What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRAND FINAL: Parramatta v Penrith GAME DAY THREAD at Accor 2/10/22

hindy111

Post Whore
What's your top5

Gee that's hard mate as my memory isn't that good. And it should only be finals games or games that meant a lot.
I'd have to say our win last week is in there. That was a great game.
One game I recall in 2000 that we lost but was such a performance was to get in the grand final. It was our baby eels up against Brisbane. They went down 16-10 but it was a brilliant game. How they got so close.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Gee that's hard mate as my memory isn't that good. And it should only be finals games or games that meant a lot.
I'd have to say our win last week is in there. That was a great game.
One game I recall in 2000 that we lost but was such a performance was to get in the grand final. It was our baby eels up against Brisbane. They went down 16-10 but it was a brilliant game. How they got so close.
Well I reckon last week in Townsville was the toughest win I have seen in my life.

Considering the adversity they had to overcome with conditions, crowd, travel, possession, goaline defence.

I reckon the two you mentioned in 2009 finals were special as well. Definitely in my top 3.

Underrated win for mine that is sort of forgotten was 2007 finals win over in NZ against Warriors. We spent 10 mins straight defending when we were down 4-0 then we won 12-10.

Bandwagon

Staff member
In 2022 compared to 2009

We won more games
We had better points differential
We had an established set of halves
We were never outside of the Top 8 at any stage
We beat the eventual premiers twice
We had a more balanced squad
We had more rep players

You can’t be coming 14th after 18 rounds and be considered a truly great side. What the f**k were those guys doing for the first 4 months on the comp.

Building.

Then in 2010 they unbuilded so they could build again, and then some merkin lost the plans and no merkin knew what to do.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I think a some of our issues in 2010 were also due to the senior players not believing in themselves.

I recall every season we played with hindy he would always say on tv shows about accepting a slow start to every season like it was acceptable.

So we were always on the back foot.

Hindmarsh is our one true warrior since 1986 but at the same time I feel like watching him on Fox and how negative he can quickly get whenever things are looking rosy he was apart of the problem in big games.

I imagine he had the same mindset when playing. And while it wasn't intentional just always worrying about failing can spread into the group when your a senior player.

Instead of the mindset we will be winning this game.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Stability is an underrated commodity.

True.

There's a point though when stability only takes you so far, shit gets stale and merkins get to comfortable. You then want pressure, you want the new kid on the block driving performance, you want to refresh.

The hard part is recognising the when and the by how much.

For my part I don't think we're there yet, but next year will be telling. We either get comfortable with almost there, or we push harder because almost isn't good enough.

If the former, we need to refresh. But we also need to recognise we have got to here because we stuck with what has got us here.

Like everything in life there is balance, and it's f**king hard as f**k to get right.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think a some of our issues in 2010 were also due to the senior players not believing in themselves.

I recall every season we played with hindy he would always say on tv shows about accepting a slow start to every season like it was acceptable.

So we were always on the back foot.

Hindmarsh is our one true warrior since 1986 but at the same time I feel like watching him on Fox and how negative he can quickly get whenever things are looking rosy he was apart of the problem in big games.

I imagine he had the same mindset when playing. And while it wasn't intentional just always worrying about failing can spread into the group when your a senior player.

Instead of the mindset we will be winning this game.
There is no doubt that our leadership during that period was deplorable. It’s improved, but it’s still shit.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
True.

There's a point though when stability only takes you so far, shit gets stale and merkins get to comfortable. You then want pressure, you want the new kid on the block driving performance, you want to refresh.

The hard part is recognising the when and the by how much.

For my part I don't think we're there yet, but next year will be telling. We either get comfortable with almost there, or we push harder because almost isn't good enough.

If the former, we need to refresh. But we also need to recognise we have got to here because we stuck with what has got us here.

Like everything in life there is balance, and it's f**king hard as f**k to get right.
Of course it is. I’ll be disappointed if we extend BA at this point. I agree with you that 2023 is an important year.

Stability has been important in recent years but it definitely has limited currency without the ultimate success, even in the most stable of clubs.

I'm not all that hopeful. We seem to be a club that accepts upper level mediocrity. Winning a couple more finals games than usual might actually be bad in the long run. There's a leadership and character problem, and a coaching one, that in my mind makes it unlikely we'll win a title. Do the board want the ultimate prize badly enough or is close enough good enough? No way to know for sure but I feel the latter is more likely.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I'm not all that hopeful. We seem to be a club that accepts upper level mediocrity. Winning a couple more finals games than usual might actually be bad in the long run. There's a leadership and character problem, and a coaching one, that in my mind makes it unlikely we'll win a title. Do the board want the ultimate prize badly enough or is close enough good enough? No way to know for sure but I feel the latter is more likely.
It's interesting seen some comments that the players didn't look as devastated as previous teams who lose grand finals and did the loss hurt them enough.

Now I didn't watch the post game as I was too devastated to see Penrith carry on and celebrate.

So I can't really judge I assume they are hurting and just didn't want there emotions to boil over on national television as you become memes these days when you cry in public.

Chipmunk

Coach
The board want the club to be responsible corporately. Not sure they're that fussed about results, particularly as long as it doesn't lead to any positive or negative impacts financially.

It's interesting seen some comments that the players didn't look as devastated as previous teams who lose grand finals and did the loss hurt them enough.

Now I didn't watch the post game as I was too devastated to see Penrith carry on and celebrate.

So I can't really judge I assume they are hurting and just didn't want there emotions to boil over on national television as you become memes these days when you cry in public.
I don't even know if I made it to the end or passed out drunk so can't comment on that. But it's more of an overall assessment. The salary cap shit made massive changes and most would seem beneficial but maybe not all. We might be a more stable club, more financially responsible, but ultimately less focused on winning the title.