What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Lite

Juniors
LOL "NOT CONTRIBUTING" just because they say things that differ from your opinion doesnt mean they arent contributing. So what do u suggest ?

It's one thing to have your say, but constantly repeating yourself in dozens of posts really adds nothing to the discussion.

I've never understood posting in another team's forum.....but that's just me.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Greg Bird's sister blames Cronulla Sharks
Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read | August 28, 2008

THE family of Greg Bird has broken its silence on the alleged assault which threatens the career of the Cronulla lock, claiming the club and the NRL deserve to wear some of the blame.
Speaking from the family home near Maitland, Bird's sister, Lacey, 19, yesterday said she was disappointed her older brother was being publicly vilified for allegedly glassing the face of his American girlfriend, Katie Milligan.
Bird, 24, has been stood down indefinitely by the Sharks, with the matter to be heard in court on October 8.
Regardless of the outcome, Bird faces having his four-year contract, believed to be worth $350,000 a season, torn up while the NRL has indicated it could ban him for life if he is found guilty.
Bird's sister said the league and the Sharks should also be held to account, claiming they were part of the system that took her brother out of the family home and moved him to Sydney when he was 17.
"A teenage kid has to go straight to an adult looking after themselves," Lacey Bird said.
"All the clubs really do is dump them at a home and tell them what training days they've got.
"They're not really looking after them. They're just dumping them at places. If they want to take teenage kids away from their families at such a young age, they should take responsibility for their actions."
The comments from Bird's family were challenged last night by both the NRL and the Sharks.
"Clubs are constantly looking to improve their practices in dealing with the transition for young players," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.
"The youth competition is built around education and welfare requirements.
"Certainly, clubs are conscious of the need to continually invest in these programs."
Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia absolved his club of any blame, pointing out Bird had undertaken the NRL's education and welfare programs.
"You need to remember that Greg wasn't stolen from his family," Zappia said.
"His family would have had some input into his decision to leave home and come to Sydney. I can understand his sister's concern because blood is thicker than water."
Bird is extremely close to his family and it was only last year that he took his mother, Iris, to the Dally M Awards at Sydney's Town Hall.
Lacey Bird said her mother, who has remarried after separating from Bird's father, was too distraught to talk about the situation and it had also been a tough time for the rest of
the family.
Lacey said she was not worried about facing a potential public backlash for standing up for her brother.
"I'm 100 per cent up to do this for him and for my mum," she said. "I've spoken to him a few times. He's in a pretty bad state as well. He's telling me not to worry but how am I meant not to worry about him?"
While Bird remains in hiding, his manager Gavin Orr was yesterday forced to release a statement denying he had acted improperly by making contact with Milligan.
Orr was photographed leaving Prince of Wales Hospital on Tuesday night, prompting police to investigate his actions. Orr said through his management group that he had not and would not act in an unlawful manner.
Bird's reputation continues to suffer as a result of the allegations. The NSW five-eighth had been nominated for an indigenous award but yesterday his nomination was suspended pending the outcome of his court hearing.
Bird was one of four nominees in the outstanding achievement in NRL category at the annual Deadly Awards.
The Deadly Awards will be held on October 9, the day after Bird's court case is scheduled to begin

source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24251804-2722,00.html

Bravo,Bravo Lacey

Full marks for defending your family, looks like the gene pool split at some time in your family tree

1) if Greg Bird stayed at home when he was 17, and not followed his dream to become a professional footballer, he may very well be eraning the average wage like so may of us true rugby league followers! and not one of the NRL's highest paid footballers

2) No-one, at any stage of Greg Bird's time as a professional footballer sat him down and educated him in the art of binge drinking or disrespect, that from my experience is something that you grow up with.

3) he's defense of "my friend did it" shows just how big a coward he is, to do that to your so called best mate is down right unbelievable

4) I hope that when all is cut and dried, both Greg his Family and His American girlfriend see what has happened as being a huge mistake and come out the other side better people

In saying that I see that the NRL has to take a strong stance and show a zero tolerance by de-registering his contract for a minimum 3 year period, thus leaving him time for REHABILITATION and some soul searching

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
It's one thing to have your say, but constantly repeating yourself in dozens of posts really adds nothing to the discussion.

I've never understood posting in another team's forum.....but that's just me.

this shows your shallowness Miller, this topic is not one of how your team was robbed in a penalty count, or dropped their bundle under pressure so on so forth, this topic is one of a severe misdemeanor that has an effect on the league community due to the severity of the matter.

I do agree with almost all that has been posted, but defending his "ALLEGED" offense is not on, the damage it has caused not only his family, club, team mates and NRL is bigger than Greg Bird, at the end of the day he has been charged so we should be removing the the word alleged?

Surely

Post Whore
this shows your shallowness Miller, this topic is not one of how your team was robbed in a penalty count, or dropped their bundle under pressure so on so forth, this topic is one of a severe misdemeanor that has an effect on the league community due to the severity of the matter.

I do agree with almost all that has been posted, but defending his "ALLEGED" offense is not on, the damage it has caused not only his family, club, team mates and NRL is bigger than Greg Bird, at the end of the day he has been charged so we should be removing the the word alleged?

so lindy chamberlain was guilty then ?

Inferno

Coach

Fugg me, if everyone followed your line of thought we wouldn't have any criminal lawyers.

He has been charged, he has not been convicted in a court of law. There is a big difference there mate.

SharkShocked

Bench
Truth will come out eventually, until then it's all speculation, i have heard a couple of different rumours as well.

I think given the website removal of his profile and other such rumours regarding his "situation" with the club, he is as good as gorne.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
well maybe he won't be now that the sponsor pressure is removed.

& I agree with the others on here about removing the trolls & deleting their shyte posts.

Most people are getting the inside info on here & know that the version of events that took place is very different than the media version & court version. All these idiot trolls have him hung already despite absolutely no information.
FTR this forum knows more than anybody in the media is printing.
There is a perfectly good thread in the NRL forum all these trolls can go & post in.
Look 4 posts above mine & you can see one of the inbreds has asked how Bird would feel if hi sister was glassed. NOBODY has been glassed so how is that question relevant & how is it not unsubstantiated rumour.?

Lets f*ck them off now.

carcharias

Immortal
It was a night just like this last Saturday, when the NRL star, 24, and his mates met Ms Milligan, also 24, at the Golden Sheaf hotel in Double Bay.
Bird had already had a couple of drinks at a Surry Hills hotel, say his friends, celebrating the Sharks' shock win over the Roosters that afternoon.
Katie's parents fly to her side
Ms Milligan, who attended the hotel with some girlfriends visiting from the US, allegedly had an argument with Bird some time after 11pm.
Witnesses said she accused one of her friends of flirting with Bird.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24253250-5001021,00.html

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
kara lawrence hang your head in shame you shyte reporter.

1. The Sharks played on Friday, not Sat afternoon
2. They did not leave alone.

carcharias

Immortal
kara lawrence hang your head in shame you shyte reporter.

1. The Sharks played on Friday, not Sat afternoon
2. They did not leave alone.

not only that

what about the ''shock win'' bit.

I used to go out with a chick of the same name...I wonder if it is her.

millersnose

Post Whore
well reefy it seems greg birds sister thinks the sharks should take some of the blame

how do you feel about that?

in one of the most amazing mispeaks in the history of sticking your foot in your mouth

Last edited:

samshark

Juniors

Way wrong my friend. You dont remove the word just because someone has been charged. The word 'alleged' will remain until if and when he is found guilty in court and thats the way people should treat this situation. The prosecution must prove all elements or in simpler terms 'he who asserts must prove'.

Some people are getting way out of hand with this. Ive said this before, at the moment it is largely a 'circumstancial case'. People dont know what happened. And unless the victim has provided a statement in the last few days even the police dont know what happened.

Bird obviously stuffed up afterwards by calling his mate but there are any number of scenarios that could of occurred inside his unit. And until its proven that Bird plunged the glass into her face as everybody is making out then people shouldnt be crucifying him.

Bird obviously stuffed up afterwards by calling his mate but there are any number of scenarios that could of occurred inside his unit. And until its proven that Bird plunged the glass into her face as everybody is making out then people shouldnt be crucifying him.

Your use of the phrase "stuffed up" is frightening.

I'm predicting that Milligan will make a statement in the comfort of a Martin Place Law Firm's office.

We shouldn't have to wait to hear the truth. The truth isn't a set of circumstances woven into a set of undisputable facts. The truth is the truth.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Hypothetical situation

A guy wakes up after a big night & is on the couch.
Another person starts annoying him verbally & physically.
Said person has a kitchen utensil in their hand & is in an agitated state.
Said person gets really wound up & goes to strike the prone guy in a fit of rage, whilst in the process of standing up
The guy blocks the strike, the annoyer falls over onto the ground & has been injured by the utensil severely, either by the block, ricochet or impact of the fall.
Guy takes the injured party hurriedly to get medical treatment for injury.
On the way the guy who has a high profile rings a confidante for advice on managing a bad situation.
Confidante replies that it could be extremely bad if the media gets a hold of the situation so deny, deny, deny until we get in control & assess things.
knowing full well that there is no privacy with medical records or other PUBLIC departments, the guy takes the advice.
When quizzed at the medical centre on how the injury occurred, the guy & the injured party stupidly & spontaneously implicate somebody else in the ACCIDENT in an attempt to deceive the media & public organisations who leak information.
Guy & confidante realises the mistake when medical centre brings law enforcement in on the action.
Guy organises a professional to assist the implicated party & remove them from blame.
Nobody at this point has spoken to anybody other than medical professionals.
2 hours has passed.

Another individual was recently arrested as a joke by police officers who were caught lying when trying to defend their action at a later enquiry & CCTV footage completely refuted their claims & showed them to be liars & protecting their own interests in what should have been a media circus.

_________

Eye witnesses are non existent at the accident & the only things that were heard were everyday noises & conversations.
Remnants of the serious injury were visible where the accident took place.
The media have gotten hold of the situation & have started their process of creating a story from nothing.
The individuals employer gets a hold of the story & rings for an explanation.
The version the employer gets is not complete or accurate as the guy has still not met his confidante & is still trying to keep a lid on the media.
LAw enforcement release information that investigation is underway into an ALLEGED ATTACK at the guys residence.
4 hours has passed

With the situation now totally out of control, confidante advises that no statements are to be given & no answers are to be supplied & that the guy should proceed to nearest legal department after a meeting with legal advisors.

Department asks for a statement which was refused under legal advice.
Department asks the guy if he was responsible for an attack on at his premises to which he replied no.
Department charges the guy with an offence, based on circumstantial evidence, hearsay & suspicion. f there is no bail until after further legal hearings.
Guy is kept in custody until hearing.
Police release information that a person was attacked with a kitchen utensil by the guy & that the person has multiple specific injuries. Injuries which to this day, have not been verified or released
24 hours has passed

At hearing the guy is asked for statement. Refused.
Asked if he was responsible for an attack & replied no.
He is then allowed to leave on conditions & orders are set in place that prevent him from speaking to the injured individual, even against the wishes of the injured individual.

At this point there have been zero statements from the only 2 people who know what has happened.
Ludicrous allegations by departments & media have tried & convicted the guy by this time. His chance of a fair trial is zero.
Every media report to date has gross inaccuracies & complete fabrications in some instances.
The public who have been force fed a diet of lies are in outrage & condemn the guy.
Guy is then sacked by his employer with a termination payment in process, but with years of payments missing.
Other business's cease dealings with the guys employer on the basis of media reports.
48 hours has passed.
End of hypothetical

This is a "true" story as reported by Australian media this week.
Greg Bird then rang his best mate & said "I've just told the hospital, How do you feel about that?
Greg Bird plays for Cronulla Sharks & is 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts