What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

ocko

juniors
knew it was an april fool's joke, but the nrl are that stupid you had a feeling it might be true!

fourplay

Juniors
Skinner said:
OK....how many of us forgot it was April 1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

me :crazy:

I could feel the anger boiling up inside me ready to make one angry post!!! hahah :lol:

wittyfan

Referee
The real joke is that Golden Point was introduced to regular season games in the first place.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Worst rule in the book

By Ray Chesterton | January 03, 2009
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24865687-5016307,00.html

THE NRL goes into the 2009 season still boasting the most cockeyed, unbalanced, haphazard rule imaginable. I'm talking about the loathsome golden point idiocy that is foisted upon us. There is nothing wrong with a draw.
It is an honorable result befitting the efforts of two teams that have battled each other to the point of exhaustion.
Drawn finals matches would be replayed.
Players do not deserve to have their sterling efforts for 80 minutes demeaned by uncoordinated frenzies to scramble for the inevitable field goal. In a game that has long lacked consistency in administration and structure, look at the lopsidedness.
First-grade sides have golden point. Lower grades play draws all season but golden point in the finals. There is golden point in State Of Origin matches but not Tests.
The only compromise is a golden period of, say, five minutes each way to resolve draws. Not sudden death.

a few comments from the Tele

Golden point is the most exciting edge of the seat thriller stuff there is in rugby league. A draw creates no emotion. Contrast that with golden point where excitement runs high and the finishes are often dramatic and leaves fans feeling ecstatic. Golden point - The best rule in the game.
Posted by: Kris K. of Penrith 4:28am January 03, 2009 Comment 1 of 23

The only thing cockeyed and unbalanced is Ray C's head. What better way to decide two even teams than a last big push to go ahead. Golden point doesnt need changing. What needs changing if anything is that loser should still get a point for making the full 80 without losing and the winner in OT gets the extra point. Every team knows drop kicks are coming when inside 40 or so. They can push up hard on D and try not to give up penalties maybe opening the line for tries. I for one think Golden Point gives teams answers and shows who can come through in the clutch. Keep it and stop whingeing
Posted by: Dan White of Sydney 7:21am January 03, 2009 Comment 2 of 23

it;s simple at the end off golden point the winner gets 2 point. the hard done by team still gets point. for the draw at normal time.
Posted by: matt of syd 7:23am January 03, 2009 Comment 3 of 23

Hear Hear Ray
Posted by: Norm 7:24am January 03, 2009 Comment 4 of 23

Go one better and abolish the whole game!!
Posted by: Ted 7:37am January 03, 2009 Comment 5 of 23

For once ray you make sense I detest the rule even though my club souths have a good win loss record under it. A team can bust their guts for 89 minutes and loose because of a controversial decision. All it is is, set for feel goal, try to milk a penalty. It just aint footy. GET RID OF IT
Posted by: Barry Westcott of Taree 7:49am January 03, 2009 Comment 6 of 23

the rest
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/comments/0,26800,24865687-5016307,00.html

I think it should change to golden try myself and if there is no golden try then it is still a draw

Bulldog Force

Referee
For once ray you make sense I detest the rule even though my club souths have a good win loss record under it. A team can bust their guts for 89 minutes and loose because of a controversial decision. All it is is, set for feel goal, try to milk a penalty. It just aint footy. GET RID OF IT
That guy said it best. Scrap the sh*t.

JoeD

First Grade
I don't like it but if it has to be then I agree with:

I think it should change to golden try myself and if there is no golden try then it is still a draw

I still hate it, I still prefer draws. Bull they have no emotion, it's just like Golden Point could be the last 10 minutes of a game anyway. They're definitely still edge of the seat.

Gaba

First Grade
In the normal rounds there should be no golden point , also under the current golden points rule after 10mins of extra time the game can still be a draw , so whats the point.

If the nrl is serious about getting rid of the draws have the golden point rule apply after 10mins of the old extra time rules , where the first scorer isnt the winner, if the scores are even after 10 mins of extra time then apply the golden point ( no time limit)

Latest posts