What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day - Kurranulla vs. Knights

Eion

First Grade
Hazleton has cemented his spot i reckon. Even when Toby and Cam come back. Jack Pommeroy Williams might have to make way.

Tempted to leave Connor on centres and put Sifa in back row. We’d have to lose one other then… Wadeo?
Talakais hands are a billion times better than connors. That’s the main issue with the switch

Frenzy.

Immortal
64% completion
16 errors
32 missed tacjles

We did enough. Very few sets we got out of second gear. Did enough to stay ahead

I like Toms energy off the bench. Wade was meh, finished at hooker. Williams errors at crucial times do my head in. BHU was ok.

The knights are directionless. Lucky miller got a 3 year deal. KP might have to go back to 1. He doesn’t touch the ball enough at 6.
Week to week or tonight? He only dropped one tonight. Looked like Ronald McDonald on the piss with that one though. He was actually really good tonight IMO. Made a lot of metres in his 42 minutes and a lot of hurtful tackles.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Sorry to say, but Finucane is not in our best 17 any more.
His deterioration this year is alarming, he is off the pace - he looks cooked.
The sad thing is I'm relieved when he goes off the field now.
Can we tolerate 2 more years of diminishing returns from Dale ?

shaggs

Coach
Week to week or tonight? He only dropped one tonight. Looked like Ronald McDonald on the piss with that one though. He was actually really good tonight IMO. Made a lot of metres in his 42 minutes and a lot of hurtful tackles.
Week to week. He does some good stuff but consistent with the errors.

Across the board we have a high error rate due to shape to shape to shape style. So I expect ball playing errors, but we can’t add the ones like Williams today on top of those.

Room for improvement from everyone. I’m ok with wins now and building without the burnout

Go Nulla

Bench
There is no doubt Wilton has rough edges that he needs to improve significantly. He is 55 games into his career and starting for about a season.

His potential warrants patience but he needs to step up.
But will he re-sign with us? …… thoughts?

shadowboxer

First Grade
Missed the game live and just finished watching on replay. Saturday soccer
Solid but not spectacular- pretty much a training run to be honest.
A win is just that. Not much to add for us, but on Newcastle.
- Miller the messiah showed where he is at. Yeah Kennedy was shit crowd - what a wake up call- WOW
The club should be congratulated for letting him go and getting a great deal with this mob full of hasbeens and dickheads for 3 years.
- Ponga concussion should see him sit out Origin, but like penalty broncos or Hartley Manly - that’s not happening. If Slater is fair dinkum, drop him and run with Walsh - the bloke has heart.
- Coach Obrien - just resign. Haven’t watched the presser but it’s always a laugh.
- Matt Johns - talk your way out of that game without relying on humour you’ve ripped off from the 1970s.
Now to go and lie down

Missed the game live and just finished watching on replay. Saturday soccer
Solid but not spectacular- pretty much a training run to be honest.
A win is just that. Not much to add for us, but on Newcastle.
- Miller the messiah showed where he is at. Yeah Kennedy was shit crowd - what a wake up call- WOW
The club should be congratulated for letting him go and getting a great deal with this mob full of hasbeens and dickheads for 3 years.
- Ponga concussion should see him sit out Origin, but like penalty broncos or Hartley Manly - that’s not happening. If Slater is fair dinkum, drop him and run with Walsh - the bloke has heart.
- Coach Obrien - just resign. Haven’t watched the presser but it’s always a laugh.
- Matt Johns - talk your way out of that game without relying on humour you’ve ripped off from the 1970s.
Now to go and lie down
Johns is about as funny in 2023 as fatty vautin

Chimp

Bench
I don’t get the hate towards Williams. Yes he has the odd dropsy (that he had got out of his game pre-injuries), but I’d say he’s our most high impact sub - he’s our only middle who has quick feet. He’s high tempo, high speed, impact - I like him!
Kennedy was outstanding today. Big Tommy has to be a regular.
Wade, whilst not really doing anything wrong, doesn’t really add anything IMO.
Love Tracey’s effort, love how quick he does everything. We don’t have anyone with his sort of blistering speed off the mark.
With a fully fit squad, I’d have Tracey at 14 and then 3 of our big boppers.
There may come a point where Dale may struggle to make the 17.

Special K

Coach
Never got out of 2nd as mentioned. Played down to their level. I am calling bullshit on the Ponga HIA stuff especially at the end when he did the interview and said "I didn't lie".... Anyway we move on.

I think that bench is as good as it gets for us. Toby pushes Hazleton out, McInnes pushes Williams but that balance of Wade(Utility/Middle/Edge player), Williams(Middle/Edge player) and two props is perfect. I think I have seen enough on Williams. A drop on the attack every week adds up and when McInnes and co are back he isn't there.

Hazleton is doing fantastic. I would love to work out a way to have him in the full strength 17 but with Dale/Cam/Wade taking up 3 spots without injuries it will be hard.

Chimp

Bench
Never got out of 2nd as mentioned. Played down to their level. I am calling bullshit on the Ponga HIA stuff especially at the end when he did the interview and said "I didn't lie".... Anyway we move on.

I think that bench is as good as it gets for us. Toby pushes Hazleton out, McInnes pushes Williams but that balance of Wade(Utility/Middle/Edge player), Williams(Middle/Edge player) and two props is perfect. I think I have seen enough on Williams. A drop on the attack every week adds up and when McInnes and co are back he isn't there.

Hazleton is doing fantastic. I would love to work out a way to have him in the full strength 17 but with Dale/Cam/Wade taking up 3 spots without injuries it will be hard.
That last line is the issue, we shouldn’t have all 3 in the 17, doesn’t give us enough umph…

With 3 starting middles and a bench that I believe should include Tracey. That leaves 6 spots in the 17 for our middles/forward replacements.

I say a minimum of 4 of the 6 have to come from;

OK, Toby, BHU, Hunt, Hazo, Williams

Then 2 of Dale, Cam, Wade.

ragzouken

Juniors
This is going to sound very fluffy but I reckon we’re doing what the good teams do and timing our run for once, I’m saying that we play broncos then storm next so I guess we will have a clearer idea where the team is at after that, nicho is good enough to drag us out of the shit, the big worry for me though is the shit errors, every game when we have a massive run we have some boneheaded drop balls and instead of putting our stamp on the game we let them back in, jacks error today was crap and at that point we could of put it too bed and ended up giving them a leg up.

wait and see after origin wheee we are but we have started the season similar to how the chooks did up until this year

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Ponga should have been the grade number that sits out 11 days, watch Hynes look at ponga on the ground, he knew he was f**ked. And ponga knew he couldn’t stand up cos he’d fall over. The commentary team on sideline were willing him back in as they knew he wasn’t allowed to be ruled out. Massive dodgyness.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Ponga should have been the grade number that sits out 11 days, watch Hynes look at ponga on the ground, he knew he was f**ked. And ponga knew he couldn’t stand up cos he’d fall over. The commentary team on sideline were willing him back in as they knew he wasn’t allowed to be ruled out. Massive dodgyness.
His play the ball late in the game was priceless - foggy

So out of my beer-pouring eyes I got to see some plays whilst the game was in motion.
After I got home from work I got to watch the game without prejudice nor emotion
Conclusion: Fitz played a bluff-like poker game and O'Brien was not smart enough to pick up on it.
Smarter teams/coaches would have picked it apart more easily.
Tough middle-tough middle-keep Nicho on the right-tough right(Ramien/Nikora)
Let the left run free, Moyza/Kennedy (no Nicho)
rinse and repeat until the 67th minute then Nicho played left and Moyza could wander.
Ramien had an awesome game with this game plan, it allowed Tracey to be free on the other side of the field.
Nicho played his part well, they kept following him.
The real issue is that a better coached team will see this, and know this. We can do the lowers easily, the uppers can see what's going on and adapt.

shadowboxer

First Grade
So out of my beer-pouring eyes I got to see some plays whilst the game was in motion.
After I got home from work I got to watch the game without prejudice nor emotion
Conclusion: Fitz played a bluff-like poker game and O'Brien was not smart enough to pick up on it.
Smarter teams/coaches would have picked it apart more easily.
Tough middle-tough middle-keep Nicho on the right-tough right(Ramien/Nikora)
Let the left run free, Moyza/Kennedy (no Nicho)
rinse and repeat until the 67th minute then Nicho played left and Moyza could wander.
Ramien had an awesome game with this game plan, it allowed Tracey to be free on the other side of the field.
Nicho played his part well, they kept following him.
The real issue is that a better coached team will see this, and know this. We can do the lowers easily, the uppers can see what's going on and adapt.
Nice summary - my takeaway was way more basic with a solid serving of IPA - the game never hit any real heights, but a win none the less.
Part of my issue with ladder watch each week and others obsession with it - is that about half the teams in the comp can make another team look like world beaters, only to get a rude awakening the following week.
Temper expectations for now and hopefully the long road of building towards the finals is happening in the background. Not sold myself but hey, thankfully we ain’t Newcastle.

Nice summary - my takeaway was way more basic with a solid serving of IPA - the game never hit any real heights, but a win none the less.
Part of my issue with ladder watch each week and others obsession with it - is that about half the teams in the comp can make another team look like world beaters, only to get a rude awakening the following week.
Temper expectations for now and hopefully the long road of building towards the finals is happening in the background. Not sold myself but hey, thankfully we ain’t Newcastle.
One big positive is that it's one of those "crazy upside down rounds" where all types of upsets and loaded scores occur.
We didn't get hit by the fairy dust.

Craigshark

First Grade
It definitely feels like we are in some sort of cruise control where we do just enough to win without being spectacular and saving some trick shots and other plays for some bigger games. Main focus at the moment seems to be on getting our defence right, which the past couple of weeks has been good albeit against lower teams.

Latest posts