What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great night to pick your NSW side

Gaba

First Grade
you look at the halfback for nsw , morris or any other back wont see the ball unless they play afl style

gronkathon

First Grade
I don't understand how Bird is an automatic selection in so many peoples teams.

His form for the Titans has been pretty average and he is not the ball runner he once was. Seems more interested in milking penalties and play making than the grind of forwards work.

Personally my side would be

1. Hayne (Incumbancy and just not sold on Dugans durability. Pretty close call though)
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier
4. Jennings
5. Uate

6. Mullen
7. Pearce (Sowards injury clouds the issue as I would have run Mullen & Soward but wait and see when he comes back)

8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. Heighington (High workrate, willing to do the ugly work)
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Hinchcliffe (Can play hooker, backrow or centre) Gidley will get the role when fit
15. Creagh or Idris (Strictly as an impact line running back rower
16. TLL
17. Galloway

goosie

Juniors

His form for the Titans has been pretty average and he is not the ball runner he once was. Seems more interested in milking penalties and play making than the grind of forwards work.

Personally my side would be

1. Hayne (Incumbancy and just not sold on Dugans durability. Pretty close call though)
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier
4. Jennings
5. Uate

6. Mullen
7. Pearce (Sowards injury clouds the issue as I would have run Mullen & Soward but wait and see when he comes back)

8. Snowden
9. Farah
10. Tolman
11. Heighington (High workrate, willing to do the ugly work)
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Hinchcliffe (Can play hooker, backrow or centre) Gidley will get the role when fit
15. Creagh or Idris (Strictly as an impact line running back rower
16. TLL
17. Galloway

good team but luke lewis in for watmough.

abpanther

Staff member
There are three guys that have proven themselves for NSW in the origin arena, they are Hayne, Bird and Watmough. Naming a side should start with these three guys IMO

timka4

Bench

He hasn't really been great at all for the titans over the past 2 years. But game 3 last year in origin he was fantastic with Gallen in the backrow

Pazza

First Grade
There are three guys that have proven themselves for NSW in the origin arena, they are Hayne, Bird and Watmough. Naming a side should start with these three guys IMO

Add Gallen and TLL to that list!

Mannah had an amazing ten minutes in game three, he made more of an impact than snowden in far less game time! For me Mannah is a must for a Nsw bench spot!!

Hutty1986

Immortal

Mannah had an amazing ten minutes in game three, he made more of an impact than snowden in far less game time! For me Mannah is a must for a Nsw bench spot!!

I'm hearing TLL is out of game one? Gone for 4 weeks, not sure what injury

1. J. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. B. Scott ( can play 3 or 11)
4. J. Idris
5. A. Uate
6. M. Gasnier ( can play 2,3,6)
7. J. Mullen
8. K. Snowden
9. R. Farah
10. M. Weyman
11. M. Minichello
12. B. Creagh
13. P. Gallen

14. G. Bird ( can play 6, 11 or 13 )
15. A Tolman
16. T. Mannah
17. A. Watmough

18. J. Dugan

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
yeah, i can pretty much name the team i'd like with absolute certainty now.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Gordon (gk)
4. Gasnier
5. Uate
6. Soward/Mullen if Soward unavailable
7. Mullen/Pearce if Soward unavailable
8. Snowden
9. Ennis - i was dead set against ever picking this little f**ker again... but wtf is with Farah? he's very much doing his best to unimpress me this year. has played himself out of my team... not Ennis playing himself into it. i don't consider Hinchcliffe a genuine option, i would almost stick Gidley here if fit. in fact, i would.
10. Tolman
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen (c)

14. TLL - played himself back into the team in CvC.
15. Mannah - phenom.
16. Watmough - must be picked, will lift for origin. play him off the bench to minimise time on the field, ergo costly penalties. get him to run like a man possessed for 30 minutes.
17. Gidley/Ennis i guess if a second hooker must be carried. the hooking role would be shared by those 2 for the series, though.

i think such a team will really trouble QLD. lots of creativity and toughness in the forwards, brilliant backs, and a set of halves that should be able to do the job this time. they look more likely than other combos we've had over the past few years, anyway. Idris, Morris twins, Creagh notable ommissions. the first 3 i just don't believe are as good as the options i've selected and Creagh is a f**king fairy.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
1. J. Hayne
2. B. Morris
3. B. Scott ( can play 3 or 11)
4. J. Idris
5. A. Uate
6. M. Gasnier ( can play 2,3,6)
7. J. Mullen
8. K. Snowden
9. R. Farah
10. M. Weyman
11. M. Minichello
12. B. Creagh
13. P. Gallen

14. G. Bird ( can play 6, 11 or 13 )
15. A Tolman
16. T. Mannah
17. A. Watmough

18. J. Dugan

You're not seriously advocating player Scott in the centres and Gasnier at 5/8 are you?

abpanther

Staff member

TLL has looked pretty good but I wouldn't put him up there with those other three.

I'm really torn with Gallen. On the one hand I love his toughness and physicality, he will make the hard yards when required and he is perfectly built for the Origin arena. The things I don't like about him is that he is ill-disciplined at key times and has shown this at the rep level, I also believe that he gets too involved at times, takes too many hit ups and actually becomes a hinderance in attack.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
9. Ennis - i was dead set against ever picking this little f**ker again... but wtf is with Farah? he's very much doing his best to unimpress me this year. has played himself out of my team... not Ennis playing himself into it. i don't consider Hinchcliffe a genuine option, i would almost stick Gidley here if fit. in fact, i would.

Really? Last couple of weeks he has been good IMO.

CvC he played well - it was clear from watching this match that Farah was playing just how Stuart wanted. Nothing flash, just good service out of dummy half, the occasional run, and most importantly he was heavily involved in all City's attacks. He also picked up the players' player award.

I think Farah's biggest issue is that he sometimes has a tendency to overplay his hand, but he showed no signs of this on Friday.

perverse

Referee
Really? Last couple of weeks he has been good IMO.

CvC he played well - it was clear from watching this match that Farah was playing just how Stuart wanted. Nothing flash, just good service out of dummy half, the occasional run, and most importantly he was heavily involved in all City's attacks. He also picked up the players' player award.

I think Farah's biggest issue is that he sometimes has a tendency to overplay his hand, but he showed no signs of this on Friday.
sure, he's had an ok game this year. if you can sit there and tell me he's having a good year then you're dead set off your tree. even if he did have a decent game in CvC, i still think he was outplayed by Hinchcliffe. Hinchcliffe ffs. he was opposing a far lesser player in CvC, in my opinion a massive opportunity to shine, and got shadowed.

being good is not good enough for origin. Ennis has been superb this year, waving his hand high in the air for the most part... and as much as i hate the little lollipoper, he is streets ahead of Farahs form at the moment. the best you could say about Farah this year is he has been adequate.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
sure, he's had an ok game this year. if you can sit there and tell me he's having a good year then you're dead set off your tree. even if he did have a decent game in CvC, i still think he was outplayed by Hinchcliffe. Hinchcliffe ffs. he was opposing a far lesser player in CvC, in my opinion a massive opportunity to shine, and got shadowed.

being good is not good enough for origin. Ennis has been superb this year, waving his hand high in the air for the most part... and as much as i hate the little lollipoper, he is streets ahead of Farahs form at the moment. the best you could say about Farah this year is he has been adequate.

Farah has had a very average year so far by his standards (especially early on), but IMO has stepped up and played well the last couple of weeks.

I don't think he was outplayed by Hinchcliffe at all - in fact I still can't quite work out why Hinchcliffe was getting so many wraps. He played OK given he came into the side relatively late but he did nothing out of the ordinary, and in fact I thought that he almost killed Country's chances of winning with his crap passes near the end when they had a chance for a field goal. Obviously none of the commentators saw this.

Ennis is shit and should not even be mentioned, end of story.

perverse

Referee
oh good god... i've been having this discussion with Tigers fans since Buderus' second last year... can someone else take over, please? so over Robbie Farah and origin.

it's the same shit every year.

Hinchcliffe is getting wraps because he made excellent yardage out of dummy half - provided good service until the very end (i actually thought it was Moltzen that delivered those 2 final passes, not Hinchcliffe.. so i didn't black-mark him for it, but if i'm proven wrong there then so be it), defended well and scored a try with a dummy half scoot. basically, he did everything Farah did, plus more, and better.

can someone else please take over this conversation? i've dead set had it with Tigers fans, Robbie Farah and Origin. Farah has done himself zero favours this year, and does not deserve selection based on a couple of ok games. Ennis is playing miles better... absolutely miles... and i honestly hate the little merkin, but it's the truth.

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier
4. Jennings
5. Uate
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Galloway
9. Farah
10. Snowden
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Gidley
15. Leayroyd-Lahrs
16. Idris
17. Mannah

NSW need to be able to score points. They also need good go forward this is the most important thing they need they cannot pick Weyman again he get's smashed in Origin Creagh doesn't like the tough stuff either.

What NSW are 4 front rowers capable of making over 100 metres in the game. Combine that with Gallen who definitely will NSW could finally get some ascendancy in the forwards.

NSW need an exciting backline in case this misfires and the forwards don't play well enough you will at least have Soward ready to clear the ball and with Jennings,Uate,Gordon,Gasnier and Hayne NSW will be capable of scoring tries from anywhere on the pitch.

NSW have erred in worrying too much about what Queensland have and how to stop them. For example picking Beau Scott in the centre's to stop Inglis it is just defeatism like Australia in the ashes picking a left arm spinner just to dismiss Kevin Pietersen.

NSW need to give Queensland something to think about when you think of it that young team they picked at the start of 09 was it ? That probably came closer to beating Queensland then any of those conservative sides did and that was because they had the likes of Jennings and Hayne and attacked from all over the field.

Really what NSW need to do is pick a side capable of scoring at least 24 points. Queensland will at least score 3 tries with there great attacking players it is inevitable, There is no stopping such great players not twice in a 3 game series it seems to me last few years with the exception of the first game in 2009 NSW have been more interested winning the game 8-6 or something it was basically there only chance.

If NSW pick there best attacking players in there correct position and competent halves and a forward pack which can eat up metres. NSW can win the series if they try and bore Queensland out they will lose. I know the Dragons are the best side in the NRL at the moment with a strong defensive style but i guarantee that will not work for NSW.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
oh good god... i've been having this discussion with Tigers fans since Buderus' second last year... can someone else take over, please? so over Robbie Farah and origin.

it's the same shit every year.

Hinchcliffe is getting wraps because he made excellent yardage out of dummy half - provided good service until the very end (i actually thought it was Moltzen that delivered those 2 final passes, not Hinchcliffe.. so i didn't black-mark him for it, but if i'm proven wrong there then so be it), defended well and scored a try with a dummy half scoot. basically, he did everything Farah did, plus more, and better.

can someone else please take over this conversation? i've dead set had it with Tigers fans, Robbie Farah and Origin. Farah has done himself zero favours this year, and does not deserve selection based on a couple of ok games. Ennis is playing miles better... absolutely miles... and i honestly hate the little merkin, but it's the truth.

I am as sick of the Farah arguments too, so I will agree to disagree but I simply don't understand the fuss about Hinchcliffe

a) He hardly ever plays hooker at club level
b) He only got called up because of an injury to the incumbent turd
c) He plays OK but not outstanding - apart from his try he did not do anything out of the ordinary

I think people need to watch games with the commentary off, it makes it easier to judge.

As for Ennis, the grubs name should not even be mentioned considering his performance in game III last year, simple as that. I don't give a f**k how he's played this year.