CEO to just say something like "I didn't enjoy being booed, and I don't think it's right, but we made the right decision about the cap" rather than coming up with some strange leftfield statements about terrorists?

I'm not saying he should say nothing, but he should have the ability to occasionally say something sensible and non-inflammatory.

Fair response, but his response is dependent of the questions asked of him at the time and the media have a habit of spinning questions to where they want them to go. If he'd come out with the usual generic responses he normally does then everyone would be complaining he doesn't give enough definitive answers.

As I said in my last post, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Matt23

Staff member
I wouldn't. They'd just whinge and demand the punishment matches theirs or even exceeds it. And they'd then use the "See everyone's doing it, so it's ok we did it, we deserve our premierships back" response.
You've just described most of Butters' & Simotard's posts for the past year or so

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
"Not the best" doesn't mean "wrong" though.

Your Uni essay gets 18 out of 20. Someone else gets 20 out of 20.
Are you "wrong"? No, simply, "not the best".

Gallop's "apology" was because the dumb arse section of the media took it and run, not bothering to worry about what he actually said. Dumb arse people then got on the dumb arse media bandwagon, and all hell breaks loose.

I heard an interview with a dude from New York City on the radio yesterday. You know what he said? New Yorkers have moved on from the terrorist attacks of 9/11. They don't think about it anymore. It's the rest of the world who are holding on to the terrorism issue. They've moved on and are living their lives. A lot of them didn't even realise it was 10 years ago.

To the Storm fans and others hating on Gallop's comments, follow the lead of the dude from New York. Move on.

Tell that to the people who were directly involved, lost someone that day. The guy quoted obviously didn't - and a lot of Americans are renowned for not giving a damn if it doesn't directly involve them. like some league fans obviously. Doesn't take away from the event or it's repercussions in the least.
Galllop is an inept CEO who didn't have the foresight or nous to realise what a clanger he made when he used sports fans' passion & terrorists' 'passion' (read fanaticism) in the same context when hellybagging in a reactionary way to the reception he got. I think its almost on a par with the article by Boubon Bec re the AFL couple who lost their baby & she used it to bag the NRL - the two things in both are poles apart & have no business being used to make a point by people with obvious biased agendas. Gallop an error in judgement with his childish and reactionary verbal diarrhea that shows he hasn't got the skills or the diplomacy to be the NRL CEO if the game is to progress.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Stripped of a premiership??:lol::lol:

You've got to win one first to be "stripped" of a premiership.

In that case Brisbane were stripped of a GF appearance after the Storm beat them in the prelim.

Every team was "stripped" of something when they lost to the Storm.

I've heard the "get over it" barb thrown at Storm fans a fair bit. I think a few other people need to "get over it" as well.

the "other people" don't support a club who cheated

they also don't think the Storm were wronged for being punished like you do

Latest posts