What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

STG-MACCA

Bench
tell me Mr 64,400, why is it appropriate that the home and away members of a club involved in a match should miss out, because a member wants to bring someone to a game that is not a member?

If all members of St.George and the away team get a ticket, then where is the problem. It is a semi final, and one that the home side has worked hard all season to hold anywhere they please.

I have no time for anyone that complains if they miss out and they were happy to miss out all year.

adamkungl

Immortal
tbh, its week 1 of the finals, who gives a f**k anyway, play it at Oki Choki. Week 2 is where the fun begins.

Loudstrat

Coach
Nice to know that Gallop has suddenly started to worry about fans after about 5 seasons and 26 weeks. How many fans have been turned away from games scheduled on Saturday and Monday nights because of TV?

Yep -Sydney team. Lets hassle them. f*tards.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At least he isn't saying Sydney is dying!

Totally up to St's what they do and the NRL should butt out. Shame for RL fans who can't get to see the game but such is life. I'd have thought the TV puppet masters would be pleased to see a small crowd and large TV audience?

Ridders

Coach
I don't see how people can be upset at the Saints, this is what the NRL have to organise.

Btw why the f**k did Gallop have to go to the papers and beg the Dragons to move the game, when he knew in all likely hood they wouldn't. Why make such a big deal of it right before the game? Makes a negative of something that should have been a big positive for the game.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Where was all this BS last year, asking Manly to move from Brookvale, Melbourne to move from Olympic Park, and the gummies to move from the Swamp in week 1?

Dragon

Coach
Other clubs had mixed views yesterday on whether the Dragons should pocket the money and switch the game from their home to a bigger venue.

Brisbane would benefit if it met Gold Coast in the finals and the game was moved from Skilled Park to Suncorp Stadium, but chief executive Bruno Cullen said no club should have to sacrifice its home-ground advantage in the opening week.

"One of the prizes of making the top four is to host a home semi-final, and as a club I'd find that extremely difficult to relinquish," Cullen said. "There may be financial incentives for the club, but as CEO of a club I would take the advice of the coaching staff rather than look at it from a monetary perspective."

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron said it was purely a commercial decision, but he refused to speculate whether the Storm would shift a home final to a bigger venue.

"They're not being forced to change -- it's their choice," Waldron said. "They've been given a business proposition. There's no pressure on them, and if they were to do it it would be in their financial interests to do it. "We're in a totally different situation -- we're Melbourne and they're Sydney."

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne said his club would consider the offer, but would more than likely remain at Parramatta Stadium. "We'd probably stay at home because I wouldn't want to give away our home advantage," Osborne said.

Full Story - http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26027753-5012431,00.html

brendothejet

First Grade
Did you read my whole post? Dickhead. She wants to take me and her mum. Might even wanna take her dad too, she has SFA chance of doing that because it's at a tiny ground with ridiculous ticket restrictions.

f**k off timmah youve been to enough kogarah games this year...

:D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
18?

It was 17,974 or thereabouts from memory. Given it was sold out and I've had umpteen Dragons fans insisting the capacity is close to 20k through the week, it's a disgraceful crowd for a supposedly "sold out" game. There were rows of empty seats in the NW terrace... I mean, come on.
I understand the police capped the number.

All the seats were sold, officially. If you saw a few empty seats, it doesn't mean they weren't sold.

FTR, the seats I paid for were empty as well... I haven't sat in them all year. But I was at the game (only in different seats: I sit with friends elsewhere, get an upgrade somewhere else etc). Not always black and white Timmah.

Teddyboy

First Grade
I understand the police capped the number.

All the seats were sold, officially. If you saw a few empty seats, it doesn't mean they weren't sold.

FTR, the seats I paid for were empty as well... I haven't sat in them all year. But I was at the game (only in different seats: I sit with friends elsewhere, get an upgrade somewhere else etc). Not always black and white Timmah.
That is as clear as mud.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's deep Teddy. Tim seems to think that empty seats means it is not a sell out, but he feels the next game should be moved to a bigger venue. I'm trying to help the kid out of a hole.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons fans, what if you don't get a ticket to next week's match?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand season ticket holders get first dibs. For everyone else, get in early. Miss out and you were simply tardy in your efforts.

If you're not that keen to see the game, I hear Cumberland Throw will save you a spot on his armchair.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My partner has been howling me down all week about the proposal to move next Sunday's game and only after last night did she agree with me - it should go to the SFS. As a Red V member she can only purchase TWO tickets with her membership - how is that fair?
Timmah, this is not the first time you have used your relationship with your partner to try and win a debate point.

If people use it against you, please do your best to steer clear of the report button.

sting

Bench
Did you read my whole post? Dickhead. She wants to take me and her mum. Might even wanna take her dad too, she has SFA chance of doing that because it's at a tiny ground with ridiculous ticket restrictions.

So what?

Why should she be able to buy you a ticket? you're a dogs fan. I don't want you to come to kogarah next week. Especially if it's at the expense of dragons fan.

I only want to see saints fans there, we couldn't give a f**k who else turns up.

our home ground, we earned the right to play here, everyone else can piss off!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26030617-5003409,00.html

League's $250,000 offer for Eels only

By David Riccio | September 06, 2009 12:01am

DAVID Gallop's $250,000 offer for the Dragons to move next week's qualifying final to the Sydney Football Stadium remains - but only if they play Parramatta.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned the NRL proposal extends only to the Eels because of their wide supporter base and the league's confidence in filling the 46,000-seat stadium.

The offer to St George Illawarra would not stand if they were to play Penrith in week one of the finals next Sunday.

"I've spoken to Peter Doust (St George Illawarra chief executive) and we agreed that we would talk about it again after Sunday's match,'' Gallop said.

While Gallop's push has received negative reaction from Dragons players, including Wendell Sailor, Brett Morris and Ben Creagh, the Eels were licking their wounds after Friday night's heavy loss.

Parramatta winger Eric Grothe, who was ruled out of Friday night's match after being unable to eat for three days due to a stomach bug, and second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh (toe injury) are expected to return next week.

Grothe was on the mend yesterday but faces a slow recovery after losing "a few kilos'' as a result of the virus.

With the results of scans today set to reveal the full extent of a hamstring injury to strike centre Krisnan Inu, Eels officials are eager to rush Grothe straight back into the side.Inu was assisted from the field just before halftime in Friday night's heavy loss to the Dragons at Kogarah Oval.

Club officials are hopeful the former Kiwi Test star has suffered only a minor strain.

However, if Inu is ruled out, backrower Ben Smith is likely to be shuffled to centre, the position in which he began his career.

Eels coach Daniel Anderson said Hindmarsh was certain to return after he missed the Dragons match with a chronic toe injury.

However, he was unsure of Grothe's status

"We haven't seen Eric since Tuesday. He's been really crook,'' Anderson said. "He wouldn't have been able to play no matter what. Eric hadn't eaten since Tuesday."

"Hindy was touch and go, but we didn't need to have him play. He'll be right. We'll have to brush ourselves off. But we'll be ready next week.''

Southernsaint

Staff member
Timmah, this is not the first time you have used your relationship with your partner to try and win a debate point.

If people use it against you, please do your best to steer clear of the report button.

Maybe he wanted to report to Admin just how pussy-whipped he is??

saintania

Juniors
Yeah because moving the game from a sh*tty suburban ground with a 20k capacity to a world class stadium in the same city with 85k capacity is akin to moving from a world class stadium of 30k capacity to a stadium 1 hour up the road in an entirely different city.

If it's such a sh*tty suburban ground, you idiots should do us a favour and stay the hell away - more tickets for Saints fans.

Another scenario for you Einstein. What if we play the Eels at the SFS and get 21k to the game? Who makes up the shortfall to Saints of this supposed $250k extra? There are no guarantees with this cash and we would only get a cut if the crowd gets to the 40k mark.

I think you all need to get off your high stinking horses and realise that the club has EARNED this right to a home final and that it is OUR club's decision to keep it at home or move it. Our fans may miss out just as opposition fans may. This is the benefit of having a season ticket and getting priority purchase rights for finals tickets. Like it or lump it, this is the way the cookie crumbles.

Last edited: