What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

RockWheel

Bench
Think if they want to the golden point route, change it to silver point, and play out the rest of the five minutes. Gives the opposition team a slim chance to hit back depending when the point(s) is scored.

Engine

Juniors
AFL replays the whole darn game the following week.

No way should we go down that path, but golden point? What if that grub Issac Luke did that acting in a grand final? It will end a grand final one day.

RockWheel

Bench
AFL replays the whole darn game the following week.

No way should we go down that path, but golden point? What if that grub Issac Luke did that acting in a grand final? It will end a grand final one day.

Which is pretty f**ked, I reckon.

Loudstrat

Coach
At least you stand some change of defusing the hail mary bomb.
You charge down a drop goal you just give them 6 more tackles.
Dean Young done well to block one shot, he was always going to struggle to stop the second against the broncos, ditto the week before.
And yes Saints got to last years GF by a field goal, that gave them a lead they had to grimly defend for a few minutes.
In Golden point a team can be on the backfoot and find themselves the lucky recipient of field position and then win the game, the recourse for the other team to reply?
None.

Think if they want to the golden point route, change it to silver point, and play out the rest of the five minutes. Gives the opposition team a slim chance to hit back depending when the point(s) is scored.
Where the f*ck has this geniused line of thinking come from? A right of reply?

FFS lets make it golden two converted tries, so the team that gets at least 7 points in front wins.

After 80 minutes you reckon a side needs a right of reply . That makes South Wales Rabbitoh's suggestion of a triangular field sound sensible.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
I like the golden try idea but under a 'first to 4' system. If you have golden try but allow other methods of scoring, you could have the unlikely but possible scenario of a team scoring more than 4 points through field goals and/or penalty goals but losing to a try.

First team in extra time to 4 points wins. If no tries, then play the 10 minutes and highest score wins. If no score, it's a draw or, in finals, it can then be golden point.

So you can have field goals and penalty goals in extra time, but they don't end the game, unless they lead to the team's 4th point being scored. But the first try of extra time DOES end the game.

This gives the NRL the 'golden' element i.e. a (major) score ending the game (and the excitement that comes with this), a 'right of reply' to a field goal (or 2) or a penalty goal but will limit extra time (in premiership matches) to no more than 10 minutes which coaches will (probably) be ok with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No problem with it, to get a field goal is a skill as much as putting up a cross field bomb and usually requires good play to get decent field position like we saw from the Warriors No. 6 to get them into that position.

I didn't mind how they did it in netball (in the Commonwealth games I think?). 5 mins each way and if still tied, keep going till one team gets 2 points in front.

In league, make it 3 or 4 points instead of 2.

Loudstrat

Coach
How about Golden Touchdown? As long as you get the ball over the line that will do?

Or Golden Paper, Scissors, Rock?

Mr Fourex

Bench
The Cowboys didn't deserve to loss like that, specially in a finals game. Not saying cowboys should of won, but golden try should definitely be the rule.

Why not.......they had their chance and they blew the kick at goal.

Warriors took their chance and come up trumps.

Golden point > golden try

10 mins each way of extra time then golden point.

blaza88z

Coach
Where the f*ck has this geniused line of thinking come from? A right of reply?

FFS lets make it golden two converted tries, so the team that gets at least 7 points in front wins.

After 80 minutes you reckon a side needs a right of reply . That makes South Wales Rabbitoh's suggestion of a triangular field sound sensible.

Table Tennis rules bro, must win by x ammount of points.. :lol:

blaza88z

Coach
I think this thread is a reaction to teams who compete in golden point and don't have the "clutch" kind of player. The skill in golden point isn't the actual kick, I am sure any decent half in the game could slot a field goal from 20 out and really if someone can put a field goal over from 40 out, they deserve it..

M2D2

Bench
Cronulla dont really have a clutch player.
I still think the idea of golden try is f**king stupid.
Not that cronulla would score a try if their life depended on it anyways.

Loudstrat

Coach
Table Tennis rules bro, must win by x ammount of points.. :lol:

Ok then. they must win by one point.
](*,)

Do you realise how f*cking stupid your way would be? Over 80 minutes, you can win by one point, but the teams are so even that it's a draw. Suddenly, these two evenly matched teams now have to win by 2.

Last edited:

Latest posts