What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged and released by Sharks

[furrycat]

Coach
he is also being charged for another assult on a girl in january this year - i wonder if it was kate and she is now unloading on him.

there will be more to this story - without spelling it out but i don't think greg bird would do this sort of thing unless he had something in his blood stream !!!!

Wrong. He was given a summons to attend court for an alleged assault- this does not mean he was charged for it. Could be he was just a witness to something. Wait until its clarified.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
In reference to your point about the matress, I have never thought about this before. But surely, there are some cleaning regulations/standards even for a jail cell?

That's easy, there are no mattresses or blankets to keep clean. He would most likely be in a holding cell with others. They are basically a concrete room with a drain in the middle, a toilet in one corner, and a built-in conrete bench that runs around the perimeter. Cleaning them involves a liberal spraying with bleach and a hose down.

I've seen the conditions they put them in, and it is a long way from blankets and mattresses.

lsta5838

Juniors
The police holding cells are not very well looked after........he may have stayed overnight in police custody or held in Corrective Services custody at Surry Hills or similar (not sure of the setup at miranda) or he may have been remanded to MRRC at Silverwater. It depends. All I know is that the police cells are cleaned occasionally but I wouldn't want to spend 1 second in a cell.

Very interesting.

I wonder if that would change if someone contracted hepatitis or HIV etc after a night in jail.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
No saab, got it loud and clear. I fail to see the need to make that comment, obviously you did. Hasthis type of thing has never happened to anyone/woman you know, probably not. But that makes it ok.

Furry

I just think it is in very poor taste to make a joke about a woman suffering this type of injury, based on her relationship to the male.

OMG,

are you serious??? that you dont get the point of his post????

Wally was a legend (not just in football)..all round great guy, so when Saab said "the next wally lewis" line he wasnt just referring to football/origin.

dont have a panic attack...jeez.

As for the effnic line, i found it funny..

I have to deal with morons like Bird all the time, if i sit there and get personal with every person then im gonna get crushed...if effnic wants to make a joke then he can make a joke, who are you to tell people how they should act when dealing with any sort of upsetting news.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
So he's been refused bail, does he get another bail hearing today?
I'm a bit stunned by this, I thought it was a beat up until I noticed how carefully it was being reported. This is looking like being the worst scandal in league for a while, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but it looks like Bird is going to be charged with another assault on a woman.

Police have also given Bird a summons to attend court in relation to an alleged assault on a woman at a Cronulla nightclub back in January.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/25/2345080.htm

_Johnsy

Referee
the point being what does the type of guy wally is, have to do with what greg bird has done, or anything to do with this incident ?

Sweet Fugg all.

[furrycat]

Coach
So he's been refused bail, does he get another bail hearing today?
I'm a bit stunned by this, I thought it was a beat up until I noticed how carefully it was being reported. This is looking like being the worst scandal in league for a while, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but it looks like Bird is going to be charged with another assault on a woman.

Has been but its not clear enough to deduce it. Summons may just refer to him being a witness of an assault etc.

TheBourbonBeast

Juniors
Cant wait to hear what Matty Johns will say to defend his protege..I wanna see bird on the footy show 1 more time....

I can usually find humor in footballers misbehaving, like what hotsouce did. But this is serious and nothing at all to laugh about.

Patorick

Staff member

Cronulla Sharks rugby league player Greg Bird has spent the night behind bars after being charged with the assault of a woman at his Cronulla home.
Police say the 24-year-old woman was hit in the face with a glass on Sunday morning during an argument at Bird's unit.
She was taken to hospital with glass wounds to her eye and a broken eye socket and will have surgery today.
Investigators arrested 24-year-old Bird last night and charged him with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.
He was refused bail and will appear in Sutherland Local Court today.
Police have also given Bird a summons to attend court in relation to an alleged assault on a woman at a Cronulla nightclub back in January.
The Sharks released a statement saying they understood the woman was a friend of Bird's and saying she was injured following an argument between two of the player's guests.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
if he was charged he might be on bail at the moment, so he may have breached his bail...

today will be whether Bird gets bail or not, god i hope he has a decent magistrate who refuses him...

I know he hasnt been found guilty of committing the offence but still, how many times can someone appear for doing dumb things and each time coming out trying to pretend that he had no part.

suthotroy

Juniors
The charge carries a presumption against bail because of its level of seriousness. Police don't have the authority to grant bail to someone charged with 'maliciously inflict GBH'.

The matter will go before Sutherland Local Court today and Bird will, no doubt, apply for bail.

I'd be surprised if it's not granted given Bird's profile. He'd only be refused bail if he was a flight risk.

The other assault allegedly occurred back in January. He will be issued a summons to appear in court at a later date over that - tends to suggest that incident was not as serious.

brokendigit

Juniors
The NRL wouldn't risk prejudicing a case before the Court by sacking or deregistering him.
He'll certainly get his just desserts when locked up...

Takes a big man to hit a woman, & I'm stuffed if I know what it takes to glass anyone?

Cletus

First Grade
[furrycat];4483226 said:
Has been but its not clear enough to deduce it. Summons may just refer to him being a witness of an assault etc.

Well it looks like it's a seperate allegation against him:

He has also been issued a Field Court Attendance Notice for common assault relating to an alleged incident involving a woman at a nightclub on Cronulla Street in Cronulla on January 19 this year.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/l...nb3YuYXUlMkZtZWRpYSUyRjI4NDYuaHRtbCZhbGw9MQ==

Plumplechook

Juniors
[furrycat];4483226 said:

What furry feline planet are you on Furrycat?? The guy has been charged, refused bail, and spent the night in jail - as well as now being charged with an earlier assault on a female back in January. Not something that would happen if he was just "the witness of an assault".

The culture of cover-up runs deep in the NRL. "I understand he wasn't involved," Sharks CEO Tony Zappia was saying all yesterday. Yeah right...

Eels Dude

Coach
If he is charged then he has to be sacked and deregistered. While I feel off field dramas should stay off field dramas, after Canberra's stance against Carney, Cronulla have to do the right thing. Even if they don't, the NRL has to.

[furrycat]

Coach
What furry feline planet are you on Furrycat?? The guy has been charged, refused bail, and spent the night in jail - as well as now being charged with an earlier assault on a female back in January. Not something that would happen if he was just "the witness of an assault".

The culture of cover-up runs deep in the NRL. "I understand he wasn't involved," Sharks CEO Tony Zappia was saying all yesterday. Yeah right...

:lol: Read it again please.

The summons comment is in reference to the earlier assault in January. There is nothing to say he has been CHARGED for that one, only to appear in court which may or may not be as a witnesss to the JANUARY assault. Find me a quote where it says he has been charged, as opposed to being given a summons. Its not clear as of yet whether he has been charged for this other incident, only that he has been asked to appear in court.

I didn't say the one he was charged for last night was because he was a witness... Waiting to see if he was charged for the earlier incident

Fatdog

Juniors
Greg Bird's WAG Katie Milligan may lose eye after assault

The alleged assault occurred some time about 7am (AEST) yesterday and Bird, also 24, drove Ms Milligan to Sutherland Hospital about 8.30am.

He was drinking in Surry Hills the night before, then met up with Ms Milligan and some of her visiting American female friends at the Golden Sheaf hotel at Double Bay.
Early the next morning, the group headed back to Bird's apartment, which he bought six months ago.
http://www.news.com.au/

Probably very lucky not to get picked up for drink driving as well. I know if I've been drinking till the early hours of the morning driving at 8.30am is a big no-no. Why not call an ambulance? Did he think he could cover this up?

Hope he the girl is alright and justice is served to Bird.