What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point.........again

Should Golden Point Stay

• YES - Entertaining

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • NO - Fulltime = shared points.

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • How about that goal kicking idea

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • There is a better to determine winner.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters

LazyDreamer

Bench
AFL replays the whole darn game the following week.

No way should we go down that path, but golden point? What if that grub Issac Luke did that acting in a grand final? It will end a grand final one day.

:lol: lol@50uff$ in a grand final? Now you're just being silly.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i was against golden try, but i have come around to it..

yes, by all means kick a field goal to get you ahead, however it means that you have to defend till the end of extra time..

taking the opportunity to run in a try makes it better for fans, and allows the game to focus on the key objective that players have all through the previous 80 minutes - score tries in order to win the game..

i'd much rather see someone win a game (even if it's against my team) by scoring a try, rather than turning extra time into a rugby union style kicking fest...

I agree. Golden try is a great option in todays scenario, but if it's anything under 20-all it can be f*cked.

What other sport in the world bans a way of scoring points to win if the game is close?

Imagine Tennis: You can only win a tiebreak on an Ace. How intelligent!

however, to win a tiebreak, you need to win 7 points, not just one..

Hutty1986

Immortal
It's a joke to have GP in finals matches. I can understand it for regular season games but it's disgraceful to have any side's season decided like that

Pierced Soul

First Grade
10 mins (or 5 mins) each way, then golden point if scores are still level would be ideal.

This

I've always believed that you should have a chance to respond to an opponent scoring. I dont wnat to see a team receive the ball form a kickoff go upfield and kick a 50m field goal and the other team not to have a chance within a time frame to respond.

if it's still locked up after extra time then let it be golden point

and bring abck draws for regular season games FFS

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
thinking back to the 1989 grand final... raiders vs tigers..

the game went to extra time..

there was a field goal, which put the raiders ahead..

but then there was steve jackson's barge over try, one of the great grand final winning tries..

golden point would have robbed fans of the opportunity to see this happen..

Mr Fourex

Bench
It's a joke to have GP in finals matches. I can understand it for regular season games but it's disgraceful to have any side's season decided like that

So what do you want.... play a replay ?

FFS........you want to ban field goals as well? Hardly surprising coming from a Merge supporter....:lol:

As I said earlier regarding Sundays Toyata Cup......the Cowboys could have won it if they had of converted their last minute try. They didn't. The Warriors got themselves into field position and kicked a field goal in golden point.

What's disgraceful about that?

Finals matches deserve a result......on the day.

Hutty1986

Immortal
So what do you want.... play a replay ?

FFS........you want to ban field goals as well? Hardly surprising coming from a Merge supporter....:lol:

As I said earlier regarding Sundays Toyata Cup......the Cowboys could have won it if they had of converted their last minute try. They didn't. The Warriors got themselves into field position and kicked a field goal in golden point.

What's disgraceful about that?

Finals matches deserve a result......on the day.

When did I once say I didn't want a result on the day you f*cking moron?

I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if your litle golden boy didn't kick the GF a few weeks ago and it was Soward instead.

Golden try or simply 10 minutes of extra time is better than the arsey lottery of kicking wobbly field goals.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if your litle golden boy didn't kick the GF a few weeks ago and it was Soward instead.

:lol: :lol: ...........I thought I detected bitterness and resentment in your earlier post.

F*ck golden try .......and I did mean earlier, 10 mins each way of extra time and THEN golden point.

Hutty1986

Immortal
:lol: :lol: ...........I thought I detected bitterness and resentment in your earlier post.

F*ck golden try .......and I did mean earlier, 10 mins each way of extra time and THEN golden point.

:lol: Yes, so bitter and full of resentment, you seem to get more stupid every day (somehow)

ET or golden try would work, definitely better the current farcical system

juro

Bench
Get rid of any extra time during the regular season. Nothing wrong with a draw then. When you need a result (finals, State of Origin, Internationals), play extra time. I am happy enough with golden point then. I would be interested to see how golden try went though.

I guess the downside to golden try may be that teams just give away penalties instead of conceding tries.

jimmee007

Juniors
I'm a massive fan of 'silver point'.

Make extra time 10 minutes each way. if you are winning after the first 10 minutes you win the game. If it a draw you continue for another 10. After that I believe there is no choice but golden point.

The problem with golden try as Loudstrat says it changes the way we can win a game, its OK to win a game by a field goal n the 75th minute, but once it gets to extra time you cant. (and a try ends the game)

The other problem with golden try is the small posibility that the team with less points could win the game. its just too confusing.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
"The problem with golden try it changes the way we can win a game"

"The other problem with golden try is the small posibility that the team with less points could win the game."

"I guess the downside to golden try may be that teams just give away penalties instead of conceding tries."

Golden Try - First to 4 points. Solves each of these problems.

* All modes of scoring allowed.
* If you can get to 4 with a combination of penalty and or field goals, then you win.
* You can only give up one penalty in scoring position.

SwampyMarc

Juniors
i'll state my allegiance up front - I'm a dragons fan. am i filthy that we lost in extra time GP - yes I am, but here is my opinion as to why GP extra time should be flicked and why i think 10 min each way would be preferable.

the problem with GP / GT is that a team can score off the 1st set in extra time and thus denying the opposition an opportunity to have a crack. Why should the defending side on the first set be penalised for taking the game into extra time. they should also be given an equal chance to win the match.

you see very few matches won by a try in extra time, so as it stands, you may as well pick your best 5 field goal shooters and have a shoot out starting from 10 metres out and bringing it back 5 / 10 metres each shot, otherwise, 10 each way until you get a result.

Doomednow

Bench
I like golden point. It hurts when you lose to it but it turns the extra time into a frantic scramble, changes the nature of the game somewhat. Who isn't biting their nails everytime the opposition gets in range? Who isn't on the edge of their seat when your kicker manages to fire one off?

I LIKE IT.

In saying that, it's probably only necessary for finals games.

Loudstrat

Coach
the problem with GP / GT is that a team can score off the 1st set in extra time and thus denying the opposition an opportunity to have a crack.
After 81 minutes, one team hasn't had a chance?

That'll do me.

Lets not forget that there is a coin toss for possession as well.

I have no idea why a field goal in the 80th minute is ok, but one in the 81st must be banned.

Why not make it a real challenge. A Golden point run-in try. Imagine the horror of losing a game from a bomb and a video ref decision after seeing a pleyer "score" just because he forensically had a fingernail in the ball in goal.

How about golden penalty try?

Orn just keep playing until all players are injured, except the last one standing?

Any of those would be just as stupid as suddenly banning field goals.

SwampyMarc

Juniors
just as the team that loses had 80 minutes so did the eventual winners have 80 minutes, so I think it's only fair that both teams have an equal chance to win in extra time.