What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigs

Immortal
C'mon all ye C.S.Iers.

We've got a whole night ahead of us for "our" definitions of what legal process will take place between now and the verdict.

Cards on the table .... whose got the joker.

David Q, Q.C from the Redfern Legal Office will be in later to assess the offerings to date.

He would of been in here now but he is consel for counselling Killer Karl and his transition back to whence he came.

p-csi.jpg

We've got to get this thread to the 3 grand mark anyway.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

gunnamatta bay

Referee
This is the trial Gunna. Defence has just decided to accept the prosecutions brief and allow it to be tended without each witness actually appearing in court. Happens a lot at the start of hearings. Defence has also decided that they dont need to cross examine the witnesses. There is obviously not much in the brief that scares them. Prosecutor stated that it is a circumstancial case, as we all know.

So once the magistrate reads the brief the defence witnesses will start rolling up. Thats assuming he thinks the prosecution has achieved prima facie for the assault. If the magistrate thinks they havent, which is likely then this will be over tomorrow morning.

Likely result - assault, reckless wounding - dismissed
- false reps - dismissed
- public mischief - entered guilty plea - will cop a fine.

As predicted to Barry and the board months ago. Nice work Barry.
I thought it was set down for a committal hearing. I was under the impression the beak would read the brief and decide if there is a case.

I still love Interpol, tracking a person who never asked for charges and has not been charged, exactly what are they tracking her for?

All it probably means is that they rang her fmaily home in the US, were told she was travelling then asked US Customs/Immigration for the details of the last time her passport was used. Probably took them all of 5 minutes.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Agreed, not a hard task, but why?

allegedly be a victim, do not complain and have the feds watching you.

Seems pretty farked to me

Last edited:

Gaba

First Grade
the police will probably take mischief further,Don't be surprise bird will have to face trial for giving a false report,due to pleading guilty for mischief

up to the magistrate to say whether bird will go on trial for the assault .I think technicality will be the reason if he isnt , there may be still enough evidence for the magistrate to say yes the police have a case for the assault

Last edited:
Agreed, not a hard task, but why?

allegedly be a victim, do not complain and have the feds watching you.

Seems pretty farked to me

I suppose the police are always (rightly) suspicious in a domestic violence case where the victim despite initially suggesting the accused had something to do with her injuries then decides not to pursue the pressing of charges.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I still love Interpol, tracking a person who never asked for charges and has not been charged, exactly what are they tracking her for?

So how did he get charged then? Did hospital staff report the alleged incident as a suspected case of dom violence? Did she in fact make a complaint initially but not provide a statement when hindsight kicked in?

samshark

Juniors
I thought it was set down for a committal hearing. I was under the impression the beak would read the brief and decide if there is a case.

No this is the hearing. In a local court before a magistrate. We will have a final verdict over the next couple of days. You are also mistaken Gaba, this is not to determine whether the matter proceeds to trial. This is it now. Nothing further can be done with the false reps as well. He has been charged, will either be found guilty of this or dismissed. Bird obviously fancies his chances of beating this but not the public mischief, hence the early guilty plea. Or alternatively I suspect they have negotiated that he will plead guilty to the public mischief if the false reps is withdrawn. All this kind of stuff happens when the hearing is about to start.

The defence has allowed the prosecution to just tender the brief instead of dragging up 20 something witnsess. It benefits the prosecution to do this. The magistrate studies the brief then the defence will bring in their witnesses, prosecution will cross examine, then final summations then a decision.

I don't think Bird's team want her anywhere near SYdney.

I agree. The whole defence seems to revolve around blurring the facts as much as possible. If there was no wrong done, they'd get here in there to say this is what happened. The defence appears to be relying on all the circumstantial evidence not adding up to enough to convict.

Its a defence he's entitled to legally, and its the prosecution's job to make their case, fair enough, but it just screams out "I'm guilty but you can't prove it".

Gaba

First Grade
I agree. The whole defence seems to revolve around blurring the facts as much as possible. If there was no wrong done, they'd get here in there to say this is what happened. The defence appears to be relying on all the circumstantial evidence not adding up to enough to convict.

Its a defence he's entitled to legally, and its the prosecution's job to make their case, fair enough, but it just screams out "I'm guilty but you can't prove it".
Thats why the police will probably go on with the false report , bird is going to find it difficult in defending that charge, particularly when he pleaded guilty to public mischief,and then it will give them more evidence for the assault charge.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Okay does this all end (courtwise) tomorrow.?

Just for my piece of mind, how many charges will be settled and how many have been dropped. How many carried over.

I thought it was all ending. Its not hard to confuse me.

Interesting Just to compare it all with the final results.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
Thanks Reef and Sam

But that bit about someone in here actually knowing what they are talking about is truely debateable.

I guess there has always got to be a first.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

from the people I have spoken to most believe that the Assault charges will be thrown out but he will cop a fine for the Public Mischief charge - trying to get his flatmate to take the blame.

Guess we will all find out tomorrow afternoon regardless....

Gaba

First Grade
Magistrate is reading through to see if there is a case for the assault and false reports to go to trial,

On a side note if the assault charge is deem to be lack of evidence on a technicality , that doesnt mean it is dropped or dismiss , the police and still take him to court for the same charge later on if they can fix the part of technicality up

Last edited:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
No this is the hearing. In a local court before a magistrate. We will have a final verdict over the next couple of days. You are also mistaken Gaba, this is not to determine whether the matter proceeds to trial. This is it now. Nothing further can be done with the false reps as well. He has been charged, will either be found guilty of this or dismissed. Bird obviously fancies his chances of beating this but not the public mischief, hence the early guilty plea. Or alternatively I suspect they have negotiated that he will plead guilty to the public mischief if the false reps is withdrawn. All this kind of stuff happens when the hearing is about to start.

The defence has allowed the prosecution to just tender the brief instead of dragging up 20 something witnsess. It benefits the prosecution to do this. The magistrate studies the brief then the defence will bring in their witnesses, prosecution will cross examine, then final summations then a decision.
I would be amazed that birds lawyer would not take the opportunity to cross exam some of the prosecution witnesses as there are supposed to be 27 of them.

I got the impression the police were going to use some of bird's neighbours to relate what they heard and what perception this creates. I would have thought it important to demonstrate that thats what they are. Perceptions of what was going on.

In the circumstances you detail they will not have this opportunity. I was under the impression they were going to reserve this right if it came to a trial.

millersnose

Post Whore
i am no legal expert but 2 things strike me in this latest development

1. i cannot see how him pleading guilty to public mischief helps him - it is an admission of the second charge

2. everyone waffling about how she made no police statement - without acknowledging she has made no police statement exanerating her also - i see it as a 2 edge sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts