What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great night to pick your NSW side

edabomb

First Grade
Hayne
morris
Idris
Gaz
Carney
pearce
Gal
Creagh
Lewis/Bird
Snowden
Farrah
Weyman

Tll
Mannah
Scott
Gidley/ Soward /Mullen

I agree with only name 12 in the starting lineup bit. Go into game one with a bit of 'tude.

StMick

Bench
Fair dinkum, who would take that rot seriously last night (city v country)? It was at least 3 standards down from your average NRL game.

St George Illawarra have been the best side in the league for around 3 years and deserve at least 5 to 6 players in the origin side, minus Soward if he's injured.

PS You talk about Mullins - what about the Beau Champion try when Mullins wouldn't put his body on the line, basically jumped on his back on the way past and Champion carried him for 5m. Could you imagine the backlash if that was Jamie Soward?

from watching the City/Country and Test game I'd choose

1. Hayne (incumbent and good returns + individual play)
2. Gordon (kicker and good and solid)
3. Jennings
4. Idris (based on Aus representation only)
5. Uate (obviously)
6. Mullen (played more like a 5/8 imo)
7. Pearce (man of the match imo and should be a certain selection)
8. Snowden
9. Farah (cause Ennis sucks)
10. Tolman
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen (best backrow combo)

14. Gidley
15. Mannah
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Watmong

StMick

Bench
from watching the City/Country and Test game I'd choose

1. Hayne (incumbent and good returns + individual play)
2. Gordon (kicker and good and solid)
3. Jennings
4. Idris (based on Aus representation only)
5. Uate (obviously)
6. Mullen (played more like a 5/8 imo)
7. Pearce (man of the match imo and should be a certain selection)
8. Snowden
9. Farah (cause Ennis sucks)
10. Tolman
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen (best backrow combo)

14. Gidley
15. Mannah
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Watmong

Not one Dragons player. Methinks someone's still dirty after last year's grand-final.:lol:

j0nesy

Bench
Dugan
Morris
Gasnier
Idris
Uate
Soward (Mullen if injured)
Pearce
Snowden
Hinchcliffe
Tolman
Dwyer
Creagh
Gallen (c)

Gidley
Scott
Mannah
Learoyd-Lahrs

No you don't. 'Cos if you did,Gasnier, Soward, Scott, Creagh, Hunt and Merrin would be some of the first players you'd pick

Wouldn't pick Gasnier over Idris.
Mullen outplayed Soward in City Country.
Scott? You mean the nuffy backrower?
Creagh only played International cause Sheens hates Watmong, shouldn't keep him out of origin. Showed so much heart in past performances; Creagh has only shown us that he can run faster backwards.
and LOL at the last two

StMick

Bench
Creagh only played International cause Sheens hates Watmong, shouldn't keep him out of origin. Showed so much heart in past performances; Creagh has only shown us that he can run faster backwards.
and LOL at the last two

Gees, we're going alright for a team full of nuffys. But again, obviously you don't like the Dragons (which is fair enough after we shattered the fairytale last year). I'm pretty happy with all those nuffys, especially Beau Scott.

Just on Merrin and Hunt - you wish you had two front rowers half as good as those 2.

Gees, we're going alright for a team full of nuffys. But again, obviously you don't like the Dragons (which is fair enough after we shattered the fairytale last year). I'm pretty happy with all those nuffys, especially Beau Scott.

Just on Merrin and Hunt - you wish you had two front rowers half as good as those 2.

Wayne Bennett

j0nesy

Bench
and LOL at the last two

Soward only played half a game he was injured :lol: He'll play if fully fit.

Ant

Juniors
I think in some areas the nsw became pretty clear on Friday night.

1. Hayne
(hard call, but did enough we are blessed with two great fullbacks, I liked that Hayne seemed a little more urgent than he often seems for Parra)
2. Uate,
thats an easy pick, I doubt there is a nsw side picked by anyone that won't have his name. Speed and power.
3. Idris,
the test solved the equation for me, Idris at left centre, we have to have him. Hodges and Inglis for so long have been able to overpower out centres, Hodges will have his hands full this year.
4. Gasnier,
been going great and can beat a man.
5. Gordon,
hard call here, I just think Morris lacks the power needed for origin, he is a great finisher but doesn't do the grunt work as well. Dugan was an option but just unknown on the wing.
6. Soward,
I never thought I'd put his name down, I am generally in the warren ryan camp. But with our big centres I don't mind a half who gives nice early ball. Just in front of Mullen.
7. Pearce,
was great on Friday, tough and we need to stay solid in some areas.
8. Snowden,
still lacks a little speed, but he has genuine go forward.
9. Farrah,
we need some quality out of dummy half, I just wouldn't pick ennis difference having a big mouth and being origin tough.
10. Galloway,
thought he was great on Friday, he is a big man who is aggresive in defence and alwasy pushes through the front line.
11. Creagh,
going well, as good as any left backrower we have.
12. Dwyer,
the bolter, but whats not to like, plays right side, hits like a sledgehammer and runs great lines. I think he is the next great backrower.
13. Gallen,
easy pick, used to hate him, but just so consistent, captain.

14. Gidley is fit.
15. Scott, cover for right edge and can play centre so cover there.
16. Leoroyd-Lahrs,
was great on Friday just like Idris hard to handle, plus can come on for Creagh on left edge as well as up front.
17. Mannah,
a must, as Hindy said Friday thats the first time I have seen him go backwards when big tom hit him. Just pushes through the line so well and ultra fast play the ball.

If Gidley is not fit, one of 3 players for mine. Greg Bird, Dean Young or Dugan. With Scott we have cover for centres which means backline can shuffle meaning no need for another back to cover. Dean Young could start at hooker then play backrow later. Greg Bird is tough and I think could play some short mins at hooker to give Farrah a break then play backrow.
Dugan is different, he is an x factor to throw in fresh at fullback.

I truley think we can win this year, the new front rowers excite me. There are another 4 or 5, Tolmen is unlucky but the others were better Friday night. Merrin and Hunt good too.

Pazza

First Grade
Hayne
Uate
Gasnier
Idris
Morris
Soward
Mullen
Snowden
Farrah
TLL
Bird
Creagh
Gallen

Hinchcliffe
Mannah
Tolman
Dwyer

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
MY TEAM:

1. Hayne
2. Brett Morris (To me it seems pointless naming someone else, morris will be there)
3. Idris (As above, but he would be in my team somewhere anyway)
4. Gasnier
5. Gordon (50/50 between alot of guys, but the importance of goalkicking is there)
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Lewis
15. Weymann
16. Learoyd-Lahrs
17. Creagh

Id to pick Uate but from what ive seen of him under thw high ball QLD are too smart too do anything but kick perfectly weighted high balls at him all day.

Dugan id also strongly consider at 1 with Hayne on the wing.

If theres a problem with Idris playing left centre, then would have to go Jennings or Cooper.

Forwards are there with Mannah and Dwyer really the ones who are unlucky to miss out/ close to selection for game 2.

StMick

Bench
In all seriousness, Brett Morris will be the first winger picked for NSW and deservedly so. The facts are, he's not playing quite as badly as people are making out he is. Ok, he's not scoring his try-a-game at the moment but that's got more to do with the way the Dragons are playing than him. The Dragons are going more to the right this year and Cooper and Boyd have scored a heap of trys inside him this year.

He's still a great kick-returner. He and Nightingale are great dummy-half runners and always get the Dragons set off to a good start coming off the line. Defensively, there's no better winger in the game. He made one big blunder against Cronulla dropping a bomb in the wet but I can't remember too many others. He has been very safe at the back for the Dragons for over 3 years now.

So with Morris taking up one wing, it leaves Uate and Gordon to fight for the other one. I think it'll depend on what they do with Jamie Soward. If they want Uate in the side they have to pick Soward for his goal kicking. If they don't pick Soward they have to pick Gordon for his goal kicking. You need a top-line goal kicker in Origin.

But really, Gordon should be the first fullback picked for NSW. He has been by far and away the in-form fullback for NSW this year. But NSW will do what NSW will do and pick the glamor boy over the in-form player. Haynes hasn't played well since the end of 2009.

Chook Norris

First Grade
I just don't think i've seen B.Morris ever perform well at rep level. A great club player he may be but i've seen him screw up some tries off broken play at least a handful of times for NSW and Australia

Latest posts