What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks8601

Juniors
i agree frenzy
but. We still dont know the details of WHAT happened that morning and also WHAT happened during the night

sharks8601

Juniors
Sharks delete Bird from club website
CRONULLA yesterday turned away from troubled star Greg Bird as the club began bracing itself to lose a sponsorship deal believed to worth up to $1 million.
As a direct result of Bird's arrest last weekend, executives from sleeve sponsor PKF Chartered Accountants will meet coach Ricky Stuart, chief executive Tony Zappia and NRL CEO David Gallop at midday to discuss terminating their three-year deal.
Today's meeting follows an emergency meeting of PKF's executive last night in Sydney.
To illustrate the club is moving on from Bird, the Sharks yesterday removed his profile from its official website. He is pictured in a website photo sitting next to coach Stuart but his profile, including age and interests, have now been deleted.
Asked why the club had taken such a stance, Zappia said: "It is important we protect the brand of the club and protect our sponsors until the investigation is finalised.
"It's not a insignificant thing. It's about protecting everybody."
PKF is in the first season of a three-year sponsorship deal and outlay up to $300,000 a season to the Sharks.
The company is deeply concerned its image will be tarnished by being linked to a club whose player allegedly assaulted a woman last weekend.
Bird has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks after being charged with "glassing" girlfriend Katie Milligan on Sunday morning.
PKF management claim to have been bombarded by emails from staff and clients questioning their sponsorship commitment with Cronulla.
"We are a big supporter of the NRL and have been a part of the NRL for some time," PKF chief executive David Ratcliffe said last night.
"We talk to our staff and clients about respect and integrity and we can't afford to have anything tarnish that. Our brand and image are everything. Quality and respect - it's hard to keep talking to staff and clients about this if we don't stand by it.
"I'm having trouble keeping this on track. This has created a real problem for us. This isn't particularly healthy.
"A number of our staff and clients are asking whether we are reviewing the sponsorship and our commitment to the Sharks."
Former Balmain, NSW and Australian hooker Ben Elias - a friend of both Ratcliffe and Stuart - has been called in to assist with the talks, but did not want to comment yesterday.
Zappia said last night he was hopeful of retaining PKF as a sponsor. "I can confirm PKF have suggested we meet to discuss our ongoing sponsorship," Zappia told The Daily Telegraph. "I understand they have concerns. It's important to remember that there are legal proceedings to follow and a police investigation is currently under way.
I would like to think PKF would continue to support the club until, at the very least, the matter is finalised."

PKF national marketing director Sarah Waley is deeply concerned about the Bird drama.

"We are a leading accountancy firm - we can't stand by when these things happen," she said.

"This provides us with a real issue. We are very conscious of our image and there is certainly a question mark over our investment with Cronulla."

source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24252926-5003409,00.html

ollie515

Juniors
I didnt want yet another Greg Bird thread but this is more about the Sharks.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24252926-5003409,00.html

What do they do??

Sack Bird and please PKF and keep the 300K a year but risk being seen as influencing an on-going investigation??

Not sack Bird and risk the spnsorship from PKF and potentially others??

What if PKF is the one drop that starts the waterfall and Toyota, LG, Puma follow.. How long can the Sharks withstand the pressure to sack him?

Would another sponsor have the opposite view and resent the Sharks for sacking him quickly??

sharks8601

Juniors
Greg Bird's sister blames Cronulla Sharks
Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read | August 28, 2008

THE family of Greg Bird has broken its silence on the alleged assault which threatens the career of the Cronulla lock, claiming the club and the NRL deserve to wear some of the blame.
Speaking from the family home near Maitland, Bird's sister, Lacey, 19, yesterday said she was disappointed her older brother was being publicly vilified for allegedly glassing the face of his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
Bird, 24, has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks, with the matter to be heard in court on October 8.
Regardless of the outcome, Bird faces having his four-year contract, believed to be worth $350,000 a season, torn up while the NRL has indicated it could ban him for life if he is found guilty.
Bird's sister said the league and the Sharks should also be held to account, claiming they were part of the system that took her brother out of the family home and moved him to Sydney when he was 17.
"A teenage kid has to go straight to an adult looking after themselves," Lacey Bird said.
"All the clubs really do is dump them at a home and tell them what training days they've got.
"They're not really looking after them. They're just dumping them at places. If they want to take teenage kids away from their families at such a young age, they should take responsibility for their actions."
The comments from Bird's family were challenged last night by both the NRL and the Sharks.
"Clubs are constantly looking to improve their practices in dealing with the transition for young players," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.
"The youth competition is built around education and welfare requirements.
"Certainly, clubs are conscious of the need to continually invest in these programs."
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia absolved his club of any blame, pointing out Bird had undertaken the NRL's education and welfare programs.
"You need to remember that Greg wasn't stolen from his family," Zappia said.
"His family would have had some input into his decision to leave home and come to Sydney. I can understand his sister's concern because blood is thicker than water."
Bird is extremely close to his family and it was only last year that he took his mother, Iris, to the Dally M Awards at Sydney's Town Hall.
Lacey Bird said her mother, who has remarried after separating from Bird's father, was too distraught to talk about the situation and it had also been a tough time for the rest of
the family.
Lacey said she was not worried about facing a potential public backlash for standing up for her brother.
"I'm 100 per cent up to do this for him and for my mum," she said. "I've spoken to him a few times. He's in a pretty bad state as well. He's telling me not to worry but how am I meant not to worry about him?"
While Bird remains in hiding, his manager Gavin Orr was yesterday forced to release a statement denying he had acted improperly by making contact with Milligan.
Orr was photographed leaving Prince of Wales Hospital on Tuesday night, prompting police to investigate his actions. Orr said through his management group that he had not and would not act in an unlawful manner.
Bird's reputation continues to suffer as a result of the allegations. The NSW five-eighth had been nominated for an indigenous award but yesterday his nomination was suspended pending the outcome of his court hearing.
Bird was one of four nominees in the outstanding achievement in NRL category at the annual Deadly Awards.
The Deadly Awards will be held on October 9, the day after Bird's court case is scheduled to begin

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24251804-2722,00.html

STSAE

Juniors
I imagine Titan posts here for the same reasons I do. Its kind of fun, countering some of you guys blindly loyal defences of Greg Bird, with commonsense and reason, then seeing what responses in his defence you come up with.

Also, who's to say you know whats really going on more than anyone else? Even if you'd spoken to Greg Bird himself you're still only getting a slanted view of what happened.

What a great post that is.

Why is it when someone from another club who disagrees with the 2 or 3 defenders of the Turd, you 2 or 3 find excuses and just post garbage, resorting to namecalling and diverting the discussion???

You 2 or 3 only validate the medias reporting with your over reaction.:crazy:

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

STSAE

Juniors
Greg Bird's sister blames Cronulla Sharks
Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read | August 28, 2008

THE family of Greg Bird has broken its silence on the alleged assault which threatens the career of the Cronulla lock, claiming the club and the NRL deserve to wear some of the blame.
Speaking from the family home near Maitland, Bird's sister, Lacey, 19, yesterday said she was disappointed her older brother was being publicly vilified for allegedly glassing the face of his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
Bird, 24, has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks, with the matter to be heard in court on October 8.
Regardless of the outcome, Bird faces having his four-year contract, believed to be worth $350,000 a season, torn up while the NRL has indicated it could ban him for life if he is found guilty.
Bird's sister said the league and the Sharks should also be held to account, claiming they were part of the system that took her brother out of the family home and moved him to Sydney when he was 17.
"A teenage kid has to go straight to an adult looking after themselves," Lacey Bird said.
"All the clubs really do is dump them at a home and tell them what training days they've got.
"They're not really looking after them. They're just dumping them at places. If they want to take teenage kids away from their families at such a young age, they should take responsibility for their actions."
The comments from Bird's family were challenged last night by both the NRL and the Sharks.
"Clubs are constantly looking to improve their practices in dealing with the transition for young players," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.
"The youth competition is built around education and welfare requirements.
"Certainly, clubs are conscious of the need to continually invest in these programs."
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia absolved his club of any blame, pointing out Bird had undertaken the NRL's education and welfare programs.
"You need to remember that Greg wasn't stolen from his family," Zappia said.
"His family would have had some input into his decision to leave home and come to Sydney. I can understand his sister's concern because blood is thicker than water."
Bird is extremely close to his family and it was only last year that he took his mother, Iris, to the Dally M Awards at Sydney's Town Hall.
Lacey Bird said her mother, who has remarried after separating from Bird's father, was too distraught to talk about the situation and it had also been a tough time for the rest of
the family.
Lacey said she was not worried about facing a potential public backlash for standing up for her brother.
"I'm 100 per cent up to do this for him and for my mum," she said. "I've spoken to him a few times. He's in a pretty bad state as well. He's telling me not to worry but how am I meant not to worry about him?"
While Bird remains in hiding, his manager Gavin Orr was yesterday forced to release a statement denying he had acted improperly by making contact with Milligan.
Orr was photographed leaving Prince of Wales Hospital on Tuesday night, prompting police to investigate his actions. Orr said through his management group that he had not and would not act in an unlawful manner.
Bird's reputation continues to suffer as a result of the allegations. The NSW five-eighth had been nominated for an indigenous award but yesterday his nomination was suspended pending the outcome of his court hearing.
Bird was one of four nominees in the outstanding achievement in NRL category at the annual Deadly Awards.
The Deadly Awards will be held on October 9, the day after Bird's court case is scheduled to begin

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24251804-2722,00.html

Interesting to see there are MORE excuses and blame shifting and victim status BUT I dont see a DENIAL.:sarcasm:

I wonder where the concern would lie if it was Turds sister who was glassed????

The bit I bolded indicates SOMEONE should be held accountable at least.

Last edited:

sharks8601

Juniors
its you 2 or 3 who ONLY listen to the media and believe every thing they say
you dont know the truth
so shut the hell up

STSAE

Juniors
LOL, you really look desperate to convince yourself your right I see.

Mate theres no need to get defensive, you look like you have something to hide.

BTW I read b4 you said we were coming in and ruining the thread. Its YOU thats over reacting and acting like a goose. We are just trying to get our opinion accross.

What do you fear, the truth???

sharks8601

Juniors
no that at all
but you have no idea whats going on. i dont know what happened but you seem to want to hang him out to dry from what you have read through the media

STSAE

Juniors
no that at all
but you have no idea whats going on. i dont know what happened but you seem to want to hang him out to dry from what you have read through the media

Well I can only go on whats reported in the media and form my own opinions on the matter.

Are you saying you NEVER formed an opinion on Coffs Harbour???? Toad Carney??? The Boggs salary crapp????

We ALL have the right to form an opinion last time I checked.

If whats been reported is only 1/2 correct well the bloke deserves all he gets in my opinion.

And ive seen ZERO proof from ANYONE as yet to show me the media have it even remotely wrong.

I actually know someone involved at your club. But I wont repeat what ive heard about the incident and the people involved, cos that wouldnt be legal and may damage the site we are on.

Why is yours or anyone elses opinion better or more valid than mine????

Surely

Post Whore
Well I can only go on whats reported in the media and form my own opinions on the matter.

Are you saying you NEVER formed an opinion on Coffs Harbour???? Toad Carney??? The Boggs salary crapp????

We ALL have the right to form an opinion last time I checked.

If whats been reported is only 1/2 correct well the bloke deserves all he gets in my opinion.

And ive seen ZERO proof from ANYONE as yet to show me the media have it even remotely wrong.

I actually know someone involved at your club. But I wont repeat what ive heard about the incident and the people involved, cos that wouldnt be legal and may damage the site we are on.

Why is yours or anyone elses opinion better or more valid than mine????

So do you think it is fair to villify a person based on opinion.

Would it not be better to form an opinion on "turd" as you call him once the facts are out and been heard in a court of law.

Do you think lynching "n****rs" was a good thing too ?

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Mods

It really is time to make this a troll free zone.

STSAE and TITAN1 are really not contributing to anything here and seem to just be intent on agitating.

If the mods make the request I am sure posters can actually be banned from entering individual forums.

P.S. This is pure troll agitation. We'll see how it goes hahahaha

Surely

Post Whore
Mods

STSAE and TITAN1 are really not contributing to anything here and seem to just be intent on agitating.

If the mods make the request I am sure posters can actually be banned from entering individual forums.
P.S. This is pure troll agitation. We'll see how it goes hahahaha

I can remove their posts, I think admin would have to ban them from the forum.

Use the report post function state your concerns and they will take it from there.

macnaz

Staff member
Mods

LOL "NOT CONTRIBUTING" just because they say things that differ from your opinion doesnt mean they arent contributing. So what do u suggest ? every thread should only contain the same point of view. Maybe they should just lock this stupid thread anyway , as nothing more can be said or gained until after the court case anyway.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Apparently Andrew Moore has stated that from the information he has received from his sources bird has played his last game for the shark because he lied to Zapps and they will sack him no matter what the out come is
no you posted a link to a story in which the qld police minister attempts to justify the incident involving bird in brisbane. if you care to read the thread in the nrl forum relating to the incident you will see there is ample information which casts grave doubts on the police version of events that night. you used this story to attempt to prove bird was given his first 'chance' as a result which is totally false.

PJ

First Grade
For Titan and STAE a question I would like an honest answer to please.

Given you guys seem to have him guilty, what would be your reaction should he be found not guilty, or the case not even go to trial, the Sharks sack him regardless and your team signed him?

Status
Not open for further replies.