What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

mxlegend99

Referee
Regular season matches.... just award each team one point for a draw.

Matches where we MUST have a winner. Golden Try IMO.

bobmar28

Bench
I don't see the problem. Field goals are often kicked to get a one point victory in the last few minutes of a game, why not in extra time?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I suppose they don't want games drawn out as pathetically as the VB NSW Cup final.

Slight difference - most NRL halfbacks can actually kick field goals, and would know to give up.
mxlegend said:
Regular season matches.... just award each team one point for a draw.

Matches where we MUST have a winner. Golden Try IMO.
While I don't disagree with your first point, your second point is rubbish. There is no need to tinker with finals series/Origin extra time rules.

Slight difference - most NRL halfbacks can actually kick field goals, and would know to give up.

There has been six matches since inception that have gone to 90 minutes. At the end it's such an anti-climax though. The word I'm emphasising from you is 'can'...there are those days it'd probably take 95 minutes to end one of those six matches.

I don't see the problem. Field goals are often kicked to get a one point victory in the last few minutes of a game, why not in extra time?

Golden point is such an anti-climax for me. The players get sloppier than they do at the end of a game. I still don't see what the problem is with a draw.

Matt23

Staff member
Golden Point :arrow:
Except for finals and deciding matches of State Of Origin

perverse

Referee
geez there have been some cracking matches that have gone to golden point.. however i'm still in favour of scrapping it for any game that doesn't require it.

ozbash

Referee
A draw is a result.

In finals footy you have for/against in the unlikely event of a draw.

G/F draw = replay.

JB

Juniors
I dont mind the GP. Both teams should go away with at least a point though at the end of regular time.

I dont mind the GP. Both teams should go away with at least a point though at the end of regular time.

I find that silly as teams who lose at 80:00 would be entitled to no competition points against those who lose at 80:10?

GP just doesn't work for me.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Get rid of it, Im sick of teams trying to go for a field goal in Golden Point.

Get rid of it, or make it golden try.

whats the point of having an extra 10 mins if teams are just gonna practice drop goal attempts.

What was wrong with a draw anyway? Before they got rid of it, draws were exciting. No one lost, no one won, teams still got a point out of it. Imagine playing 5 golden point games, and loosing all 5. You've couldve had 5 points in the old system.

The first game I went to was a draw.
People say it isn't good for crowds.
I can confirm that's bull.
Both supporting teams continued to go at each other, saying their team was better, pretty much the same as pre-game debates.

charlie

Juniors
if we have to have a winner in a tied game it should go to the team with most tries. still no winner then last try scorer. I suggest last try scorer as it would normally represent the team that is finishing the strongest and it is an 80 minute game.
My personal preference is to leave the game as a tie, but it will never happen while nine and fox have all the say.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
if we have to have a winner in a tied game it should go to the team with most tries. still no winner then last try scorer. I suggest last try scorer as it would normally represent the team that is finishing the strongest and it is an 80 minute game.
My personal preference is to leave the game as a tie, but it will never happen while nine and fox have all the say.

By that rule, a team could still kick 5 field goals or 3 penalty goals and win on points, but because the other team scores a try, they win... :?

JB

Juniors
I find that silly as teams who lose at 80:00 would be entitled to no competition points against those who lose at 80:10?

How so? Both teams get a point after 80. The winning team in GP gets the extra point.
Both teams come away with something. A bit fairer than at the moment with the losing side in GP getting nothing.

innsaneink

Referee
Go back to draws.
I liked them, most draws there was usually always one team that was lucky to get the draw, and the other team usually shouldve won

Leave it as is or scrap it, but ffs none of this golden try garbage. It would end up as a 10 vs 10 game because every line break would be followed by a professional foul, with players knowing that they can't lose the game from a penalty goal.

Latest posts