What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games in expansion areas in 2009

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Just trying to keep up with what's planned for next year.

Confirmed:
* Souths vs Melbourne in Perth (round 14?) [source]
* Cronulla vs North QLD in Adelaide (round 6)[source] Cronulla will play home games in Adelaide for the next 3 seasons.
* Souths vs Newcastle in Gosford (round 3?) [source]
* Manly vs TBA on the Sunshine Coast (pre-season trial) [source]. In 2010 Manly are going to play a game against Brisbane to open the new Sunshine Coast stadium (would've been this season but the stadium's construction was delayed).
* Gold Coast vs Cronulla in Darwin (pre-season trial) [source]
* North QLD vs Easts in Darwin (pre-season trial) [source]

Possibilities:
* St George Illawarra vs Easts in Perth (pre-season trial) [source]
* Brisbane were talking about playing a game in the NT last year but couldn't find another team willing to go up there. Hopefully they find someone in 2009.
* I'd assume that are going to be one or two more games at Gosord but haven't heard any talk about that yet.

While the NRL itself might not be promoting the game in expansion areas it's great to see clubs take the initiative like this.

Last edited:

ByRd

First Grade
Hopefully the bulldogs scrap the "home" game in brisbane and the rumour is that we will be playing a game or 2 in Gosford

franklin2323

Immortal
I have no problem with this as long as the games are marketed well. which I doubt! Channel 9 should broadcast the game live to these cities at least for these games or else it's useless. Then fans can watch it and become hooked and please dont put the force on that weekend. Those fans can watch a real game

rabbitohs

Juniors
NOOOO NOT CRONULLA PLEASE!!

(though very happy tbh if it's true).

I would be happy with any bloody game here in Adelaide tbh...Cronulla v Rabbitohs sounds good to me :).

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
The crappier Sydney clubs should take more games on the road (isn't that what the Kangaroos AFL team did?). This won't happen on any decent scale until the NRL starts offering rewards to clubs for doing so.

TheDalek079

Bench
Hopefully the Roosters play all their home games in Gosford from say 2010 onwards! :sarcasm: :)

and hopefully souffs will move all their home games to Perth. Get those morons as far away from Sydney as possible

The Dragons have proposed a trial against Easts at Perth, and there was something about Easts having also having a trial at Darwin

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
and hopefully souffs will move all their home games to Perth. Get those morons as far away from Sydney as possible

The Dragons have proposed a trial against Easts at Perth, and there was something about Easts having also having a trial at Darwin

Cheers. I've added the second Perth game to the OP but I couldn't find any articles about Easts playing in Darwin.

TheDalek079

Bench
Cheers. I've added the second Perth game to the OP but I couldn't find any articles about Easts playing in Darwin.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1216163161551.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Darwin's great loss, no Shadow of doubt

Roy Masters | July 19, 2008

...Perhaps some of these talented youngsters will return to Darwin in February when four NRL clubs - Titans versus Sharks and Cowboys versus Roosters - play full-strength trials. The Knights and Penrith played there in February, attracting a crowd of 9000 despite humid conditions....

joshreading

Staff member
Southern Sharks - cough cough - looks like Cronulla might have read my post. Expand and Consolidate all in one.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Southern Sharks - cough cough - looks like Cronulla might have read my post. Expand and Consolidate all in one.

I don't see why it can;t be arranged for a team to play most of it's away games in Adelaide. I know they will get the advantage of another 'home groung' but all those at homebush do anyway. The traditional fans get all the home games and the team have a new market and the game grows.

I would even accept Cronulla as the team to do it! :)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Cronulla's Adelaide game is now confirmed. Excellent work.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24440221-5006301,00.html

NRL powerhouse the Cronulla Sharks will play three premiership games in Adelaide over the next three years - and plan to make our state their second home.

Sharks and national rugby league coach Ricky Stuart made the announcement at Hindmarsh Stadium today, saying he wanted Adelaide to become the Sharks' second home.

Cronulla will play the North Queensland Cowboys in April 2008 and expect the 17,000 seat stadium to be close to full.

"I think it (Hindmarsh) is a real rugby league ground, the kind of place players will like to play on and fans will like to watch the games in," Stuart said.

The Sharks will consider playing more games in Adelaide at the end of the three-year experiment.

Minister for Recreation and Sport Michael Wright said the matches were an exciting opportunity for South Australian sports fans.

"Not only will this be a massive boost for South Australian rugby league fans, it will also show off Adelaide's world-class Hindmarsh Stadium," he said.

The Sharks lost 28-0 to grand final favourite the Melbourne Storm in last week's preliminary final.

The last time Adelaide was home to first class rugby league was when the Adelaide Rams folded in 1998.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would love to see Sth's do the same for Perth. A real shame the Govt sponsorship deal fell through.

Oh for some NRL leadership in all this! Shame Gallop isn't as quick to show his "leadership" in expanding the game as he is at slapping Waldron's wrist!

gho

Juniors
Unbelievable news for Adelaide, been waiting to watch some real football down here for years, and now we have a game against my team (Cowboys)

Latest posts