What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Lions Tour 2019

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greenberg is responsible for setting strategy and goals. The commission are there to advise and tick off on it. I doubt most of the commission would have a clue if it was a good idea or not. We saw with Smith what he did to begin to elevate internationals, Greenberg hasn’t a clue about most things it would seem. As he said at the beginning “I’m no visionary”. If Greenberg has said, we are going to underwrite the lions test game, play it at a full new wss and work damn hard to make it profitable then thencommisioners would have said go for it son. As it was he pulled the pin before he had even considered how to make it work.

Stallion

First Grade
Greenberg is responsible for setting strategy and goals. The commission are there to advise and tick off on it. I doubt most of the commission would have a beenew save enough to if it was a good idea or not. We saw with Smith what he did to begin to elevate internationals, Greenberg hasn’t a clue about most things it would seem. As he said at the beginning “I’m no visionary”. If Greenberg has said, we are going to underwrite the lions test game, play it at a full new wss and work damn hard to make it profitable then thencommisioners would have said go for it son. As it was he pulled the pin before he had even considered how to make it work.

If thats the case, that's dissappointing.I get the feeling the advice he's been seeing/hearing is flawed. But then again he should be cluey enough to work this out!? All is not well in rugby league’s ranks that's for sure! They are making stop gap decisions that show little aggressiveness and business acumen. Along with limiting the codes reach , it's dissappointing. Especially the international scenario.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Maybe we are all looking at rep payments in the wrong way....

Rather than cutting payments, what if we increased the payments and just accept some rep games will run at a lose.

Imagine if we stop increasing the club salary cap and put those payments towards rep payments instead.

- Players would be desperate to apear in the rep teams (that might be half of their salary) and they will probably demand MORE rep games (and maybe even propose new ideas for teams)
- Players would become very cautious with their public profile; bad behaviour could cost them a rep jumper and a LOT of money.
- it would peal away power from the club bosses (players are loyal to whoever pays them)

Rather than just looking at the short-term profit of a single match, maybe we should think of rep payments in a wider context. What can they do to change the power-dynamic of RL management?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Rather than cutting payments, what if we increased the payments and just accept some rep games will run at a lose.

Imagine if we stop increasing the club salary cap and put those payments towards rep payments instead.

- Players would be desperate to apear in the rep teams (that might be half of their salary) and they will probably demand MORE rep games (and maybe even propose new ideas for teams)
- Players would become very cautious with their public profile; bad behaviour could cost them a rep jumper and a LOT of money.
- it would peal away power from the club bosses (players are loyal to whoever pays them)

Rather than just looking at the short-term profit of a single match, maybe we should think of rep payments in a wider context. What can they do to change the power-dynamic of RL management?

They could pay the rep repayments out of all the fines they dish out to players and clubs! Would cover every nation in the region playing three games a year!

adamkungl

Immortal

It is a bit odd that Kangaroos games aren't seen as viable. I suggest some twisted accounting from the NRL is at play here.

It's been reported that it's not worth playing standalone Tests because they don't get an extra money from the broadcast deal.
Another way of saying this - they're included in the broadcast deal, they're already paid for but their rightful funding has been reallocated elsewhere.

There's no doubt the NRL could shuffle numbers around to make them seem as viable or non-viable as they like, and right now Kangaroos tests are a non-priority.
Future broadcast deals should not have internationals bundled to avoid this situation.

roughyedspud

Coach
League weekly are reporting that the NZRL are struggling to find sponsors and the tour might get pulled at the RLIF meeting next week..

roughyedspud

Coach
What I wrote on trl.

They are struggling cos it's a nothing tour with nothing games.. and some of us said this month's ago!

You can sell a 3 test baskerville series against GB or England....it means something!

A game here,a game there and maybe another game somewhere...is anyone surprised it's struggling??

Jim from Oz

Juniors
What I wrote on trl.

They are struggling cos it's a nothing tour with nothing games.. and some of us said this month's ago!

You can sell a 3 test baskerville series against GB or England....it means something!

A game here,a game there and maybe another game somewhere...is anyone surprised it's struggling??
100% agree

games MUST have some sort of MEANING

it's not rocket science !

what a frickin' mess of a sport this is !

Springs09

Juniors
NZRL are struggling to find sponsors for themselves or for the tour?

It should have been binned as soon as Australia didn't want any part of it. So many other options we could have done.

Perth Red

Post Whore
League weekly are reporting that the NZRL are struggling to find sponsors and the tour might get pulled at the RLIF meeting next week..

From afar it seems the NZRL are as badly run as the NRl, asking them to organise this might have been the wrong option!

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is a bit odd that Kangaroos games aren't seen as viable. I suggest some twisted accounting from the NRL is at play here.

What is odd is that the NRL asked players to take a 75% pay cut for the Tonga game. Sold it out and allegedly made $1million. Did the players get paid more? Did the NRL not realise they actually do have something they can make viable after this?

A test match would have drawn at least 25,000 at $30 a head avg. at WSS. With corporate and other spin off sales that's $1million revenue. GB get $400k of it Leaves $600k
18 Kangaroo Players paid $20k each that leaves $240k.
Stadium costs covered by NSW Govt sponsorship
How the frick can the NRL not be confident of at least breaking even?

Pommy

Coach
What is odd is that the NRL asked players to take a 75% pay cut for the Tonga game. Sold it out and allegedly made $1million. Did the players get paid more? Did the NRL not realise they actually do have something they can make viable after this?

A test match would have drawn at least 25,000 at $30 a head avg. at WSS. With corporate and other spin off sales that's $1million revenue. GB get $400k of it Leaves $600k
18 Kangaroo Players paid $20k each that leaves $240k.
Stadium costs covered by NSW Govt sponsorship
How the frick can the NRL not be confident of at least breaking even?

They have no faith in Sydney RL fans either.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sydney is still being punished for drawing a poor crowd to a 1 sided semi at the 2008 World Cup.
Brisbane's no longer an easy win with the WC finals failing to draw the desired crowds.

Guess that's the NRL all out of ideas.

Burns

First Grade
What happens if the Lions tour is cancelled? What do England do?

I feel it would be 50/50 that there is no replacements lined up and England/Great Britain do not play a test this year.

roughyedspud

Coach
Can people STOP derailing the thread with comments about Australia not playing GB...

ITS NOT f**kING HAPPENING,GET OVER IT...

roughyedspud

Coach
What happens if the Lions tour is cancelled? What do England do?

I feel it would be 50/50 that there is no replacements lined up and England/Great Britain do not play a test this year.

We,England,will likely arrange somekind of home series...maybe 3 games v France...or how about 4nations with France,Jamaica & Wales...in fact I like that :)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What I wrote on trl.

These f*cking organisers think they were in 1940.

It used to be fine touring a team randomly, playing one-off games. The locals were just happy to see top-level football.

What the organisers dont seem to realize is WE ALL HAVE F*CK TVS!!!!! The original gimmick doesnt exist anymore because we can see these guys play in our home. What we need is a build-up, a story to get invested in.

One game means f*ck all because there is no build up to it. This is what makes the 3-game series so effective, every game builds on the last story (G1 "who are these f*ckers and why should i care?", G2 "oh, i care now. Can my team close out the series/level the scores?", G3 "F*CK ME, its all or nothing now/geez, can the losers avoid a whitewash and find some dignity?").

One-off games only achieve that first "who are these f*ckers and why should i care?". It is AMAZING that RL people havent figured this out yet. Do we think Origin is an inexplicable miracle that can never be repeated?