What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Theft Auto IV

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
look if you shoot the guy 1 on 1..he stays down for ages...

But in a massive shootout, just watch random guys getting up and walking away.

What do i gain from lying?

DeeGan

Bench
If you bash them up with fists they don't die, guns still kill and so do cars, explosions etc. but I bashed the sh*t out of some guy (who was protecting a lady; in fairness, she flipped me off) and he dropped his cash so I thought he was dead but Niko said something like "be grateful I don't finish you off" and he got up and ran away.

I could be wrong though, maybe I just needed to stomp him while he was down or something. I doubt this was what was cut, surely IGN would have noticed this. I have already seen a pretty impressive blood splatter, so if that got through I doubt killing pedestrians would matter.

I couldn't get a hooker into my car, she just stood their flaunting passers by but didn't even look in my direction when I honked the horn. That's the only unusual thing I've seen so far.

But don't let any of this crap put you off; this game is f**king AMAZING. It's so realistic, the way the NPCs interact with you and eachother. Some guy assaulted me, and the cops saw him and pulled their guns on him, he did a runner and they started shooting, as soon as the bullets released all the pedestrians started screaming and running, people in cars jumped out and ran for their lives and some sped off.

The physics are ridiculously good, you can't just run out in front of cars now because the cars react realistically and can't stop that suddenly, so they'll hit you and depending on speed, angle etc. Niko reacts differently to every hit.

You can watch television, and the shows are hilarious. They air ads, I won't spoil them because they are funny but I will say the political ads for the upcoming election in Liberty were a highlight for me.

The phone is a brilliant feature, takes a bit of getting used to but it's definitely a huge positive and a reflection on life in the modern times.

There are HEAPS of Radio stations, too many to really have an opinion on after a few hours. I did hear a Queen song (One Vision) which was a highlight so far, but I've just been in awe of the whole game that it's been hard to even hear the radio.

It's just so detailed, I honestly can't find fault with it. From catching a taxi, a sub mission that was caused by me not taking a phone call seriously enough, the way all mission failures are put into the story instead of just "Mission Failed" like in previous games, the excellent cover system, the moral choices that can affect the outcome (I could go on all day).

Perfect game. Oh and the lockbox in the special edition is a pretty good one, very solid metal, pussy little keys but they do the job. A good crowbar could probably get it open but it's pretty solid for the price.

Thanks for taking the time for such a details first hand review mate ;-)

I picked up my pre-ordered PS3 version tonight though won't be playing it until the weekend where I will have a GTAIV weekend mixed with the Titans vs Knights match :D

Personally, I am really excited about the interaction. From what I read, it sounds as if you could just browse around for hours upon hours such is the detail, interaction and places to explore!! I can't wait. The missions I will get in to, first up, I will do some exploring.

Jay, post anything else that intrigues you too if you don't mind - I for one would look forward to reading :cool:

DeeGan

Bench
Which do you think i should buy?
Which is better value and has other good games?

Not to do a Timmah, but I will as it will help you out, there are a couple of threads in this forum re: the question you pose ;-)

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Such a wonderful game, I'd like to know what us Aussies and NZ'ers have really missed out on. I get the feeling it's more than has been mentioned.

This isn't available on PS2 is it?

What console should i buy?

Not for PS2, Not meaning to start a sh*tfight inside this thread with Xbox 360 fans, but get the PS3 it's the more superior machine.....Free online too. But the 360 version of the game will have a few extras.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Which do you think i should buy?
Which is better value and has other good games?

X-Box version has downloable content like extra missions; PS3 doesn't (although it does have DLC).

X-Box games like Halo, etc; PS3 like Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid 4 (when it comes out), etc.

Personally I'd go a PS3.

Samwise

Bench
Picked this game up last night. Only played for an hour or so, so far but things that had me giggling - high speed head on collisions when you or the person you smash into comes flying through the front windscreen. Also nicked one car, when the passenger was jumping out their watch got caught on the door. I dragged them for about 3 blocks before pulling a handbrakey and sending them flying into a bus stop.

its fantastic.

although i was struggling using the sixxaxis controller with the helicopter. no good.

i think it will take me a while to work out the controls.

bulldog

Bench
Anyone else heard the segment on one of the talkback stations bagging Aussies, I missed most of it laughing my arse off.

I also hear the extra 360 content will be on the scale of an entire city.

Special K

Coach
great game! I keep finding myself wondering off doing pointless things like always. How funny is the cousin lol

weird how you can have sex with your girlfriend and not a lady of the night?

Jono078

Referee
its fantastic.

although i was struggling using the sixxaxis controller with the helicopter. no good.

i think it will take me a while to work out the controls.

I take it you done the SIXAXIS tutorial? That is nothing, SIXAXIS is optional, so when you get into the real helicopter stuff you dont need to use it.

MC DUI

Juniors
I played it for around 3 hours last night, still getting used to the controls...

Anybody found side missions yet? I ended up just playing story missions/dating missons, I wandered around a bit but didn't find that much to do?

bulldog

Bench
I played it for around 3 hours last night, still getting used to the controls...

Anybody found side missions yet? I ended up just playing story missions/dating missons, I wandered around a bit but didn't find that much to do?

Yeah I kept looking for the icons to start some sort of side mission or challenge, shot a pigeon sitting on top of a roof and it popped up 99 of 100 flying vermin left or something like that - but that's it so far.

I absolutely love the phsyics in the game, the damage on the cars and scenery is awesome and I'm blown away by what they've managed to squeeze out of both consoles, hope they push out a PC version later in the year.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah I kept looking for the icons to start some sort of side mission or challenge, shot a pigeon sitting on top of a roof and it popped up 99 of 100 flying vermin left or something like that - but that's it so far.

I absolutely love the phsyics in the game, the damage on the cars and scenery is awesome and I'm blown away by what they've managed to squeeze out of both consoles, hope they push out a PC version later in the year.

Ah so youre supposed to shoot the pigeons! Nothing happend when I walked over them, there is one on top of the roller coaster ride.

As for side missions, there is this one icon that pops up on the map that looks like a little blue stick figure, the first time the dude gave me $100 for free second time you do a lil easy mission for him.

MC DUI

Juniors
Ah so that's what you have to do with the pigeons, I found a glowing orange pigeon lying on the beach and I tried everything to collect it or kick it but I didn't try shooting it.

Latest posts