What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game day round 9 V Warriors

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
He didn't steal any women off me though I'm not sure about vodka. I think he may have been swilling vodka pre game.

I'm just so frustrated by the (poor) way the team has played since Widdop came and I blame him.

You got a short memory comrade, remember how woefull the Fein/Stanley combo was under Price?
The team has been rubbish for a long time, since 2012, two years before widdop ever pulled on a dragons jersey. I'm not defending widdop,my opinion on him is indifferent, but if you keep placing 80-100% of the blame on him alone, you are simply masking bigger issues (board,coaching staff) at play here. Drop widdop now for the rest of the season for all I care, you think the results will improve? Good luck waiting for that ship to come in.

V

Vasilevsky

You got a short memory comrade, remember how woefull the Fein/Stanley combo was under Price?
The team has been rubbish for a long time, since 2012, two years before widdop ever pulled on a dragons jersey. I'm not defending widdop,my opinion on him is indifferent, but if you keep placing 80-100% of the blame on him alone, you are simply masking bigger issues (board,coaching staff) at play here. Drop widdop now for the rest of the season for all I care, you think the results will improve? Good luck waiting for that ship to come in.

fair enough. Widdop has been tried with several halfbacks and has formed a poor combination with every one of them.

As for the sentence in bold, yes. I believe a McCrone/Marshall combination would be much better.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
fair enough. Widdop has been tried with several halfbacks and has formed a poor combination with every one of them.

As for the sentence in bold, yes. I believe a McCrone/Marshall combination would be much better.

So a Marshall/McCrone combo will make everything better? Reins passing will find its mark, Lafai will start making line breaks, ah Mau will start offloading the ball, JDB will not drop the ball anymore, it's all going to miraculously turn around just by putting Marshall and McCrone in the halves?
Ok comrade, your entitled to your opinion.

V

Vasilevsky

So a Marshall/McCrone combo will make everything better? Reins passing will find its mark, Lafai will start making line breaks, ah Mau will start offloading the ball, JDB will not drop the ball anymore, it's all going to miraculously turn around just by putting Marshall and McCrone in the halves?
Ok comrade, your entitled to your opinion.

I believe a Marshall/McCrone combo would be better. Not that it will turn the team into genuine premiership contenders.

BTW would you like me to change my username? What is your infatuation with Russia about? Why couldn't my username be Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Czech, Bjelorussian, Slovak or Kazakh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

I don't think singling out individuals solves any issues here, be it Widdop, Benji, JDB or even Quinlan for that matter.

The term "coach" is bandied about, but what does it really mean?. To me a coach is a teacher, mentor and motivator, a planner, a tactician and a leader. If a "coach" is void of new ideas, lacks vision and cannot bend for fear it is "outside the comfort zone", then he has issues.
These issues, can lead to lack of player buy-in to the plan, particularly when the same plan reveals the same result (sign of madness I do believe).

To me our "coach" has lost the buy-in of the players. To say "they weren't up for it today" is just a cop out for a lack of trust in the plan.
Players who trust in the plan and are motivated by it, will perform to expectation......Just ask MacFadden.

Further, watch the replay if you can and see how many times a forward lumbers up to the defensive line and the rest are just walking behind, setting for the next play. I think it was the 62nd minute when one of our forwards lumbered up (Cooper I think) and there was at least 10 metres between him and the next line of our players. That type of play is not natural to a first grade player, it can only be coached into them.......or is it simply a case of no buy-in by the players.......or is it both?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
BTW would you like me to change my username? What is your infatuation with Russia about? Why couldn't my username be Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Czech, Bjelorussian, Slovak or Kazakh?

You forgot one, Hungarian.

I thought you were Russian?

P.s. no, I don't want you to change your username, where's the fun in that? :cool:

V

Vasilevsky

You forgot one, Hungarian.

I thought you were Russian?

P.s. no, I don't want you to change your username, where's the fun in that? :cool:

Hmmm Now you are just being plain ignorant. No, I'm not Russia and no, that name would be very unusual in Hungary.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Why would it be unusual if Russia occupied Hungary? I thought you knew your history, pffttt amateur!

Vasilevsky was born in Russia at Vichuga.
He was a member of the Soviet General Staff and fairly incompetent,
In the 2nd battle of Kharkov
Khrushchev accused Vasilevsky of being too passive and indecisive, as well as being unable to defend his point of view in front of Stalin during that particular operation. As he wrote, "It was my view that the catastrophe... could have been avoided if Vasilevsky had taken the position he should have. He could have taken a different position... but he didn't do that, and as a result, in my view, he had a hand in the destruction of thousands of Red Army fighters in the Kharkov campaign. Over 270,000.

I post this because I am tired of your continual sniping of one player Widdop.
More later if needed

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Give Vasilevsky his due. He was one of the very few who would tell Stalin he was being a dick. Personally I think Rokossovski > Zhukov > Vasilevsky.

Why are we even discussing this??

blacksafake

First Grade
I don't think singling out individuals solves any issues here, be it Widdop, Benji, JDB or even Quinlan for that matter.

The term "coach" is bandied about, but what does it really mean?. To me a coach is a teacher, mentor and motivator, a planner, a tactician and a leader. If a "coach" is void of new ideas, lacks vision and cannot bend for fear it is "outside the comfort zone", then he has issues.
These issues, can lead to lack of player buy-in to the plan, particularly when the same plan reveals the same result (sign of madness I do believe).

To me our "coach" has lost the buy-in of the players. To say "they weren't up for it today" is just a cop out for a lack of trust in the plan.
Players who trust in the plan and are motivated by it, will perform to expectation......Just ask MacFadden.

Further, watch the replay if you can and see how many times a forward lumbers up to the defensive line and the rest are just walking behind, setting for the next play. I think it was the 62nd minute when one of our forwards lumbered up (Cooper I think) and there was at least 10 metres between him and the next line of our players. That type of play is not natural to a first grade player, it can only be coached into them.......or is it simply a case of no buy-in by the players.......or is it both?
Well said
The coaching structure is just plain :crazy:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Khrushchev accused Vasilevsky of being too passive and indecisive, as well as being unable to defend his point of view in front of Stalin during that particular operation. As he wrote, "It was my view that the catastrophe... could have been avoided if Vasilevsky had taken the position he should have. He could have taken a different position... but he didn't do that, and as a result, in my view, he had a hand in the destruction of thousands of Red Army fighters in the Kharkov campaign. Over 270,000.

More later if needed

Zhukov in his memoirs later stated that it was Stalins mistake for not adhering to generals (himself and Vasilevsky) advice. I'd imagine Stalin would have had the final say, given the "Stalinism" way of governing at the time.

P.s. I'm not the one who continually bags Widdop, get your facts right.

ruthless dragon

Juniors
Zhukov in his memoirs later stated that it was Stalins mistake for not adhering to generals (himself and Vasilevsky) advice. I'd imagine Stalin would have had the final say, given the "Stalinism" way of governing at the time.

PSSS Mate I was supporting you:lol:

V

Vasilevsky

Why would it be unusual if Russia occupied Hungary? I thought you knew your history, pffttt amateur!

Well obviously you know better than me. As far as I know the Russians have never occupied Hungary. Maybe for a week or two when chasing Napoleon back to France but as far as I knew they main bulk of the forces moved through present day Germany and Austria.

More later if needed

Sorry if you don't like it but as far as I can see, insofar as the pitiful attack which is of course the problem with this team, Widdop is the root of all evil.

I'm glad you homies are taking an interest in the history of the Soviet Union though if you want to impress me you would have to carefully read through large amounts of this.

V

Vasilevsky

Not interested. Just like the WW2 bits when we were comrades in arms, more or less.

"We" were comrades in arms in WW2? You mean the Soviet Union and the bandits and fascists of Anglo-American and French imperialism? That wasn't true. The French surrendered and Anglo-Americans has their armies sit around the UK screwing each other while the Soviets won the war.

Anyway, as you said, why are we discussing this?

I know if Paul McGregor were General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union at the time of WW2, he wold have been sitting in Siberia, rocking back and forth mumbling "defence, the defence, we have to defend" as Nazis were parading down Red Square.

Old Timer

Coach
"We" were comrades in arms in WW2? You mean the Soviet Union and the bandits and fascists of Anglo-American and French imperialism? That wasn't true. The French surrendered and Anglo-Americans has their armies sit around the UK screwing each other while the Soviets won the war.

Anyway, as you said, why are we discussing this?

I know if Paul McGregor were General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union at the time of WW2, he wold have been sitting in Siberia, rocking back and forth mumbling "defence, the defence, we have to defend" as Nazis were parading down Red Square.

The reason it gets discussed is because you continually lead the conversation to these inevitable conclusions.

I remember full well when I first encountered your less than conciliatory style of posting when I suggested Benji wasn't a half and you bombarded me and everyone else with the endless Widdop bagging and Benji comparisons.

I now note that you want Benji at 5/8 and Mc Crone at half so thank god after all this time you too have worked out Benji is not a half back which is an entirely different conversation as to whether Widdop is playing well or not.

Nice to see that you have not changed your style because when you are copping a bit of stick on the forum you love to go back to all your political posturing because you run out of puff just like our first grade team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So... about the game...

I saw some great forward movement early on and Packer almost scored a brilliant forward's try on the back of some excellent stuff up the middle.

Plus I thought we were pretty hard done by in the first half, the video reffing and obstruction rule has completely lost the plot imo. But we tried... best described as being desperately close to scoring on a number of occasions.

But... second half was frustrating. Clearly the boys are not there for the full 80... no sustainable plan B, and a lack of full time structure in attack.

Sorry for going off topic.