What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

Juniors
Seriously if hes guilty, i will personally call Todd Carney (cos hes on his break) to piss on Greg Birds face. Hell we can all go play firemen and put out the fire on his face.

The Colonel

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24237064-14823,00.html

Sharks set to stand down Bird

By Steve Gee and Sydney Confidential's Holly Byrnes | August 25, 2008 01:46pm

CRONULLA Sharks star Greg Bird is expected to be stood down by the NRL club today after being released on bail for allegedly glassing his girlfriend. The Sharks have called a press conference for 2.30pm to discuss the matter. The club has previously taken a hardline stance with wayward players, sacking Tevita Latu after he was convicted of breaking teenager Brooke Peninton's nose outside a Cronulla service station last July.
Bird faced Sutherland Local Court today charged with two counts of assault following a violent argument with his live-in girlfriend Katie Milligan at his beachfront Cronulla home early Sunday.
One of the charges refers to alleged attack on Ms Milligan.
The other assault charge refers to an incident in January on another woman.
Ms Milligan, 24, a US citizen, was to undergo surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital for a fractured eye socket and lacerated eye following the alleged assault.
Bird was placed on strict conditional bail prohibiting him from contacting or approaching the Ms Milligan and another witness, Greg Watson.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Matt Zalunardo opposed bail due to the "high degree of violence" involved in the assault.
Sgt Zalundardo said the offence carried a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.
He added Bird had actively attempted to deceive police during investigations into the attack.
The court was told Bird allegedly sent a text message to Mr Watson warning him from speaking to police.
"My manager is helping sort this s*** out", Bird said in a text message.
According to a statement of facts, neighbours told police they were awoken inside the Boorima Place Apartment block by a loud thud about 7.30am before hearing the sound of a male voice arguing with a woman.
One witness told police Bird allegedly screamed "Stop being a f*****' idiot".
Ms Milligan also allegedly screamed at Bird: "Why did you do this to me?", as the pair left the unit.
The court was told that when Bird replied "I didn't do it'', she responded: "Yes, you did''.
Bird then drove Ms Milligan to Sutherland Hospital where she was treated for an eye injury before being transferred to Prince of Wales Hospital.
Ms Milligan had been dating Bird for nine months long distance before moving to Australia eight weeks ago to step up the relationship with the league pivot.

Ms Milligan, from Florida, is understood to have met Bird during an off season holiday in Las Vegas, staying in touch with the NSW State of Origin five-eighth over email and telephone.
Milligan was due to begin studying a law degree before the attack occurred.
Do you know Katie Milligan? Tell us in confidence by calling our newsdesk on 02 9288 3413.
Magistrate Beverley Schurr ordered a brief of evidence be served on October 7 and granted Bird bail.
The matter has been adjourned to the Downing Centre on October 8 - two days after the NRL Grand Final.

Dragon

Coach
Condolences to sharks fans. Just what you blokes didn't need in the run to up to the finals.

The club can go one of two ways from here. Rally together and fire the f*ck up, or let the wheels fall off a great season..

*hmm that last line makes no sense, wheels falling off a season....never mind me*

shrug

Juniors
Clearly, I never post on these forums. But fk it, today I have to.

As a steadfast lover of NRL (I just can't take to any of the other 'football' codes, and I make no apologies for that), I must say that I am gutted. Why do so many of our players appear to have no idea how to act?

As a Sharks fan, I had not been this excited about the final weeks of a season since 1988, when, as a little kid, I watched my team take out the minor premiership (Gavin Miller, you are still my hero).

I only hope that our team can draw inspiration from the Raiders, a team which, despite losing it's 'star' player (or should I say- their 'star' player losing his mind AGAIN) - has managed to lift and put in some solid and finals-worthy performances.

As far as what's being reported today, since I heard the news this morning, I am totally disgusted. I feel sick. If what is being reported is in fact true, I wish I had never applauded him for anything he has done on the field. That may sound extreme, but if what has been reported is true, he truly is a subhuman motherfker.

Having voiced my hopes for my team, I must say that my thoughts and are primarily with his girlfriend. I hope and pray that her surgery is successful and that her eye, and eye socket, have no permanent damage. I hope that her family and friends can be close by to support her during her recovery.

KoTH, Azzah, Quigs - I agree wholeheartedly with your posts.

Take care Sharks fans.

Quigs

Immortal
& if evidence shows she told bird she was a swans supporter?

provocation?

Gidday Greggie, how are they hanging?

While your here mate can you point Young Jas to the Kitty Litter.

He needs some training.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
JAILBIRD.jpg

coolumsharkie

Referee
I meant to post this here but posted in the main forum by mistake... Anyway here'tis.

Story time.

Coolum Pub has a smoking section at the front of the public bar, which means that it's adjacent to the main road off the car park, to which has now become the scene of the occasional outburst of SPS (Small Penis Syndrome) a.k.a Wankers leaving in there hotted up ve-hickles and smoking it up a.k.a burning rubber a.k.a wasting money.

While having a few drinks at the Cooly pub with the afternoon crowd last Friday, this one tosser tries to do a burn out right in front of us, then gets out of the carpark onto the main road and has another go, the crowd responds with comments of disgust, disbelief, laughter and the "wanker" calls that go with this ridiculous act of masturbation.

Now a bloke who was there to witness this in the crowd, who I know as a fairly decent hard working lad, nice bloke to talk to yadda yadda, made a comment to his mates along the lines of "what a dickhead" etc then proceeds to get in his car not 5 minutes later and repeats the act on the main drag.

30k hotted up late model Ford ( I dunno the make, not a car enthusiast) loses it infront of everyone, and ends up stacking it into the nearby palm trees across a pathway that people and kids use to walk, ride thier pushies along on their way home etc. Total right off, embarrassing act of stupidity.. cops on the scene in less than 3 minutes, blows .055, no insurance. f**ked up royal.

Now I hear that this tool has just gained his license back from 3 prior infringements in a motor ve-hickle, and basically has ruined his chance at obtaining another one for many years to come.

The point being, He could have killed someone, he was witness to the jeers of the crowd from the previous dickhead, and he's financially f**ked for a good while to come. I don't get it, I'm definitely no saint and have done some pretty stupiud things that I have regretted in my time but what is this madness in society today?

I went to the Hoodo Gurus concert last night and every person needs I.D to get into a place to go see a band, you can't enjoy yourself without some monkey, that has the social skills of a kindergarten bully, frowning down upon you from some sort of collective genius authority, that is now ingrained at nearly all social outlets that serve a cold beer.

I dunno, this Bird thing reflects a society of youth that has no respect and is way out of control, and trying to be controlled by useless bureaucratic political correctness funded by insurance companies and big company policy that couldn't give a flying f**k about the regular joe.

I might be getting on in years but where is the respect for your elders and the boot up the arse that I used to cop to keep me in line, the very thing that landed me on my feet from my youthfull foolishness?

Terry-Randal

Juniors
this bird is a deranged idiot hes destroyed his carreer his life his image his club his fans all for a stupid temperment. Hope the gals alright shes a yank and they are good allies .

Status
Not open for further replies.