What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower in Fight

Notell

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
how the f**k would you know that? according to reports gower was there with mates , when you have friends there backing you up usually you feel 10 feet tall. Not too mention gower is one of the toughest and strongest players in the halves in the NRL.

lets face it , he showed good judgment by not getting involved in a fight.

According to the report, he was holdng his hands in front of his face saying he didn't want to fight. That was after the pushing and the shoving. Acting tough then backing down like that is what I base my opinion on.

Roosters_187

Juniors
Notell said:
According to the report, he was holdng his hands in front of his face saying he didn't want to fight. That was after the pushing and the shoving. Acting tough then backing down like that is what I base my opinion on.

According to reports the loch ness monster, yetis, fairies, big foot and heaps of other bullsh*t are real so according to reports means jack sh*t. Unless you were there or have seen footage you cant speculate.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Gower’s new coach, Matthew Elliott complains in today’s “Daily Telegraph” that if he had been a doctor, school teacher or brickie nothing would have been heard of the incident.

or an AFL player

He’s a highly paid, high profile sportsman. Like it or not, public scrutiny, accurate or otherwise, goes with the territory……………and that is NOT going to change!

unless you're an AFL player.

Notell

Juniors
Roosters_187 said:
According to reports the loch ness monster, yetis, fairies, big foot and heaps of other bullsh*t are real so according to reports means jack sh*t. Unless you were there or have seen footage you cant speculate.

The report directly quoted his friend.

If you want to discount all reports, then Gower was not even in the Peppermint Lounge.

I'd be interested to hear you sprout your opinion of not believing anything unless you are there or have seen footage to the millions of Christians in the world. Make sure you tell the Pope that he knows jack sh*t since he is basing his beliefs on reports alone too.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sadly, if high profile sportpersons elect to exercise their right to enjoy priviledges the rest of us take for granted they will always run the risk of being targetted by undesireables while in public, particularly, when in licenced premises.

I sincerely hope Craig Gower is a victim of circumstances and has not committed the misdemeanour as have been alleged in this latest incident.

If he is guilty of anything it is probably being human, and a significant proportion of the us have been guilty of making mistakes or fallen foul of the demon drink.

Unfortunately, reagrdless of the fact's, Craig's profile and prior convictions, has meant he has already been found guilty by many in relation to this latest incident.

I am surpised, considering the sensational nature of what he was alleged to have done, there has not been further corroboration in recent days?

Alex28

Coach
He mightn't have thrown any punches first, but he may very well have provoked it none the less:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/h...s-on-the-kisser/2007/02/12/1171128898562.html
"Everybody was embarrassed. The girl was looking at me with a concerned, uneasy look. Then Craig grabbed the guy tightly around the neck in a very passionate embrace and kissed him … around the back of his neck where his shoulder is. I didn't see him bite the guy [as the man alleged]. The guy pushed Craig and Craig pushed him back, and then the guy has just gone to town on him and hit him in the face five or six times. I remember seeing this look of fear in Craig's eyes, then he turned on his heels and ran from the club.

"After the fight I asked the girl what happened and she said, 'He [Gower] hit on me'."

The woman's boyfriend claims he punched Gower after the footballer kissed and then bit him on the neck. He was unhappy because Gower allegedly told his girlfriend: "I want to f--- you." According to the man, Gower then turned to him and said, "I want to f--- your girl", before lifting up his shirt and rubbing his chest suggestively to the woman.

Craig...seriously...have you not seen your missus? Why the hell do you want to be cracking on to other women?

He has some pretty serious alcohol problems, and while Penrith keeps letting him get away with it he'll keep having these problems.

Notell

Juniors
Alex28 said:
He mightn't have thrown any punches first, but he may very well have provoked it none the less:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/how-a-nibble-on-mans-neck-earned-boozy-craig-a-bunch-of-fives-on-the-kisser/2007/02/12/1171128898562.html

Craig...seriously...have you not seen your missus? Why the hell do you want to be cracking on to other women?

He has some pretty serious alcohol problems, and while Penrith keeps letting him get away with it he'll keep having these problems.

Alcohol is just one of his problems. Alcohol does not make people bad. It releases what is always inside of them ie it releases inhibitions. That is why there are "nasty" drunks and "happy" drunks. He is an a##hole plain and simple.

Kilkenny

Coach
Craig may well have issues with alcohol. He is not the only footballer or sportsperson with the same issues. We are extremely naive if we believe only Gower, Seymour, Latu and the other high profile players who have come under notice in recent seasons are the only players who have been involved in unsavoury incidents. They are the ones whose alleged indiscretions have become public knowledge. There are many other incidents that for various reasons do not become public knowledge. I do not say this in defence of Gower but it is a fact. Many more incidents go unreported and therefore are not subject of the same level of scrutiny. They like the rest of us are human and are fallible.

Notell

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
Craig may well have issues with alcohol. He is not the only footballer or sportsperson with the same issues. We are extremely naive if we believe only Gower, Seymour, Latu and the other high profile players who have come under notice in recent seasons are the only players who have been involved in unsavoury incidents. They are the ones whose alleged indiscretions have become public knowledge. There are many other incidents that for various reasons do not become public knowledge. I do not say this in defence of Gower but it is a fact. Many more incidents go unreported and therefore are not subject of the same level of scrutiny. They like the rest of us are human and are fallible.

Being high profile is unfortunate that the actions are more widely known. It does not however excuse them at all. It is unfortunate for him that so many people know what type of person he is, but it does not make the behaviour any less distasteful.

mxlegend99

Referee
Alex28 said:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/h...s-on-the-kisser/2007/02/12/1171128898562.html

It's just another BS news story.

The club cleared him using the footage from the night itself. Newspapers are making up stories to make Gower/Panthers look bad.

Rob Weaver from Panthers Interactive said:
It has been a most interesting day. The depth of media interest in the situation has been almost as deep as the water lying on the training field after the rain of the last 24 hours.

A reasonable state of events, really - after all there's not much else happening in the rugby league world at this moment.

But one thing that did disturb me. After tonight's round of television news, a reporter to whom Gower chose not to speak, called up to say that if that was the way things were going to be, we should not expect "sympathetic coverage in the future, and we will follow up on the story."

"Your story tonight was not exactly sympathetic," I responded, just before hanging up.

So, dear reader, in case you believe that everyone in the media always tells it like it is, and nobody is never influenced by personal interest, let me disabuse you ...

Do you guys beleive everything you read in the newspapers? Gower had already been cleared of what he was alleged to have done, now they're changing the story :roll:

The fact is that Gower is a high profile person, he was out drinking and enjoying himself... and someone else at a club had a problem with him for one reason or another and started punching into him. Gower left the club rather then throwing punches back.

That story wouldn't really go aswell as if they said he kissed the guy or bit him though.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
And do you believe everything a club CEO or official feeds you? Cleared by who? Cleared by the Panthers....Yes. Very credible.

Just as no-one can say he's guilty - you can't say he's innocent - based on the facts we (as in the general public) have so far...but given his track record in this department - he was ALWAYS going to be judged guilty by most. He's indiscretions in the past in this area mean that, unfortunately for him, he has to prove he's NOT guilty...not the other way round I'm afraid.

The stories last year of him sauntering round a golf resort buck naked & chasing Mitchell Pearce round a bar with a bottle trying to brain him were pretty damn wacky too!...But turned out to be true.

Unfortunately, the guy's a loose cannon when he gets on the cans - ANYTHING is possible.

Kilkenny

Coach
Let's make one thing absolutely clear.

If Craig Gower is guilty of the alleged indiscretions, then he has no one else to blame but himself. No question.

The issue is one of trial by media, where clearly, there is some doubt about the alleged indiscretions when the media on occasion choose to guild the lilly so to speak!

Craig Gower deserves some benefit on any doubt as should be afforded to any high profile player who finds themselves in a similar predicament, and there have been quite a few in recent times.

mxlegend99

Referee
B.A. Baracus said:
And do you believe everything a club CEO or official feeds you? Cleared by who? Cleared by the Panthers....Yes. Very credible.
More credible then several newspapers with conflicting stories, all of whom have changed the story each time they print something. Panthers might not make very serious consequences for Craig, but they do take action. They saw the tape, and were comfortable that Craig did nothing wrong.

I would of thought the fact all the newspapers conflict each other, and that their stories and events have changed would strengthen Gowers version of events that numerous people have backed up. His story is the only one that has more then one witness, and hasn't changed several times.

B.A. Baracus said:
He's indiscretions in the past in this area mean that, unfortunately for him, he has to prove he's NOT guilty...not the other way round I'm afraid.
So you do something wrong, and every future thing you're accused of, you're also guilty of?

I hope Panthers and Gower do take legal action. Since the medias word is enough to convict people these days.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Willow said:
IMO, its only a matter of time before clubs or the NRL decide to move against dodgy reports. There have been grumblings already. Whether or not it'd make a difference is open to debate.

An opinion the NRL and clubs share at various stages during media coverage. There has been talk of the clubs asking the NRL to go to the media outlets to "flush out" the baddies, however they in fact may do more harm than good.

The problem - you refuse to talk to one or more journos and all they do is either find more "hurtful" bad press because they have their nose out of joint (ala Danny Weidler) or they don't cover you at all. The issue with no coverage is that through the good times they don't cover you and then that impacts across varies levels of the club. All clubs want to boast they are the most covered in the media and as a result trumpet that to sponsors who pay money to be associated with the frequent coverage. No or little coverage doesn't look favourable in your sponsors eyes whih impacts on revenue. You take league out of the papers and the journo's will fill it with other sports which in turn affects the game as a whole.

B.A. Baracus

Juniors
Mate, I hope he is innocent of this.....crap. I really do! I am a Rugby League fan as much as anything else - and the game does NOT need this!

But his track record ain't good, so if I can believe that someone was gonna sink a skinful - then go give a bloke a sloppy one and a bit of a nibble - then unfortunately for him - it'd be Gower.

Alex28

Coach
mxlegend99 said:
It's just another BS news story.

The club cleared him using the footage from the night itself. Newspapers are making up stories to make Gower/Panthers look bad.
The media is reporting they don't have access to the CCTV footage. Got a source to say they have?

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Alex28 said:
The media is reporting they don't have access to the CCTV footage. Got a source to say they have?

The media may not have it (yet?), but the club has commented they have been told what is on the tape.

TITAN1

Juniors
Alex28 said:
Would you be carrying on like this if it was the great joey johns?:roll:

bear56

Juniors
if the same attention was on the behaviour of journalists,they would be squealing about invasion of privacy.Leave the guy alone.