What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No he isn't, he's fairly clearly pointing out which governing bodies are best placed to deal with which growth areas in the game. The ARLC and NRL are closest to and therefore best served to work with Pacific Nations to grow their international strength.

RLEF and RFL are best placed to grow the game in Europe.

All of them should be working together to ensure a strong base of top-line internationals, of course, but there should also be a view to strong connections with local partners.

Nobody's deliberately ignoring anything.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Really?

PNG Hunters into the Australian system
Fijian club on the cusp of joining the Australian system
Annual PMXIII matches v PNG (I'd love this to be a full test, but baby steps)
NZ Warriors in the NRL
Kangaroos paycuts to pay Tongan players
Introduction and funding of the annual Pacific tests which has grown into an Oceania Championship
Annual matches v NZ Kiwis
Until very recently subsidising of Kiwi player payments

I mean, they aren't perfect and there are things they could do better but to state that they are not growing the game and the international presence of it is false.

To be fair the nrl has either done little or has some serious vested Interest in the examples above.

Png Hunters - how the nrl supporting this?
Fiji have been on the cusp for years and the lack of support from nrl has seen them rejected by nswrl numerous times
Tonga game, good on the players, if it had been left to the nrl it would have been cancelled due to cost
The pmxiii should have been an annual full test match celebratingi the png - Aussie war relationship years ago
Warriors are a big part in the nrl receiving $20mill a year from nz tv. They’ve earnt a lot more from nz than they’ve put back in
Matchsnv Kiwis, yep about the only consistent positive

In recent times I will applaud them though for funding the PI test that have taken place in Sydney.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
To be fair the nrl has either done little or has some serious vested Interest in the examples above.

Png Hunters - how the nrl supporting this?
Fiji have been on the cusp for years and the lack of support from nrl has seen them rejected by nswrl numerous times
Tonga game, good on the players, if it had been left to the nrl it would have been cancelled due to cost
The pmxiii should have been an annual full test match celebratingi the png - Aussie war relationship years ago
Warriors are a big part in the nrl receiving $20mill a year from nz tv. They’ve earnt a lot more from nz than they’ve put back in
Matchsnv Kiwis, yep about the only consistent positive

In recent times I will applaud them though for funding the PI test that have taken place in Sydney.

I think with regards to the Hunters, Fiji club and Warriors it is simply the fact that they have shown a willingness to allow them to enter. They don't have to do this and when the Warriors were first admitted they weren't receiving the $20m from NZ TV. I get what you are saying that the NRL have little direct involvement but for me it is the willingness to have them in the comp.

Re: Tonga, you've got a good point about the match probably not going ahead if it weren't for the players taking a pay cut.

Annual tests v Kiwis and Pacific Tests (along with the Pacific Strategy) do have direct NRL / ARLC involvement. I was just pointing out to Stallion that - sure, they could do better and we want them to, but the NRL are certainly not doing nothing to develop the game outside of Australia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How come they could afford to play internationals for a hundred years but now we can’t? Clueless the lot of them.

The rediculous notion that Aussies need 20k match payments to play for their country is why. Which is the point you are making. I agree with you - the Kangaroos shouldn't be pricing themselves out of international matches.

The Socceroos match payments are nothing near this at $7,500 and everyone still wants to represent them. I couldn't find a source for the Wallabies other than in 2013 match payments were cut to $10k. RU hasn't significantly improved in Australia since then so it may still be the case.

IMO, the Kangaroos should get $5 - 10k to play for Austalia, that's it. It would immediately make internationals more viable.

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/ffa-ceo-clarifies-cba-dispute

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...a/news-story/d4dc75b50a27899c651f455cb80495a6

Coastbloke

Bench
The rediculous notion that Aussies need 20k match payments to play for their country is why. Which is the point you are making. I agree with you - the Kangaroos shouldn't be pricing themselves out of international matches.

The Socceroos match payments are nothing near this at $7,500 and everyone still wants to represent them. I couldn't find a source for the Wallabies other than in 2013 match payments were cut to $10k. RU hasn't significantly improved in Australia since then so it may still be the case.

IMO, the Kangaroos should get $5 - 10k to play for Austalia, that's it. It would immediately make internationals more viable.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby...a/news-story/d4dc75b50a27899c651f455cb80495a6

This should apply to Origin as well. $5000 a match max..

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes it did. Your answer is fundamentally within that reply. You just don't care to take it on board!

Me:
The Pacific is in the immediate region of the NRL. They are not going to go and develop the game in Europe when the RFL and RLEF have got it covered are they? What do want from them? Their primary focus is and should be on developing the game in Australia and they have gone beyond that and helped NZ and their pacific neighbours.

You:
OMG! You are truelly ignorant of cultural and historical relevance and rivalry! That's all I'll state.

lol - ok, great response

Perth Red

Post Whore

NRL shot itself in the foot with Origin payments. Once they elevated them they had to play catch up with Kangaroo payments to keep the test jersey as the pinnacle of the sport, problem is the international game doesn't generate the same revenue as origin, now they have well and truly screwed themselves! Idiots.

Stallion

First Grade
NRL shot itself in the foot with Origin payments. Once they elevated them they had to play catch up with Kangaroo payments to keep the test jersey as the pinnacle of the sport, problem is the international game doesn't generate the same revenue as origin, now they have well and truly screwed themselves! Idiots.

Agree PR! However all.is not lost. The Tongan game has given hope for precedent. So a reasonable payment outcome is possible with goodwill for the international game at play. I know its wishful thinking but it has happened and a full house in NZ was achieved. Sadly this historical match wasn't screened to the eastern Australian states at prime time though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just renegotiate with the RLPA the payment amount. $10k for games against GB and NZ, $5k for games against everyone else. End of day if the stars dont want to get out of bed for $5k and test cap then f**k them and give the chance to another NRL player who will represent Australia for pride not money!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Just renegotiate with the RLPA the payment amount. $10k for games against GB and NZ, $5k for games against everyone else. End of day if the stars dont want to get out of bed for $5k and test cap then f**k them and give the chance to another NRL player who will represent Australia for pride not money!

Alternately, just retire the Roos jumper until WCs and the huge tours....

Then create a bunch of other rep brands that can run out (Indigenous AllStars and PM13 for example).

Costs stay low, not a problem if the big names arent interested and we get all the international games we want

siv

First Grade
Then you get RU knocking on our door again trying cherry pick players with Wallaby or Super Rugby contracts

I cant see the RLPA ever letting rep player payments drop at SOO level

The issue is how to grow the IntRL $ to better pay for internationals

Stallion

First Grade
Then you get RU knocking on our door again trying cherry pick players with Wallaby or Super Rugby contracts

I cant see the RLPA ever letting rep player payments drop at SOO level

The issue is how to grow the IntRL $ to better pay for internationals

Think the incentives/bonuses possibly generated through sponsors for Kangaroos and state selection may be a worthwhile angle?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They can’t get a sponsor for the kangaroos, must be the only national team in Australia that can’t find corporate support! Untilmthey lock in proper test calendars and convince the media to talk about the test arena with the same gusto as origin they are not ever going to grownthe revenue for international game they now need. They need to spend some of the shit load of money they have now got to reinvigorate the Kangaroos brand and profile.

Stallion

First Grade
They can’t get a sponsor for the kangaroos, must be the only national team in Australia that can’t find corporate support! Untilmthey lock in proper test calendars and convince the media to talk about the test arena with the same gusto as origin they are not ever going to grownthe revenue for international game they now need. They need to spend some of the shit load of money they have now got to reinvigorate the Kangaroos brand and profile.

Yes. We agree! It's amazing and astonishing that the ARLC and NRL have not gone down this path! This is despite learned advice some 5 years ago with all of the games stakeholders present at a seminar (guest speaker Professor David Rowe -UWS)stressing the importance of increasing the international relevance of rugby league. The people within this administration are not acting wisely in the interests of the code going forward in my opinion.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Think the incentives/bonuses possibly generated through sponsors for Kangaroos and state selection may be a worthwhile angle?

Issue is not being able to pay SOO or Kangaroos

Its being able to pay everyone else in a profitable arrangement

With a expectation that opposition teams will earn on par with this

From a Australian RLPA perspective a Kangaroo jersey is worth more than a SOO jersey

While the RLPA says that to play Australia its non Aussie nembers alre saying you need to pay the opposition the same as the Aussies

Then on top of this you have the authorities who want something like a 10% plus profit margin

Cant do a lot about costs other play games at Camobelltown. Its the revenue strams that need to grow. And there is no point hit the 15-20k people who turn up for more cash - you need to improve other revenue streams, especially TV rights

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes. We agree! It's amazing and astonishing that the ARLC and NRL have not gone down this path! This is despite learned advice some 5 years ago with all of the games stakeholders present at a seminar (guest speaker Professor David Rowe -UWS)stressing the importance of increasing the international relevance of rugby league. The people within this administration are not acting wisely in the interests of the code going forward in my opinion.

Dave Smith, being a union man, knew full well the untapped potential of the international game. It’s no surprise he stated numerous times in 2013 of his goal to see the Kangaroos jersey as the pinnacle of the game and to support the growth of international fixtures. Shame Greenberg is clueless of it.

Stallion

First Grade
Dave Smith, being a union man, knew full well the untapped potential of the international game. It’s no surprise he stated numerous times in 2013 of his goal to see the Kangaroos jersey as the pinnacle of the game and to support the growth of international fixtures. Shame Greenberg is clueless of it.

More than just Greenberg I suggest!