What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenberg wants 2nd Melb team

MugaB

Coach
That development smells a bit like lipstick on a pig

Its a nice state of the art centre of excellence, but 3000 undercover seats is hardly groundbreaking and still leaves the venue below what should be an NRL standard IMO

If Manly want to secure their long term future they need to find themselves a better stadium, wherever this may be.. keep brooky as the home training venue
Agreed they shouldn't bother fixing brookvale for a manly only usage, i do know CCmarniers have plans to use it aswell, but thats hardly a reason to spend money on a ground that only those two teams would use.
Ive said it before, they should really go hard for building a proper mini bankwest from scratch at Northbridge Oval, its way more centralised and can offer access to trains, buses, automobiles. (I wanted to say planes)
Plus be closer to the north shore to include options for other clubs, like sydney FC, Norths, Warratahs, Even Roosters, aswell as be home ground for Manly.
Refurbishment of Brookvale feels like a band aid solution, and doesn't help invite more patrons to join, or the casual viewer to visit, if brookvale continues to be the only northern sydney stadium.
Since Bankwest opened, there has been 4 Nrl clubs use it, through various reason, mainly 2 home clubs, wanderers, aswell as other one off events, this needs to be what they could be doing at Northbridge

reanimate

Bench
Agreed they shouldn't bother fixing brookvale for a manly only usage, i do know CCmarniers have plans to use it aswell, but thats hardly a reason to spend money on a ground that only those two teams would use.
Ive said it before, they should really go hard for building a proper mini bankwest from scratch at Northbridge Oval, its way more centralised and can offer access to trains, buses, automobiles. (I wanted to say planes)
Plus be closer to the north shore to include options for other clubs, like sydney FC, Norths, Warratahs, Even Roosters, aswell as be home ground for Manly.
Refurbishment of Brookvale feels like a band aid solution, and doesn't help invite more patrons to join, or the casual viewer to visit, if brookvale continues to be the only northern sydney stadium.
Since Bankwest opened, there has been 4 Nrl clubs use it, through various reason, mainly 2 home clubs, wanderers, aswell as other one off events, this needs to be what they could be doing at Northbridge
Waratahs would use a properly refurbished Brookvale too, they’ve already taken games there. Sydney FC could take a game or two there as well. If it was turned into a mini-Bankwest, you’d also get concerts etc taken there.

Northbridge would never happen, you’re talking about the people from the same area as those who stopped the Warringah freeway from actually reaching Warringah. There’s no chance of a major infrastructure project that will give them any sort of minor inconveniences of ever progressing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
New Brookvale Oval Centre of Excellence approved
Austadiums | Friday 7th August 2020
Brookvale-COE-01.jpg

The long-awaited $33 million upgrade of Manly’s Brookvale Oval has been approved, with work on the new Centre of Excellence and grandstand to start within weeks.

Updated renders have been released for the new facility which will be a much-needed facelift for the home of the Manly Sea Eagles, often regarded as having the worst amenities of any NRL venue.

Representing the Sea Eagles, Chris Dare said last week that construction could start “almost immediately”, within “four to six weeks”.

A Northern Beaches Council commissioned report recommended the development application be rejected but the Sydney North Planning Panel over-ruled the arguments made by Council’s assessor and approved the development.

Council’s report said that the proposed development did not meet the plan of management for Brookvale Park, and would result in the removal of heritage listed trees at the northern end of the park to accommodate the new building.

The new facility will be located at the northern end of the stadium and the grandstand will feature undercover seating for 3,000 spectators.

The building will also include high performance, training and administration facilities for the club, elite level gym, aquatic recovery and rehab pools, food and beverage outlets, disability access and seating, new toilets, female changing rooms and multipurpose community education facilities and community meeting rooms.

Mr Dare said the project would be the “catalyst for the redevelopment of Brookvale Oval in the longer term” and that they had carefully planned where the new facilities would be located to allow the potential possibility of future development.

RELATED: BROOKVALE OVAL UPGRADE ONE STEP CLOSER

Redevelopment of the Northern Beaches stadium have been discussed over the past 20 years, none of which had come to fruition as a result of not being viable due to lack of funding, until now.

The funding has been secured from the NSW Government ($20 million), the Federal Government ($12.5 million), while the Sea Eagles have committed $600K to the project, which is expected to take 12-18 months to complete.

The Brookvale Oval playing surface will also be upgraded following the conclusion of the 2020 NRL season.

Brookvale-COE-render2.jpg

LOTTOLANDBROOKVALE OVAL REDEVELOPMENTNRL

https://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=807

need consolidate what nrl has, turn it into an asset, not neglect it
turn brookie into a smaller bankwest stadium

that’s one stand done, only $200mill and three more to go lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kent flip flops on the subject whenever it's convenient to create controversy.

Griffin, Gallop, and Ribot aren't media personalities and hold little to no influence in the game anymore.

Fittler and Thurston are in the same boat as Johns. They are massively outnumbered and nobody takes their opinions on such subjects seriously.

If we are talking about media driven agendas, which we were, then it would be pretty unlikely for the minority opinion held in the media to be the media's agenda wouldn't it.

hamg on you said no one. 5 mins googling found numerous people who have been in the media in last few years calling for rationalising of Sydney lol. Just because you dont like their opinion doesn’t discount plenty have called for it in the media.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

A new more central northern stadium only makes sense if you reset the region and have a new nrl club that can appeal to the whole population. Just moving Manly to it wont make them anymore popular and would be a waste of a decent 25k stadium.

blue bags

First Grade
please. brookie is it, Northbridge is a dream, a fantasia. brookie is the center Perce of the future
everything evolves around getting brookie right,
for the future of NRL in the area. and other football sports
believe me, we are on the right track, updating brookie
its in our heartlands, same as central coast, gosford
north Sydney oval is a very important link to other areas
mini bankwest from scratch at Northbridge Oval, I wish so hard, but reality is in my face
you have to do what's best with what you have first, unless we have billions of $$$

blue bags

First Grade
A new more central northern stadium only makes sense if you reset the region and have a new nrl club that can appeal to the whole population. Just moving Manly to it wont make them anymore popular and would be a waste of a decent 25k stadium.
a new club/, what's wrong with the clubs we have now, please
a new club in the area . in you're dreams
you work with what you got 1zt

MugaB

Coach
I'm more of the opinion of we don't actually need a moore park rectangular stadium, and those who would need to use it, could be using that Northbridge mini Bankwest, as for brookvale, if it wasn't so difficult to get in and out of plus the lack of parking, also it's a bit of a dump of a ground, it could still can be used as a training ground, and hold a few one off games a season, along with a reserve grade games, as could NSO, but for 1st grade, a more centralised Northbridge Stadium for all teams being NRL,Manly and Easts, RU Warratahs, and A-league SydneyFC, CCmarniers.
Moore park already has the SCG, where only the roosters would need a handful of games, if a newer stadium was built north of the bridge.
If the Rabbitohs actually were to use Moore park i'd say fair enough, but they won't, and Manly being that extra 10-15 mins north east stuck in its own peninsula, won't increase anything even with this proposed rebuild.
The lack of forethought in not having a centralized ground around north shore makes no sense, you'd get more new fans going to a game in the north shore for the roosters, especially if they don't like Manly, and for the Manly fans its not too far away to travel as opposed to crossing the harbour bridge for finals, or relocation to Gosford

flippikat

Bench
A. is a terrible idea which would just alienate and confuse people.

I'm not saying B. is a terrible idea or shouldn't happen, but in reality what real benefits would there be to B. over just introducing a new club. Not very many I reckon.

To be honest, I don't think either has much chance of actually happening - if the NRL seriously wants a team in red & black, then there's two expansion options that lend themselves naturally to that palatte - Adelaide Rams (changing from red & blue to red & black to avoid Newcastle Knights colours) or a Christchurch-based team (Southern Bulls?) as they love red & black there.

However things pan out, there HAS to be some expansion team emerge with red & black as their colours soon, as it's a classic sports colour scheme that's sorely missing from our competition.

hutch

First Grade
I'm more of the opinion of we don't actually need a moore park rectangular stadium, and those who would need to use it, could be using that Northbridge mini Bankwest, as for brookvale, if it wasn't so difficult to get in and out of plus the lack of parking, also it's a bit of a dump of a ground, it could still can be used as a training ground, and hold a few one off games a season, along with a reserve grade games, as could NSO, but for 1st grade, a more centralised Northbridge Stadium for all teams being NRL,Manly and Easts, RU Warratahs, and A-league SydneyFC, CCmarniers.
Moore park already has the SCG, where only the roosters would need a handful of games, if a newer stadium was built north of the bridge.
If the Rabbitohs actually were to use Moore park i'd say fair enough, but they won't, and Manly being that extra 10-15 mins north east stuck in its own peninsula, won't increase anything even with this proposed rebuild.
The lack of forethought in not having a centralized ground around north shore makes no sense, you'd get more new fans going to a game in the north shore for the roosters, especially if they don't like Manly, and for the Manly fans its not too far away to travel as opposed to crossing the harbour bridge for finals, or relocation to Gosford

Souths have already said they are going back to Moore park when the new sfs is built.

mongoose

Coach

Two professional teams is perfectly okay to spend money on, the issue is getting enough people to attend to make it worth it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
a new club/, what's wrong with the clubs we have now, please
a new club in the area . in you're dreams
you work with what you got 1zt

We have one club that is, by its very brand, small suburban isolated and another that doesn't want to cross over the harbour bridge and a third thats in second division with no way back that time has passed by. Thats what's wrong with them.

A new north sydney club for the whole of Northern Sydney region is what is needed, imagine what a powerhouse it could be with all those wealthy people, sponsors and population size! Just needs Manly to drop down and reignite the rivalry with NS Bears in second division and for a new stadium somewhere central to call home.

flippikat

Bench
Well if that's all it takes lol....

View attachment 43476

Hehehe. I like your "if that's it takes" thinking, but I wouldn't want to change the Black, Gold & Red palatte that makes so much sense for a WA club.

As I said before, just red & black says Christchurch or Adelaide to me.

Especially Christchurch/Canterbury province - so many times my Wellington teams across many sports have suffered at the hands of the teams in red & black.

If it's Christchurch, in the new covered stadium, wearing Red & Black, they'll lap it up. Adelaide could be red, gold & blue in some combination, as per their rep teams since the Rams exited the NRL.. like below but with the thickest stripe being red, and thin blue and gold stripes.

images

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hehehe. I like your "if that's it takes" thinking, but I wouldn't want to change the Black, Gold & Red palatte that makes so much sense for a WA club.

As I said before, just red & black says Christchurch or Adelaide to me.

Especially Christchurch/Canterbury province - so many times my Wellington teams across many sports have suffered at the hands of the teams in red & black.

If it's Christchurch, in the new covered stadium, wearing Red & Black, they'll lap it up. Adelaide could be red, gold & blue in some combination, as per their rep teams since the Rams exited the NRL.. like below but with the thickest stripe being red, and thin blue and gold stripes.

images

Looks far too rugby union for me.

It’ll be bus only for the foreseeable future. I can’t see any form of rail being built to the peninsula any time soon. It’s the journey to Wynyard, plus the trip to Brookvale that makes it a mission via public transport for people travelling from other regions of Sydney. It’s the exact scenario Manly fans face in reverse to get to any other stadium, it’s a symptom of Sydney’s huge size and poor transport infrastructure. For the same reason though, it makes zero sense to force Manly into playing out of the SFS, ANZ or anywhere else.

Other locations might be theoretically better, but, for example, I can’t see the state government redeveloping large areas of Chatswood (narrow streets and the land is bordered by the rail line) to make Chatswood Oval into a viable site. NSO has the heritage listed stands and will more than likely stay an oval, even after money has been thrown at it. Other large parcels of land set aside for sport and entertainment include Rat Park and St Ives Showground, but they’re even worse in terms of transport links and travel time than Brookvale.
This is a great post for those of us unfamiliar with Sydney, and illustrates why Sydney needs to have so many teams. Maybe Perth Red should be made to read it the next time he whinges about Sydney having 9 teams.

It's for similar reasons I think Brisbane needs a team in the north, a team in the south and a team in the west. Some areas of Brisbane are just too far from Lang Park with too few roads to get them there within a reasonable time frame. I'd imagine it's even worse in Sydney.

PVL and the rest of the ARLC should lobby for either heavy rail (trains) or light rail (trams) to better connect the smaller grounds with the wider community. Everyone will benefit from a transport system that allows people to travel from one area of Sydney to the other faster and on less exchanges.

Latest posts