What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The media can accuse players and clubs of anything and build some BS story that is taken completely out of context, they just use words like allededly, and use indierct quotes like, some people say or friends say no exact name conected to the quote. The media use to do these stories on Big Willie now it's Gower.
Have we all forgotten how the media treated the Bulldogs over Coffs Harbour? They were all accused of things they never did. I'm still waiting for the girl who was a single mother to do a story for some tabloid rag, it's never happened nor will it in the future.

Dave Q

Coach
Gower would be well aware that things happen on these nights and at 2.30am he's as smashed as, kissing some bloke.

He's spent an entire year making up for his last incident. He had a tourist incident a number of years ago. He has form.

On that occasion last year, the club resolved it, they did pretty well, but its no secret that Gower wasnt happy.

On this occasion, the club have stuck their necks out again, even to the extent of getting some of the media off-side with their vigour to shut the story down.

But whilst they have stood by him publically, the Panthers have every reason to be seething about this behind closed doors. Their patience must be severely tested.

Its can also be seen as a bit of a spit in the face for their efforts last year.

They even cleared him to play union this Xmas before the ARL blocked it.

They couldnt have done much more for him.

Lets hope they are rewarded on the field for their efforts, like he did for them last year before his injury. For those initial rounds he was one of the best players in the comp.

If he doesnt get over himself and the grog, once his playing career is over he will simply dissapear into the abyss. People wont want to touch him. A lot of famous ex-players struggle with relative obscurity. Perhaps, Gower faces worse.

But you can never underestimate Craig Gower. Ive only ever seen a few real champions. Gower is such a player.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dave Q said:
Gower would be well aware that things happen on these nights and at 2.30am he's as smashed as, kissing some bloke.
The kissing and biting stories have pretty much been retracted. The latest story is that Gower tackled someone. Then later in the night was pushing the guy who hit him, around. They came after the Panthers were specifically threatened with a follow up story for Gower refusing to comment to a reporter. Panthers had access to the video footage and from that they decided Gower didn't do anything wrong

I would imagine the newspaper could somehow get ahold of it, and post pictures if Gower did indeed do some of what they claimed. Surely a frame with him tackling someone, or having his lips/mouth on the guys neck would exist if he done either?

Alex28

Coach
LeagueLegend said:
The media may not have it (yet?), but the club has commented they have been told what is on the tape.
There is a fair difference between "clearing him from videotape" and "being told what is on the tape".

And funnily enough now we have this...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/panthers-seek-video-to-clear-gower/2007/02/13/1171128973645.html
PENRITH general manager Mick Leary was last night trying to contact the management of the Peppermint Lounge nightclub, with the aim of viewing security camera footage of an incident involving Panthers star Craig Gower.

Panthers coach Matthew Elliott said on Monday that someone had viewed the CCTV footage on behalf of the club but they were not involved in any official capacity with Penrith.

Why don't we wait for Penrith to actually see the video and make a decision?

TITAN1 said:
Would you be carrying on like this if it was the great joey johns?:roll:
Champ - don't pretend to know what I would say just because I am a Knights fan. If Joey carried on like this I would want the club to actually do something about it (however I fear they would sweep it under the carpet like Penrith have done in this case). Don't label all Knights fans the same way...

How is one comment against Gower "carrying on" any way?

It is only a matter of time until a Titans player acts like a dickhead on the coast - I'll be sure to check for your reaction...

gunnamatta bay

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
the other incidents wern't even fights , the first time he exposed himself the second time he gropped a girl.

Are you referring to the Sunshine Coast golf day incident? If so there was a lot more to it. The guy is fortunate he did not face serious charges and should have considered himself very lucky on that score but he acted like a petulant brat when the club fined him and stripped him of the captain ship.

But that has nothing to do with this incident which needs to be investigated and judged on it's on merits.

Willow said:
Interesting article here:

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=12790

EA, you might even agree with Jeff Wall this time. lol

NEVER!!!

mwaaahhhahahaha.

Actually, Jeff is spot on this time.

I think Gowie is a bit of a dead loss as far as this type of thing goes. Anyone stupid enough to be out at a club/pub at that time with his history is probably past help.

Either give him a minder of piss him off to Union.

Dave Q

Coach
The media got stuck into Wes over at Saints, I wonder what will they do to Gower?

Its the grog, and Gowie, well he just cant handle it.

He needs help.

gunnamatta bay said:
Are you referring to the Sunshine Coast golf day incident? If so there was a lot more to it. The guy is fortunate he did not face serious charges and should have considered himself very lucky on that score but he acted like a petulant brat when the club fined him and stripped him of the captain ship.

But that has nothing to do with this incident which needs to be investigated and judged on it's on merits.

Im not saying what he did was acceptable i was simply pointing out that it wasnt a fight. B/c a previous post said he kept getting in 'fights'.

imasharkie

Coach
DAVID PEACHEY
FULLBACK,....UTILITY,....HERO.

DaveQ.
I amy not agree with some things you have to say, but I wholly agree on that statement from you.
I hope the Peach has another exceptional year for Souths.
The number 1 reason why I loathed Stuart Raper was because of the way he treated David Peachey(an immortal for Cronulla & IMO would be 1st picked in any greatest team of the Sharks) and Nathan Merritt. I never miss a Souths game on tv so I can watch these two fantastic players ply their trade.
Another reason for loathing Raper was he was a crap coach.

Dave Q

Coach
imasharkie said:
DaveQ.
I amy not agree with some things you have to say, but I wholly agree on that statement from you.
I hope the Peach has another exceptional year for Souths.
The number 1 reason why I loathed Stuart Raper was because of the way he treated David Peachey(an immortal for Cronulla & IMO would be 1st picked in any greatest team of the Sharks) and Nathan Merritt. I never miss a Souths game on tv so I can watch these two fantastic players ply their trade.
Another reason for loathing Raper was he was a crap coach.

Thanks imasharkie.

We can call it a truce for a while I suppose.

I dont hate Raper, I just got annoyed when he used his kids in the Sunday papers to get sympathy.

I met the Peach when he played for Cronulla.

On the basis of that limited experience, he is one of the nicest people Ive ever met in my life and I am looking forward to meeting him again.

mightypanther

Juniors
All I can say is......I hope once Panthers release this information to the press, that it spells the end of this crap for good.

btw.......for those who may not know......Rob Weaver is the Media Manager for the Penrith Panthers, and he is referring to the CCTV video that had previously not been seen by an actual Penrith Panthers official.

http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/Topic38509-18-2.aspx

Rob Weaver
Posted Today @ 10:37:27 AM

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 2:33:29 PM
Pete is correct. We do not own the copyright to the video so could not release it to anyone. I have now seen it for myself and it supports Craig's version of events.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I belong - to a team and a place called Panthers

ozbash

Referee
mightypanther said:
All I can say is......I hope once Panthers release this information to the press, that it spells the end of this crap for good.

btw.......for those who may not know......Rob Weaver is the Media Manager for the Penrith Panthers, and he is referring to the CCTV video that had previously not been seen by an actual Penrith Panthers official.

http://www.panthers.com.au/Forum/Topic38509-18-2.aspx

so if rob says gowers in the clear, gowers in the clear ?

i smell a cover up.:?

ozbash

Referee
when the panthers release it to the public, i,ll let you know what i think......

oh, hang on.. its protected by copyright and is gone for ever.

guess i,ll just have to take robs word for it...

wont i ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
ozbash said:
when the panthers release it to the public, i,ll let you know what i think......

oh, hang on.. its protected by copyright and is gone for ever.

guess i,ll just have to take robs word for it...

wont i ?

why don't you ring the nightclub and demand they send it to you

Notell

Juniors
El Diablo said:
why don't you ring the nightclub and demand they send it to you

It does seem apparent that rugby league sure gets the raw end of the stick when it comes to publicity. But at the end of the day, what is the big deal? What exactly is the problem with that? Not one fan of league gets turned off the game because of the bad publicity. Potential fans turned off? Most fans becaome fans as kids, and not many 7 or 8 year olds are going to say that they are not going to become a new fan because of such incidents. Their parents might have a say in it, but I daresay that the parents are either locked in as league fans or not already one way or the other.

It is so ironic to see a lot of people here howling about the damage to the game's reputation, when the reality is that if the new fans they so crave came and posted here, they would be the ones abusing them for their lack of knowledge on the game.

Bad publicity does not dwindle the numbers of current fans or potential fans, and that being the case, does not affect sponsorship.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Notell said:
Bad publicity does not dwindle the numbers of current fans or potential fans, and that being the case, does not affect sponsorship.

I'm sure some clubs would beg to differ. There have been a few please explains from sponsors over the years regarding bad publicity throughout times of bad publicity.