What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

samshark

Juniors
Magistrate is reading through to see if there is a case for the assault and false reports to go to trial,

On a side note if the assault charge is deem to be lack of evidence on a technicality , that doesnt mean it is dropped or dismiss , the police and still take him to court for the same charge later on if they can fix the part of technicality up

Gaba, you are wrong. This is not whats happening. The matter is being determined now. In a hearing in a local court before a magistrate. Thats it. Read my posts above.

samshark

Juniors
i am no legal expert but 2 things strike me in this latest development

1. i cannot see how him pleading guilty to public mischief helps him - it is an admission of the second charge

2. everyone waffling about how she made no police statement - without acknowledging she has made no police statement exanerating her also - i see it as a 2 edge sword

Public mischief is a nothing charge Millers. It covers so many things. You can charge people for public mischief for making a prank 000 call. I'd say a deal has been done on this one. Will plead to this if you withdraw the other. Bird was always going to find it hard to beat these two charges because of the text messages. Happens all the time. Doesnt really affect the overall case.

samshark

Juniors
I would be amazed that birds lawyer would not take the opportunity to cross exam some of the prosecution witnesses as there are supposed to be 27 of them.

I got the impression the police were going to use some of bird's neighbours to relate what they heard and what perception this creates. I would have thought it important to demonstrate that thats what they are. Perceptions of what was going on.

In the circumstances you detail they will not have this opportunity. I was under the impression they were going to reserve this right if it came to a trial.

It is surprising but I guess at the end of the day neighbours can say they heard this and heard that but the prosecution still has to prove beyond ALL reasonable doubt that G.Bird assaulted or recklessly wounded Milligan. Can they do that with the brief they have?

samshark

Juniors
Okay does this all end (courtwise) tomorrow.?

Just for my piece of mind, how many charges will be settled and how many have been dropped. How many carried over.

I thought it was all ending. Its not hard to confuse me.

Interesting Just to compare it all with the final results.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

I know Quigs, so many charges so many court days.
Anyways just to keep you guessing the other Fusion nightclub assault matter is separate to all this and is next in court in July I think.

Dave Q

Coach
Nice work samshark.

But perhaps some magistrates dont understand what "beyond a reasonable doubt" means.

Its meant to be a tough test, but weve all heard of people being convicted on pretty flimsy and suspect evidence.

Of course, as much as the law is shrouded in objectivity and concepts of justice and the rule of law, sweep that aside and its still humans making decisions about humans. See the doctrine of legal realism.

Shes bundyed off overseas and so she cant give evidence in court. Is that sending the wrong message to the public? I wonder.

Is this setting a bad precedent? Is this all people need to do to put a spanner in the works of the justice system after the state has spent enormous amounts of resources trying to ascertain the truth of the matter?

Maybe they should have adjourned the case until her return. Arrest and extradite her to give evidence on behalf of the people of NSW. Declare her a hostile witness if need be and give the people of our fair state, our day in court?

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
meanwhile
anyone see 60 minutes?
A policeman gets a flying headbut to the back of his head.
He was in a coma and now can't use his left arm or walk properly ...he has to use a wheelchair.

He was trying to stop a fight between 3 family members who were pissed.
The video footage clearly shows the cop with his back to the offender when it happened.

The dude got off.

Dave Q

Coach
meanwhile
anyone see 60 minutes?
A policeman gets a flying headbut to the back of his head.
He was in a coma and now can't use his left arm or walk properly ...he has to use a wheelchair.

He was trying to stop a fight between 3 family members who were pissed.
The video footage clearly shows the cop with his back to the offender when it happened.

The dude got off.

Thats an absolute disgrace, stupid pissed dickheads.

In China they probably would have been executed. They execute people for raping women for example. On the internet the other day, I read that they knock off 10,000 people per year and have "death wagons"

Death by lethal injection in the back of an "special ambulance" minus the windows.

They strap you down gently, put you to sleep first before the bad gear is injected...so you dont feel anything.

I guess my point is, very tough penalties. You just dont fug with Chinese coppers or break their laws with gay abandon. Theres an argument that they need tough laws because of the size of the population. I know I felt pretty safe on the streets there in the middle of the night, thats for sure...but you never know.

People can hate our cops here all they want, but they shouldnt assault or harm them in any way.

At the end of the day our cops are public servants, but with lethal force. Sometimes they have no choice but to use it. I am sure 99.99% of them would rather not be in that situation.

One of mates says give thos little graffiti "artist" sprogs 20 lashes of the ratan and 3 months in the Bay!

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
hmmm
just heard on radio.

she told her dad and the doctors she fell onto a bedside table that had cocktail glasses on it.
and
There was no DNA proof linking him to any of the glasses.

hmmm
just heard on radio.

she told her dad and the doctors she fell onto a bedside table that had cocktail glasses on it.
and
There was no DNA proof linking him to any of the glasses.

If that had happened, then I have no doubt that she would have said so last year and that there would have been no need for Birdy to send his mate silly text messages asking him to be the fall guy.

carcharias

Immortal
If that had happened, then I have no doubt that she would have said so last year and that there would have been no need for Birdy to send his mate silly text messages asking him to be the fall guy.
the way I heard it sounds like she did tell them this last year.
I am under the impression they were talking about the doctors in the hospital that he drove her to.

carcharias

Immortal
There was no evidence to prove that Greg Bird inflicted upon his girlfriend the lacerations that were on her face when she was admitted to hospital in last August, a court heard today.
But the Cronulla Sharks footballer and the woman he is accused of assaulting, Katie Milligan, told police, medical staff and their friends a series of different stories from the moment she was injured and throughout the police investigation, the court was told.
First he said she fell, then that he fell and finally that his friend had assaulted her.
Bird is facing two assault charges and one of false accusation in Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court.
Peter Stanhope, acting for the Director of Public Prosecutions, said CCTV footage taken from outside the couple's Cronulla apartment showed Bird returning home shortly before 4am on the morning of the assault.
The next person to open the door was his friend, Brent Watson, who was leaving the unit for a golf tournament about 6.40am.
A few minutes later Ms Milligan arrived home from her night out.
Neighbours then heard raised voices inside the aparment, including a man shouting "stop being a f---ing idiot". And then they heard the couple leave, with Ms Milligan saying to Bird "why did you do this to me?"
"I didn't," he replied.
Ms Milligan: "Yes you did."
When they arrived at hospital, said Mr Stanhope, Bird told a nurse Ms Milligan had tripped over a coffee table.
Out of his earshot, Ms Milligan corrected that story. "My flatmate put the glass in my eye. I don't know why he's lying."
But the court heard that within hours, the story had changed again.
Ms Milligan told police she had been out with Brent Watson, but they became involved in an argument because she called his girlfriend fat.
After they got home he picked up a glass and threw it, possibly aiming for the mirror but landing it on her face.
He had immediately apologised, she allegedly said, and she did not wish to press charges.
Bird supported her story, telling police he had woken to loud voices and entered the room to see blood on his girlfriend's face.
While they were busy blaming Mr Watson for the injuries, the court heard, behind the scenes they were frantically contacting him.
Mr Watson was later to tell police how was on the golf course when Bird rang him.
"Something has happened to Katie," Bird allegedly said.
"It was an accident. There was blood all over the unit. I told police it was you. How do you feel about that?"
\
Later he sent Watson text messages instructing him not to answer calls or say anything and they would talk through it that night.
It had been Ms Milligan's idea to involve him, Bird allegedly said.
But Bird's barrister, Mr John Dailly SC, said Bird had not intended to lie when he went to the hospital. But he had done so to support his girlfriend's version of events.
"From the outset, almost everything that fell from her lips was a lie," Mr Dailly said.
The Crown had no evidence to prove that Bird had assaulted her on purpose, by accident, or at all, he said.
If he had done so, the Crown did not even know how he had caused the lacerations.
The most likely scenario, given that she had been drinking and he had denied having hurt her even in conversations when he had not known the neighbours were listening, was that it was an accident, he said.
There was no DNA on the broken glass later found in the bedroom and no fingerprints, he said.
Ms Milligan did not give police a sworn statement and was last heard flying to Spain.
Magistrate Roger Clisdell has reserved his decision on whether the Crown has a case to later today.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...urt-told/2009/04/28/1240684440894.html?page=2

Dave Q

Coach
The neighbours evidence sounds the closest to the truth so far.

The text message was a classic as well.

As I said, off to a bad start.

If she was at court she could sort it out. But she doesnt want to be at court.

Last edited:

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The neighbours evidence sounds the closest to the truth so far.
Yes I agree. I bet his "lovely" neighbours didnt think they would be Birds best witness when they repeated " I didn't do anything to you" to the police. They should have left that part out , like they did other parts & they would have stood a better chance of getting "quiter & more "appropriate" neighbours in.
Perhaps then they wouldnt have to get up at 4.30 am to eaves drop.

Gaba

First Grade
Gaba, you are wrong. This is not whats happening. The matter is being determined now. In a hearing in a local court before a magistrate. Thats it. Read my posts above.
, if the magistrate says there is no case and the reason is due to technicality the, the charge on bird can be brought up again due to the techincality being fixed up then it will go to trial

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Mate with all the other sh!t going down and getting swept under huge persian carpets, I don't give a rats if he is guilty, give him a jersey.

Why if it is good enough for the gooses, its good enough for the birds.

I repeat My opinion from the word go, he should of talked to Sticky and Zap and told them what happend - whisper - whisper style. That is what pissed me off originally.
But since seeing how all has unfolded and all the other turkeys getting treated like naughty school boys and us, hung drawn and quartered - well I reckon - just farkkkk em all.

It's a big joke. Got to be.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Status
Not open for further replies.