What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Coastal Shark said:
Do we throw the Greg Bird's on the rubbish pile or place him in the too hard bin? I for one don't think so. I am not a social worker and such warm and fuzzy thinker/doer but I've seen enough in life to recognise that a. we all make mistakes just that some people make bigger ones than others and b. we should try and help others..

Bird obviously has issues, and sometimes the best thing you can do for people is to pull them up & make them accountable for their actions. It just may save him from more serious trouble down the track.

blacktip-reefy said:
there will be no finding. There will be no charges. it was an accidennt.
Sorry Reefy, but that bus has already left ... Bird was charged last week

cheese said:
Just heard on 2GB they're currently painting over birds image on the advertisement trailer at taren point.
Bird is gone. Let's focus on the semis ...

carcharias

Immortal
doubt Ricky has given up on him.

He said on 2ky this morning that he was at Birds place/nest yesterday with him.

He just said his days are pretty quiet.
Has his dad with him...that was about all he would divulge.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Ricky is worried about him from a player welfare point of view, which is fair enough for a coach.

But it won't be Ricky making the final call to terminate his contract.

macnaz

Staff member
Over 18000 posts from Reefy...Holy crap i cant believe that people really have had to read the utter bullsh*t he writes that many times. Im sorry to anyone who has suffered.

Over 18000 posts from Reefy...Holy crap i cant believe that people really have had to read the utter bullsh*t he writes that many times. Im sorry to anyone who has suffered.

You don't have to apologise and you don't have to read his posts. No-one does. I choose to read all posts that way I get all opinions, right, wrong or just misinformed.

Eion

First Grade
I for one am over Birdy. Where there's smoke (and there is enough for everyone to choke on) there's fire. Even if he gets off I still want him gone as long as he doesn't run around in another NRL side against us. ie The NRL would need to deregister him which would be difficult if he has no charges to answer or is found not guilty. Not an easy one....I don't envy Zap and Sticky.

spider

Coach
not really the actions of a club supporting him

seemingly bowing to the sponsors, or upholding the clubs image...

Omnishark2

Juniors
Don't know about you Reefy, but I'm not enjoying any aspect of the Bird discussion at all ... it is a nightmare for the club to deal with.

And it still has potential to derail our semis campaign if any internal splits develop.

It's best to put it aside, play the semis & let other decisions get made later. But don't fool yourself, there will only ever be one outcome regarding Bird's future at the Sharks - he doesn't have one.

Special K

Coach
You can't really expect the club to keep his face all over posters and such?

They will be trying to keep him as low profile as they can. I don't think having his face around town will bring any good

PJ

First Grade
Let it quiten down over the Summer. If he has been acquited or the charges are dropped expect a break to help the club out greatly.

spider

Coach
i dont think this will heal with a band aid solution

but if the club choose to sack him, and he does not go to court - there will be some dollars involved in that case possibly

interesting times ahead and some very big decisons i would think

samshark

Juniors
in lieu of millignas statements (where she was dispponited at some inaccuracies reported), could there be a possibility of the charge being down graded???

to what i dont know - but i do know GBH is a bad charge if convicted

There is already an assault ABH charge in place. He was charged with both. If there is no permanant injury/disfigurement, which at the moment looks the case the GBH wont stand up.

samshark

Juniors
I've mentioned it earlier in this thread but I reckon Bird will cop a further charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Interestingly there was some mention of the police paying a visit over the weekend to serve some paperwork on him. This may well be related. If there is evidence another person is involved then we have a conspiracy.

This wont happen. Very few offenders and alleged offenders ever actually tell the truth. Making up alibis, blaming other people and other things is all part of the game. Not sure this offence actually exixts anyway. Ive never seen it used. There is an offence for 'Make false statement' but Bird hasnt gone on record.

samshark

Juniors
I stated earlier that I wasn't going to make any comments about Bird until we hear ALL the evidence not just what some journo or neighbour or forummer thinks he/she knows.

Two things really stick out like the dogs proverbials for me:

1/ All the bush lawyers on here thinking they know what happened. No-one on here does unless you've been talking to Bird or Milligan or their respective solicitors. This I highly doubt and even if one of them did speak to you I would suggest that there is no way in hell that you'd be told the complete truth.

2/ The f*cken double standards. Watmough has an AVO slapped on him and comments made by the presiding Magistrate seem to indicate to me that a. she told the truth and b. he told porkies. She was abused/assaulted on more than one occasion over a period of time. Now Bird's alleged attack on Milligan is quite serious, if proven, however for Watmough to subject his ex to years of mistreatment is not far behind. When you think of the non-visible damage done to her it certainly ups the ante. Yes, Milligan will have some non-visible scars too but from my experience (I do actually have some) or will she. Again we don't know as nothing has been proven. It is ALL alleged at this point in time. Unlike Watmough it's been through the courts and decided.

And I'll say it again - if Bird did what he is accused of AND is found guilty then he wll go to gaol. There is no place n our club, the NRL or the community for this type of attack, but people do deserve a 2nd chance in life.

Do we throw the Greg Bird's on the rubbish pile or place him in the too hard bin? I for one don't think so. I am not a social worker and such warm and fuzzy thinker/doer but I've seen enough in life to recognise that a. we all make mistakes just that some people make bigger ones than others and b. we should try and help others.

Old Jack Gibson didn't give up so easy on players or community members. Some older forummers on here will remember Michael Wicks. There was an article in the daily tele just after Jack died. Can't link cause my son's at work. Daily Tele 14 May 2008.

I'm not saying he's innocent. I'm not saying he's guilty. Let the courts decide.

This is Australia where we either chop down the tall poppy or we can give the bloke a fair go.

My rant and feel free to blaze away.

Its not double standards. The big difference is Watmough was never actually charged with anything by police.

samshark

Juniors
FYI also, unless the charges are dropped or Bird pleads guilty, which I dont think either will happen, then this matter wont be resolved on the 8th October. That day at court is only a mention not a hearing. If the case still proceeds to a hearing it could be Nov, Dec even next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts