What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great night to pick your NSW side

j0nesy

Bench
This is the team that I think will take the field based on some of Stuart comments:
1. Hayne - Incumbent, in the core player group, being talked up by Stuart.
2. Morris - Incumbent, test winger and approacing some form
3. Gasnier - Excellent form, bieng talked up as captain in some circles, Stuart speaks as if this is a fait accompli.
4. Idris - Played in the test match. Overhyped IMO, but will unfortunately shade out Jennings and Champion.
5. Gordon - I think he will play to cover th goal kicking role, unfortunately this means Uate will miss out.
6. Mullen - Stuart loves him, and hes going quite well. Id prefer Soward at 5/8th
7. Pearce - Incumbent, he isnt quite in bad enough form to drop, id prefer Mullen here.
8. Tolman - Workhorse prop, talked up by Stuart too
9. Hinchcliffe - I think Stuart was ver impressed. Id be inclined to go with Farrah / Young off the bench
10. Mannah - One of the few going ok for Parra, nit sure on the prop though
11. Scott - 18th man for the tests, Lewis not match fit
12. Creagh - Incument test player, did ok in the Test, playing exceptional for Dragons
13. Gallen - Best player in NSW, Stuart loves him

14. Gidley - part of the core player group, true utility value, incument
15. Dwyer - this is more of a hunch, as I dont think they will pick Lewis for game 1
16. Sowden - test player, pobabl NSW most pomising prop, ill probably start instead of Mannah, but Im on th iPad and not sure how to scroll up
17. Leroyd-Lahrs - Not sure if he will be fit, but a certainty if he is

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
14. Gidley - part of the core player group, true utility value, incument

Gidley has played 4 years of orgin footy. And never won. What is the relevance of a 'core playing group' in those circumstances?

Or incumbancy?

Choose a team that can win. Loyalty is for people who win a series once every 5 years.

j0nesy

Bench
Gidley has played 4 years of orgin footy. And never won. What is the relevance of a 'core playing group' in those circumstances?

Or incumbancy?

Choose a team that can win. Loyalty is for people who win a series once every 5 years.

Fair call. This wasnt supposed to be the team I would pick, but still I struggle to think of a better utility back in NSW.

timka4

Bench
Pretty sure Stuart said Bird/Gallen are set in stone for starting back row spots. My prediction is Creagh will start in the 12 and Scott will take a bench spot

01 J.Hayne
02 A.Uate
03 J.Idris
04 M.Gasnier
05 B.Morris
06 M.Pearce
07 B.Hornby
08 K.Snowden
09 R.Hinchcliffe
10 T.Mannah
11 B.Scott
12 B.Creagh
13 P.Gallen

14 D.Young
15 K.Galloway
16 A.Tolman
17 G.Bird

Joker's Wild

Coach
01 J.Hayne
02 A.Uate
03 J.Idris
04 M.Gasnier
05 B.Morris
06 M.Pearce
07 B.Hornby

08 K.Snowden
09 R.Hinchcliffe
10 T.Mannah
11 B.Scott
12 B.Creagh
13 P.Gallen

14 D.Young
15 K.Galloway
16 A.Tolman
17 G.Bird

Seriously? Even though Hornby has retired from rep footy?

I like Hornby as a player but he is pretty beige as halfbacks go, playing conservative has been a big factor in NSWs loses over the last 5 years. We need spark and consistency

Joker's Wild

Coach

Or incumbancy?

Hayne has never won
Neither has Pearce
Nor Farah
Ennis
Bird
Gallen
Snowden
TLL

Should they all not be considered because NSW has lost a series(es) while they were in the team?

Stupid reason mate

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Are they part of a core playing group over the last 4 years? Well, maybe Hayne is.

Hayne should be selected, if selected, because he can and has proved to cause headaches with individual brilliance. Same with Bird.

When you have lost 5 series in a row, there is no need to be loyal to a "core playing group" - just choose a combo that can win! Locky would be well gone if Qld had lost the last 5!

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hayne, Gallen and Gidley have all been part of the team since '06.

Gidleys only poor game has come when he was moved from his most effective position on the bench to FB. He is Australias best utility, proven by his selection for Australia time and again, and more than deserves the spot for NSW based on form not just incumbancy.

I call bullshit on Locky being dropped if Qld were in the reverse position too. He would still be there imo because he is still their best option at 5/8. No one else comes close

Parra Guru

Coach
1. Hayne
2. Gordon
3. Gasnier
4. Idris
5. Morris
6. Soward
7. Mullen
13. Gallen (c)
12. Creagh
11. Bird
10. Mannah
9. Farah
8. Snowden

14. Gidley
15. Tolman
16. TLL
17. Dwyer

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I call bullshit on Locky being dropped if Qld were in the reverse position too. He would still be there imo because he is still their best option at 5/8. No one else comes close

Perhaps you're too young to remember 2008...

No bs.

Big Pete

Referee
There were reports last year Lockyer, Price and Civo were on their last legs at Origin 2 2006.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Perhaps you're too young to remember 2008...

No bs.

Im certainly old enough to remember mate and the calls for Lockys dropping were more to do with his age, not performances. Also, those calls were coming purely from the media whom last I checked, dont pick SOO sides.

Darren would never have been dropped

Bazal

Post Whore
A bit late to the thread, but I'd pick...

1-Hayne (now that Dugan is yet again injured....if you believe him, anyway)
2-Gordon
3-Gasnier
4-Champion
5-Uate
6-Soward
7-Mullen
8-Snowden
9-Ennis
10-Douglas
11-Bird
12-Creagh (mostly through a lack of options....he's so soft!)
13-Gallen

14-Mannah
15-Tolman
16-Learoyd-Lahrs
17-Idris

jbl31649

Juniors
A bit late to the thread, but I'd pick...

1-Hayne (now that Dugan is yet again injured....if you believe him, anyway)
2-Gordon
3-Gasnier
4-Champion
5-Uate
6-Soward
7-Mullen
8-Snowden
9-Ennis
10-Douglas
11-Bird
12-Creagh (mostly through a lack of options....he's so soft!)
13-Gallen

14-Mannah
15-Tolman
16-Learoyd-Lahrs
17-Idris

Champions injuried (which means Jennings). After watching Ryan Hinchcliff I'd prefer him over Ennis less Bullshit and maybe have Farah on the interchange playing late in the halves.

But this team looks pretty much what we will field.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Im certainly old enough to remember mate and the calls for Lockys dropping were more to do with his age, not performances.
I repeat - if Qld had lost five in a row - there is no way Locky would be there now. That would be based on losing performances and not age.

Age is irrelevant.

You said Locky is Qld's best option at 5/8th and noone else comes close. I am suggesting Thurston outside Prince or Cronk does not only come close...

Try to stay on point sweetheart.

hellteam

First Grade
Here it is fellas... a NSW team picked by a Qld'er (that we don't want see). Well actually yes I do I'd like to see the two best teams play.

1) Hayne - it's Hayne, he's always good in Origin
2) Morris - Aus test player, pretty good winger
3) Gasnier - Best option at right centre
4) Jennings - Saw about 10 mins of City v Country, he looked good, playing in a better team will help him. He can attack, which NSW need.
5) Uate - Deserves a shot
6) Soward - Likewise. Although if NSW lose game one i bet Carney will be thrown straight in.
7) Pearce - Just really don't see what every sees in Mullen. Pearce isn't great, but better then the other options
8) Snowden - Good player, should start
9) Farah - So much better than Ennis, but then again he did choke last time he was in Origin
10) Tolman - Get him in there, could be in the front row for years to come
11) Gallen (c) - needs to be there and be captain
12) Creagh - hmm tough one, he has played well once before in Origin, but was also extremely quiet a few times, has been playing well this year.
13) Bird - Nearly always man of match in Origin, if he's not in the team NSW are kidding themselves (but he will be)

14) Gidley - Good bench player, shit Origin fullback
15) Learoyd-Lars - big man, quite good last year in Origin
16) Idris - bit of an x-factor for NSW
17) Douglas - should be talked up more, very good player

And stick with it!!

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
Anitlag makes a good point though. It's one thing to be loyal to a core playing group, but if someone is not performing how long do you persevere with them for? Gidley has had a lot of chances. Personally I'd give him one more.

hellteam

First Grade
I repeat - if Qld had lost five in a row - there is no way Locky would be there now. That would be based on losing performances and not age.

Age is irrelevant.

You said Locky is Qld's best option at 5/8th and noone else comes close. I am suggesting Thurston outside Prince or Cronk does not only come close...

Try to stay on point sweetheart.

You lost all credibility when you said Prince... Have you watched the Titans this year?!