What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

bartman

Immortal
I'd say most sponsors have the contract written saying they can terminate under certain circumstances. So I'd suspect not?

I don't think a guilty verdict would be the decisive circusmtance for sponsors seeking termination, it'd have to be worded as something that made sense as a business decision, based on a change in perceived "value" of the continued exposure of their name with the product/club.

But interesting point, and I guess it shows that the risk is pretty much always borne by the club, and that's why it's important a club's employees stick to some sort of behavioural code (like many employees of companies and the public sector do) and not bring their employer into direpute on their own time.

effnic

Bench
Another likely scenario, Bird and his legal team will arrange a plea or pay to make this whole situation go away. Given that this may take a few weeks to play out, there is no reason why Bird won't be free to play for Manly on grand final day.
But wait there is another thread with you stating Manly wont make the top 8, so what now they will make the grand final.:lol: You must hate how successful this club has become.

The Clan

Juniors
I will be mortified if any English team signed up Bird after this.

The guy is a total Pr!ck

If he's found guilty he should never be allowed to play the game anywhere (after his sentence)

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
But wait there is another thread with you stating Manly wont make the top 8, so what now they will make the grand final.:lol: You must hate how successful this club has become.

No, not hatred, just contempt.
A club that has survived on legups for decades.
That's why we enjoy taking the piss out of precious Manly fans, like you.

dannyboy

Juniors
Heard a rumor.

No. You are starting a rumour more likley

...He's alleged to have a hit a girl in a face with a bottle? He nearly took her eye out....

Not meant to downplay the seriousness of the actual injury but geez....in a couple of days you, DM, will have embellished the story to the point where Bird has cut of her nose and removed both of her eyes...next week he'll have decapitated her.

Stop exagerating beyond what the media has already stated.

ollie515

Juniors
If he is found guilty and ends up with a criminal record he wont get a UK or EU visa to work and therefore play. His only option will be Australia.

That is unless of course he holds a UK passport for some reason..

Helen

Juniors
Greg Bird's sister blames Cronulla Sharks

Bird's sister said the league and the Sharks should also be held to account, claiming they were part of the system that took her brother out of the family home and moved him to Sydney when he was 17.
"A teenage kid has to go straight to an adult looking after themselves," Lacey Bird said.
"All the clubs really do is dump them at a home and tell them what training days they've got.
"They're not really looking after them. They're just dumping them at places. If they want to take teenage kids away from their families at such a young age, they should take responsibility for their actions."

Helen

Shorty

Staff member
Charming...blaming the club that gave him his life for glassing a chick.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
No. You are starting a rumour more likley

Not meant to downplay the seriousness of the actual injury but geez....in a couple of days you, DM, will have embellished the story to the point where Bird has cut of her nose and removed both of her eyes...next week he'll have decapitated her.

Stop exagerating beyond what the media has already stated.

I was being sarcastic. I was asked what made me think he would be going to jail? I wasn't sure anyone ask a question that dumb.

Where is the embellishment? She's been in hospital being treated for eye injuries. There was a broken glass found in the room. Show me where there's room for interpretation? There doesn't need to be any rumor spreading here or exaggeration. The allegation is sickening and salacious enough. The facts given by the police and witnesses in court have made any rumor spreading unnecessary. Innocent until proven guilty - just in this case it seems very very very likely that he's guilty. I'm yet to hear a plausible explanation from anyone about what may have happened that doesn't implicate Bird. Even his family aren't bothering to defend his innocence, instead blaming the club for not taking care of him. Thats not a good look.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Top 5 Dumb Moments so far in the Bird Saga

1. Bird glasses his girlfriend after a slanging match all his neighbors can here.
2. The whole process of trying to blame it on his friend.
3. His families comments which imply guilt by blaming the club. For what? If he's not guilty then what has the club done wrong?
4. Ricky Stuart finding a way to support Bird.
5. Gavin Orrs behavior.

The Colonel

Immortal

Snoop

Coach
I'm yet to hear a plausible explanation from anyone about what may have happened that doesn't implicate Bird.

Genius Freak came up with a completely plausible list the other day.

She may not have been hit with the glass, she may have tripped and fallen on it.

The glass may have been on the bed, she may have been drunk and not seen it, dove on the bed and landed on it face first.

The glass may have been accidentally dropped onto the victim by Bird/anyone who was drunk at the time, and perhaps too drunk to hold his glass properly. (This would be a tragic accident, but not worthy of charges.)

She may have been drunk/high and accidentally done it to herself.

The Colonel

Immortal
<h1 Class=section-heading>greg Bird's Sister Blames Cronulla Sharks
Stuart Honeysett And Brent Read | august 28, 2008

the Family Of Greg Bird Has Broken Its Silence On The Alleged Assault Which Threatens The Career Of The Cronulla Lock, Claiming The Club And The Nrl Deserve To Wear Some Of The Blame.
Speaking From The Family Home Near Maitland, Bird's Sister, Lacey, 19, Yesterday Said She Was Disappointed Her Older Brother Was Being Publicly Vilified For Allegedly Glassing The Face Of His American Girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
Bird, 24, Has Been Stood Down Indefinitely By The Sharks, With The Matter To Be Heard In Court On October 8.
Regardless Of The Outcome, Bird Faces Having His Four-year Contract, Believed To Be Worth $350,000 A Season, Torn Up While The Nrl Has Indicated It Could Ban Him For Life If He Is Found Guilty.
Bird's Sister Said The League And The Sharks Should Also Be Held To Account, Claiming They Were Part Of The System That Took Her Brother Out Of The Family Home And Moved Him To Sydney When He Was 17.
"a Teenage Kid Has To Go Straight To An Adult Looking After Themselves," Lacey Bird Said.
"all The Clubs Really Do Is Dump Them At A Home And Tell Them What Training Days They've Got.
"they're Not Really Looking After Them. They're Just Dumping Them At Places. If They Want To Take Teenage Kids Away From Their Families At Such A Young Age, They Should Take Responsibility For Their Actions."
The Comments From Bird's Family Were Challenged Last Night By Both The Nrl And The Sharks.
"clubs Are Constantly Looking To Improve Their Practices In Dealing With The Transition For Young Players," Nrl Chief Executive David Gallop Said.
"the Youth Competition Is Built Around Education And Welfare Requirements.
"certainly, Clubs Are Conscious Of The Need To Continually Invest In These Programs."
Sharks Chief Executive Tony Zappia Absolved His Club Of Any Blame, Pointing Out Bird Had Undertaken The Nrl's Education And Welfare Programs.
"you Need To Remember That Greg Wasn't Stolen From His Family," Zappia Said.
"his Family Would Have Had Some Input Into His Decision To Leave Home And Come To Sydney. I Can Understand His Sister's Concern Because Blood Is Thicker Than Water."
Bird Is Extremely Close To His Family And It Was Only Last Year That He Took His Mother, Iris, To The Dally M Awards At Sydney's Town Hall.
Lacey Bird Said Her Mother, Who Has Remarried After Separating From Bird's Father, Was Too Distraught To Talk About The Situation And It Had Also Been A Tough Time For The Rest Of
The Family.
Lacey Said She Was Not Worried About Facing A Potential Public Backlash For Standing Up For Her Brother.
"i'm 100 Per Cent Up To Do This For Him And For My Mum," She Said. "i've Spoken To Him A Few Times. He's In A Pretty Bad State As Well. He's Telling Me Not To Worry But How Am I Meant Not To Worry About Him?"
While Bird Remains In Hiding, His Manager Gavin Orr Was Yesterday Forced To Release A Statement Denying He Had Acted Improperly By Making Contact With Milligan.
Orr Was Photographed Leaving Prince Of Wales Hospital On Tuesday Night, Prompting Police To Investigate His Actions. Orr Said Through His Management Group That He Had Not And Would Not Act In An Unlawful Manner.
Bird's Reputation Continues To Suffer As A Result Of The Allegations. The Nsw Five-eighth Had Been Nominated For An Indigenous Award But Yesterday His Nomination Was Suspended Pending The Outcome Of His Court Hearing.
Bird Was One Of Four Nominees In The Outstanding Achievement In Nrl Category At The Annual Deadly Awards.
The Deadly Awards Will Be Held On October 9, The Day After Bird's Court Case Is Scheduled To Begin.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24251804-2722,00.html
</h1>

edabomb

First Grade
Top 5 Dumb Moments so far in the Bird Saga

1. Bird glasses his girlfriend after a slanging match all his neighbors can here.
2. The whole process of trying to blame it on his friend.
3. His families comments which imply guilt by blaming the club. For what? If he's not guilty then what has the club done wrong?
4. Ricky Stuart finding a way to support Bird.
5. Gavin Orrs behavior.

Stuart wrote an article saying how Carney should be suspended by the NRL for a year for his actions. Given the scale of this incident compared to that I have lost any small respect I had for him with his support of Bird.

And as for the sister blaming the NRL, that's absolutely priceless.

Latest posts