What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Theft Auto IV

Blind Freddy

Juniors
How damn good is this game. Soo many great little quirks and details they've included that add together to make it the awesomeness it is. Like the navman in the car to direct you, getting drunk, little things the pedestrians say that are a crack up. The TV stations, etc.

I accidently pushed one guy while out with that michelle chick and after that he just kept following us staring at Niko, not shaping up to fight but he just wouldn't leave and trash talking so i stabbed him to death after getting sick of him :lol:

Brilliant game!

I watched my son play it for an hour last night, the radio shows are a cack, especially the judge "You sh*t in her air freshener"?...

Quality game.

How damn good is this game. Soo many great little quirks and details they've included that add together to make it the awesomeness it is. Like the navman in the car to direct you, getting drunk, little things the pedestrians say that are a crack up. The TV stations, etc.

I accidently pushed one guy while out with that michelle chick and after that he just kept following us staring at Niko, not shaping up to fight but he just wouldn't leave and trash talking so i stabbed him to death after getting sick of him :lol:

Brilliant game!

As you do...

just a question.

Theres a radio show where theres a british guy talking about how americans built mobility vehicles so as to cut out the actual movement of walking. i swear its ricky gervais. is it? anyone help?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
just a question.

Theres a radio show where theres a british guy talking about how americans built mobility vehicles so as to cut out the actual movement of walking. i swear its ricky gervais. is it? anyone help?

Gervais also has a role in the video game Grand Theft Auto IV, as himself, appearing in his role as a comedian in a comedy club, and as an interviewee on radio station We Know The Truth. For this, a special 3-minute act was written, recorded and fully motion-captured.

Don't ask me where the comedy club is though, but I did see Katt Williams on a stand up TV show in the game so maybe it's just on TV.

Eelementary

Post Whore
OMG...I love Ricky Gervais!

Still waiting on my copy though lol. But hey - I love www.gpstore.co.nz so even though it's taking a little longer to get to me, I will appreciate it even more when it does arrive.

if i have 1 gripe..and it may be my TV,

its that i can never see the screen on the mobile phone. its f**king annoying. i have to spin the camera around until i can barely read it.

anyone else have this problem?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
So I've beaten the story including all side-missions (except for a few Assassin missions given to you by public telephone, they don't have any story to them though).

Even if I wanted to spoil the ending, I couldn't, there are definitely alternate endings based on the decisions you make during the game. When my uncensored version arrives from Play-Asia I'll be playing through again. I will say though, the ending I got left me with more questions than answers.

I have to hand it to Rockstar with the story, after the first 3 games I fancied my chances of calling the plot twists, but nope, was caught off-guard with every single one. The characters were excellent, I f**king love Brucie (especially when he calls you up to go out for a drink, "NICKY!! IT'S BRUCIE BABY!!") and even those Jamaican boys were easy to take seriously.

Hat's off to Rockstar, the best game I've ever played and definitely a great reason for anyone holding off on buying a new console to make the jump.

MC DUI

Juniors
So I've beaten the story including all side-missions (except for a few Assassin missions given to you by public telephone, they don't have any story to them though).

Even if I wanted to spoil the ending, I couldn't, there are definitely alternate endings based on the decisions you make during the game. When my uncensored version arrives from Play-Asia I'll be playing through again. I will say though, the ending I got left me with more questions than answers.

I have to hand it to Rockstar with the story, after the first 3 games I fancied my chances of calling the plot twists, but nope, was caught off-guard with every single one. The characters were excellent, I f**king love Brucie (especially when he calls you up to go out for a drink, "NICKY!! IT'S BRUCIE BABY!!") and even those Jamaican boys were easy to take seriously.

Hat's off to Rockstar, the best game I've ever played and definitely a great reason for anyone holding off on buying a new console to make the jump.

Sounds awesome Parra!

I'm still on the first island... :crazy:

You'll have to let us know what you think the differences are between the censored and uncensored versions. :cool:

Dragon

Coach
Russ, you can change the font size of your mobile in the phone options.

Brucie is my fav character after Niko, so farkin funny.

ParraDude, did the last missions get ridiculously tough like past GTA's? Im 50% through and dont want to get stuck like i have on some missions in past games.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Russ, you can change the font size of your mobile in the phone options.

Brucie is my fav character after Niko, so farkin funny.

ParraDude, did the last missions get ridiculously tough like past GTA's? Im 50% through and dont want to get stuck like i have on some missions in past games.

Nah mate, actually it was probably the easiest GTA of them all, at least for me, I think I failed 8 missions and a few were from dumb sh*t like flipping my boat or firing my rocket launcher into the truck I was hiding behind.

The hardest missions for me were the ones where you have to evade the cops because I am sh*t at losing them. Just as you get outside their search area another one turns up in front of you and you're running again.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So dumb question, but...Is this the best GTA of all time in your eyes?

Everyone I speak to says - YES!!!

Also - can you customise Niko like you could with CJ? ie: take him to the gym, get him new clothes to look pimpin', etc.

I'm sorry for the lame ass questions - just can't wait to play it.

cupid

Juniors
So dumb question, but...Is this the best GTA of all time in your eyes?

Everyone I speak to says - YES!!!

Also - can you customise Niko like you could with CJ? ie: take him to the gym, get him new clothes to look pimpin', etc.

I'm sorry for the lame ass questions - just can't wait to play it.
You can only but new clothes, th egym has been taken out, in my thoughts I hated the stat building. But GTA 4 is easily the best, it has so much depth and is really realisitc.

i have another major gripe.

i downloaded teh system update last night so i can play online.

so today i put it on. i start a mission and i shoot 2 guys then it freezes.

i turned the playstation off and started again. now it just gets to the credits part and the "loading - mission" screen.

do i have to start again? has anyone encountered this? do i need to delete my game file and restart?

i tried other ganmes and they all work. this is bullsh*t!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
My game got stuck on the loading - mission screen too but it came good with a re-load, only happened once.

Dunno if it helps, but Take-Two suggests this if the game is playing up:

Please run through the following, go through in order.
1) Delete the game's install data. This is done via the PS3 options. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Game Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, from the menu select Delete. This will delete the game's install information.
2) Delete the game's save files. To delete any save files you will need to do the following. Scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Game' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Save Data Utility' Enter this and locate the GTA IV option. Highlight this and press triangle once, and from the context menu select Delete.
3) Disable your Internet connectivity for the PS3. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Settings' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Network Settings'. Now scroll down to the Internet connection option and press x, now select the disable option. Once this has been done unplug the ethernet cable if you are connecting to the Internet if using this.
4) Disable the console's information board. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Information Board', highlight this and press triangle. From the menu select 'Do not display' Press X to confirm this.
5) Disable Media Server functionality. Scroll to Settings, now scroll up / down to 'Network Settings' select Media Server connection. Once this has been done press triangle and change the option Disabled.
6) Delete all of the system's Internet cache. To do this scroll along the cross media bar until you reach the 'Network' tab, now scroll up / down the list until you reach the 'Internet Browser', highlight this and press X. Once you browser opens press the triangle button once, from the new menu highlight the 'Tools' option and press X. Scroll down the menu until you reach 'Delete Cookies' and press X. Confirm the files deletion. Repeat this for 'Delete Cache'.
7 ) Turn off the PS3 screen saver. Use the cross media bar to scroll to 'Settings', select 'Display Settings'. Now highlight 'Screensaver' and set this to 'Do not use'.
8 ) Once this has been done, manually restart you PS3 by holding down the power button for 5 seconds it will beep once and then shut down. Release the power button and re-press it and hold for about 5 seconds. The system will then boot and reset all display settings. You will be prompted to reset your display settings to how you require them.
9) Once restarted please try the game again, you will be prompted to reinstall.
Once the game has started please turn off the following features:
1) The game's auto-save. Press Start, Game, and locate the Auto-save option. Turn this off.
2) Turn off the game's flicker filter. Press Start, Display and locate the Flicker Filter option. Turn this off.
3) Turn off the controller vibration feature. Press Start, Controls and locate the vibration option. Turn this off.

Dragon

Coach
Easily the best GTA imo. At first i thought it was just another GTA, seen it all before. I thought it lacked its own 'vibe' because my fav was vice city, and that game had a great atmosphere. But the more i play, the better it gets. The side missions are really fun compared to older GTA's. The police missions, assassin missions, stranger missions, car deliveries etc all help break up the story.

It really raises the bar for every other sandbox game. Heck even games like the sims should be aiming for a virtual world like this.