What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

From the above article:

The truth is Ciraldo, with the aid of Gould, was coaching them for the bulk of that season with Griffin on the periphery because he’d lost the faith of Panthers players.

This sounds like a rewriting of history to boost Ciraldo's stocks. There are various theories as to what happened but this is the first time I've heard this put forward. Even Gus in his explanations at the time didn't try to suggest Hook had lost the players, his version was that Hook was trying to do everything himself. A bit of a stretch to imagine Hook fronting media before and after games when he wasn't even coaching the side. What seems most logical to me is that Hook and Gould had a falling out going back to the infamous trial match against the Bulldogs.
I don’t read the SMH stuff as much as other media outlets as it is harder to do from the UK, but from what I have seen it is just as agenda driven as the DT guys; it’s just that the SMH agenda seems to be more aligned with the pro-Panthers agande more often.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
From the above article:

The truth is Ciraldo, with the aid of Gould, was coaching them for the bulk of that season with Griffin on the periphery because he’d lost the faith of Panthers players.

This sounds like a rewriting of history to boost Ciraldo's stocks. There are various theories as to what happened but this is the first time I've heard this put forward. Even Gus in his explanations at the time didn't try to suggest Hook had lost the players, his version was that Hook was trying to do everything himself. A bit of a stretch to imagine Hook fronting media before and after games when he wasn't even coaching the side. What seems most logical to me is that Hook and Gould had a falling out going back to the infamous trial match against the Bulldogs.

Exactly.

I'd forgotten about that, amongst all the he said, and then he said stuff. I was told that Hook was unwilling to delegate and allow others to work within the coaching ranks.

Meaning Hook found it hard (if not impossible) to work within a team. IE. Didn't play nicely with others.

DinkyDi

Juniors
1652753894840.jpeg

Attachments

• 280883658_10160235127861085_6562460689507276671_n.jpg
    280883658_10160235127861085_6562460689507276671_n.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 281329570_10160235127961085_3071401470066506910_n.jpg
    281329570_10160235127961085_3071401470066506910_n.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 3
  • 281726306_10160235127946085_5514721107936009174_n.jpg
    281726306_10160235127946085_5514721107936009174_n.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3

Whino

Bench
This is a good read.

May 16, 2022 — 11.12am

Four years ago, Cameron Ciraldo phoned Craig Fitzgibbon and took a gentle swing.
“Hurry up and take a job,” Ciraldo joked. “What are you waiting for?”
The pair knew each other from their time together coaching NSW Country when Fitzgibbon was head coach and Ciraldo his assistant.
Fitzgibbon was at the front of the production line as the Next Big Thing in coaching, having served a long apprenticeship under Trent Robinson at the Roosters.

“I’m waiting for the right job,” replied Fitzgibbon, who has the patience of an Easter Island statue.
Fitzgibbon knocked back approaches from the Warriors, Newcastle, North Queensland and St George Illawarra before landing this season at Cronulla, where he’s been an overnight success 10 years in the making.
Now, Ciraldo finds himself at the front of the line, so successful has he been in all his years at Penrith, including Saturday night’s statement victory over Melbourne when he stood in for coach Ivan Cleary, who had a knee infection.
He’s already knocked back the Wests Tigers and rebuffed an offer from Fitzgibbon to join him as assistant coach.

A little-known fact is the Dragons sniffed him out two years ago after sacking Paul McGregor, but Ciraldo was mature enough to tell them he wasn’t ready. Anthony Griffin was appointed instead.

Is Ciraldo ready to become the next coach of the Bulldogs after their twitchy board maneuvered Trent Barrett into quitting on Monday morning?
Not now. Not in a million years.
There are reports a new coach could take over as soon as Wednesday, which seems premature. Out-of-work coaches Paul Green and Shane Flanagan are being linked to the job, along with Ciraldo.

The problem for the Bulldogs is their football side appears so fundamentally broken, their roster so lopsided with players who are on too much money, don’t want to be there or don’t seem to care, it wouldn’t be the right fit for any coach.
Yet it would take one of the modern-day supercoaches – Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson — to dig Canterbury out of this mess.
People latch onto director of football Phil Gould’s recent remarks on Nine’s 100% Footy about Barrett being at the Bulldogs “long after I’m gone” but the decision will be taken out of his hands, which might have its own implications.
Perhaps Gould’s comments from September 2020 on the same program hold greater significance.
An assistant at Penrith working alongside Ciraldo, Barrett was in the frame to replace Dean Pay at Belmore, mostly because Gould had suggested as much to frustrated directors.

Suddenly, on air, Gould had a change of mind.
“He’s in a really good club at the moment at the Panthers, he’s got a great role and is doing a tremendous job,” Gould said. “I’d be nearly inclined to decline it and go back to where he is and just wait a little bit more time because the Bulldogs is an absolute mess. Behind the scenes it is a toxic mess.”
Instead, Barrett couldn’t help himself and jumped right into the toxic mess and, remarkably, so did Gould towards the end of last year.
It’s folly to predict what Gould would be thinking now but those same comments could apply to Ciraldo, who has been linked to the Bulldogs job for months.
Penrith types still chuckle when commentators cite how Griffin coached them to fourth when he was sacked in 2018.

Ciraldo shared with those Panthers players what he shares now: a close bond having coached them since the under-20s.
In that time, he’s become more than an assistant, almost assuming the role as co-coach alongside Cleary. He’s so serious about his job his contracts have included club-funded trips to major sporting franchises around the world.
Gould’s long-term intention was for Ivan Cleary to become general manager of football with Ciraldo to take over as head coach.
It still might happen. Cleary just extended until the end of 2027 but Ciraldo doesn’t seem like a coach in hurry. At 37, it’s not like time’s running out. He can afford to wait for the right job and the right job, in time, is Penrith.

If not Ciraldo at the Bulldogs, then who?

Only rugby league could throw up a plot line in which Flanagan becomes coach of the club he’s been butting heads with for two seasons because of how it’s used his son, Kyle.
That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t coach them. The Bulldogs require a coach who can rumble with the politics of the front office, something Flanagan certainly did at the Sharks for better or worse.
The Bulldogs are a club in perpetual disarray because of its front office. Or, more precisely, its boardroom.

Because football club elections are held every two years, football club decisions are more about appeasing voters than slowly rebuilding a once-proud club.
It’s why Canterbury burns through coaches and pays silly money to players like Tevita Pangai jnr.
The roster gets another sugar hit next year when Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney arrive but the problems at Belmore run deeper than the roster.
Barrett is gone. Good luck to whichever coach thinks Canterbury is “the right job” for them.

BxTom

Bench
This is a good read.

May 16, 2022 — 11.12am

Four years ago, Cameron Ciraldo phoned Craig Fitzgibbon and took a gentle swing.
The pair knew each other from their time together coaching NSW Country when Fitzgibbon was head coach and Ciraldo his assistant.
Fitzgibbon was at the front of the production line as the Next Big Thing in coaching, having served a long apprenticeship under Trent Robinson at the Roosters.

“I’m waiting for the right job,” replied Fitzgibbon, who has the patience of an Easter Island statue.
Fitzgibbon knocked back approaches from the Warriors, Newcastle, North Queensland and St George Illawarra before landing this season at Cronulla, where he’s been an overnight success 10 years in the making.
Now, Ciraldo finds himself at the front of the line, so successful has he been in all his years at Penrith, including Saturday night’s statement victory over Melbourne when he stood in for coach Ivan Cleary, who had a knee infection.
He’s already knocked back the Wests Tigers and rebuffed an offer from Fitzgibbon to join him as assistant coach.

A little-known fact is the Dragons sniffed him out two years ago after sacking Paul McGregor, but Ciraldo was mature enough to tell them he wasn’t ready. Anthony Griffin was appointed instead.

Is Ciraldo ready to become the next coach of the Bulldogs after their twitchy board maneuvered Trent Barrett into quitting on Monday morning?
There are reports a new coach could take over as soon as Wednesday, which seems premature. Out-of-work coaches Paul Green and Shane Flanagan are being linked to the job, along with Ciraldo.

The problem for the Bulldogs is their football side appears so fundamentally broken, their roster so lopsided with players who are on too much money, don’t want to be there or don’t seem to care, it wouldn’t be the right fit for any coach.
Yet it would take one of the modern-day supercoaches – Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson — to dig Canterbury out of this mess.
People latch onto director of football Phil Gould’s recent remarks on Nine’s 100% Footy about Barrett being at the Bulldogs “long after I’m gone” but the decision will be taken out of his hands, which might have its own implications.
Perhaps Gould’s comments from September 2020 on the same program hold greater significance.
An assistant at Penrith working alongside Ciraldo, Barrett was in the frame to replace Dean Pay at Belmore, mostly because Gould had suggested as much to frustrated directors.

“He’s in a really good club at the moment at the Panthers, he’s got a great role and is doing a tremendous job,” Gould said. “I’d be nearly inclined to decline it and go back to where he is and just wait a little bit more time because the Bulldogs is an absolute mess. Behind the scenes it is a toxic mess.”
Instead, Barrett couldn’t help himself and jumped right into the toxic mess and, remarkably, so did Gould towards the end of last year.
It’s folly to predict what Gould would be thinking now but those same comments could apply to Ciraldo, who has been linked to the Bulldogs job for months.
Penrith types still chuckle when commentators cite how Griffin coached them to fourth when he was sacked in 2018.

Ciraldo shared with those Panthers players what he shares now: a close bond having coached them since the under-20s.
In that time, he’s become more than an assistant, almost assuming the role as co-coach alongside Cleary. He’s so serious about his job his contracts have included club-funded trips to major sporting franchises around the world.
Gould’s long-term intention was for Ivan Cleary to become general manager of football with Ciraldo to take over as head coach.
It still might happen. Cleary just extended until the end of 2027 but Ciraldo doesn’t seem like a coach in hurry. At 37, it’s not like time’s running out. He can afford to wait for the right job and the right job, in time, is Penrith.

Only rugby league could throw up a plot line in which Flanagan becomes coach of the club he’s been butting heads with for two seasons because of how it’s used his son, Kyle.
That doesn’t mean he shouldn’t coach them. The Bulldogs require a coach who can rumble with the politics of the front office, something Flanagan certainly did at the Sharks for better or worse.
The Bulldogs are a club in perpetual disarray because of its front office. Or, more precisely, its boardroom.

Because football club elections are held every two years, football club decisions are more about appeasing voters than slowly rebuilding a once-proud club.
It’s why Canterbury burns through coaches and pays silly money to players like Tevita Pangai jnr.
The roster gets another sugar hit next year when Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney arrive but the problems at Belmore run deeper than the roster.
Barrett is gone. Good luck to whichever coach thinks Canterbury is “the right job” for them.

I think it has already been generally agreed that Hook was coaching and Ciraldo (and other assistants) couldn't get a look in, so that part of the argument seems to be plucked out of the air.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
This is a good read.

May 16, 2022 — 11.12am

I didn't realise he is only 37. That's extremely young and some players would be 5 years retired from playing the game.

Munky

Coach
I didn't realise he is only 37. That's extremely young and some players would be 5 years retired from playing the game.

Only five or so years older than the club's former CEO was at the time of his appointment.

What could go wrong?

That said I don't think age is a problem for Ciraldo, I don't know if any of the current squad were even in first grade when he finished up in 2013?

Trent Robinson started his NRL coaching career at 36 or so.

Iamback

Coach
Only five or so years older than the club's former CEO was at the time of his appointment.

What could go wrong?

That said I don't think age is a problem for Ciraldo, I don't know if any of the current squad were even in first grade when he finished up in 2013?

Robinson had head coach experience before though

Iamback

Coach
I think it has already been generally agreed that Hook was coaching and Ciraldo (and other assistants) couldn't get a look in, so that part of the argument seems to be plucked out of the air.

Journos have agenda's. That paper Gus works for so will follow that line of thinking.

DT love hook hate Gus - so go too far the other way.

The truth is in the middle somewhere

BossleyPanther

Juniors

What could go wrong?

He was head coach at 36?

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Born 1977 started with the Roosters in 2013.

Did two seasons at Catalans before that.

Played four first grade games in the early 00s (which I had to look up).

Very much the definition of nuffy player but good coach.
Unbelievable only 2 years older then me. I thought he was 50 or something. I also thought he play alot more games. He is a good coach, but he also is coaching the Roosters and is no Bellamy. I wonder if he was ever given the Dogs job what would happen???

Hooked

Juniors
Journos have agenda's. That paper Gus works for so will follow that line of thinking.

DT love hook hate Gus - so go too far the other way.

The truth is in the middle somewhere

Always agenda's. Webster did the disgraceful hatchet job on Hook before he was appointed to the Dragons. Whether people think he can coach or not it was poor behaviour from a journalist trying to influence a club's appointment.
I am sure it was done days after Gould's rant.