What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis: 18 mths good behaviour bond for mid range DUI, speeding offences

firechild

First Grade
What another magistrate thinks is irrelevant, he wasn't the magistrate who presided over GI's case.
Except for the fact that this magistrate is saying they will not show leniency because the defendant is not aboriginal. The first magistrate didn't specifically say that GI was shown leniency because he was, the second magistrate has inferred this and then made a decision that it would have an influence in their verdict.

I know you have a very simple mind but to get my point, focus on the second magistrate, not the first one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Except for the fact that this magistrate is saying they will not show leniency because the defendant is not aboriginal. The first magistrate didn't specifically say that GI was shown leniency because he was, the second magistrate has inferred this and then made a decision that it would have an influence in their verdict.

I know you have a very simple mind but to get my point, focus on the second magistrate, not the first one.
How shit must your argument be for you to resort to petty childish insults. :joy:

If you require complex thought, perhaps look to what the second magistrate actually said - he listed a range of items covering Inglis' character, Aboriginality among them. To isolate it out is completely disingenuous when it was a collective of characteristics that guided his citation.

That's not to mention the absurdity of your implication that somehow Aboriginality entitles a defendant to leniency in the courts. They make up 27% of the prison population in Australia despite only being 3% of the overall population.

TheFrog

Coach
That's not to mention the absurdity of your implication that somehow Aboriginality entitles a defendant to leniency in the courts.
Being an aboriginal NRL player doesn't seem to be a huge disadvantage when facing the beak.

firechild

First Grade
How shit must your argument be for you to resort to petty childish insults. :joy:

If you require complex thought, perhaps look to what the second magistrate actually said - he listed a range of items covering Inglis' character, Aboriginality among them. To isolate it out is completely disingenuous when it was a collective of characteristics that guided his citation.

It might be disingenuous if I hadn't pointed out twice that it was only one of a number of factors. My point is, it shouldn't be a factor at all and if it had been raised that a defendant was not white then it wouldn't matter of it was one of a thousand factors, the magistrate would be called out on it.

That's not to mention the absurdity of your implication that somehow Aboriginality entitles a defendant to leniency in the courts. They make up 27% of the prison population in Australia despite only being 3% of the overall population.

The implication is not mine and those statistics are irrelevant to my point. My point is that when comparing these 2 cases, a magistrate claimed that there were 3 factors in not giving the same leniency as was given to GI, one of which was the fact that he was not aboriginal. Skirt the point all you like but you haven't actually refuted the point.

The statistics are driven by a number of things outside the courts so isn't necessarily a reflection on leniency. Culture and policing are significant factors.

Reflector

Juniors
If any one wants a good marketing gimmick, how about GI Sickbags? After the sickly overkill by the media, I reckon you'd make a killing, especially here.

I know I spent a bit on the Billy Slater ones last season, and had to order a fresh batch after his shoulder charge was down-graded.

Then after the GF when he was getting booed on stage, I went through an entire box of tissues mopping up my white male tears...

Valheru

Coach

It was just an odd comment by that magistrate.

He could quite easily have said "each case is treated on its merit and these are the reasons why i won't show leniency". Instead he listed GIs race, public profile and community stature as reasons why he wouldn't show the same leniency.

Bizarre.

Timmah

Staff member
It was just an odd comment by that magistrate.

He could quite easily have said "each case is treated on its merit and these are the reasons why i won't show leniency". Instead he listed GIs race, public profile and community stature as reasons why he wouldn't show the same leniency.

Bizarre.
His intent was fairly clear, to illustrate that this person didn't possess the supposed qualities GI does.

Not to mention the facts of old mates case were significantly different.

TheFrog

Coach
His intent was fairly clear, to illustrate that this person didn't possess the supposed qualities GI does.

John Singleton got away with doing 160km/h in his Bentley.

I think the qualities we're talking about here are money and fame.

To quote Bob Dylan, it makes me ashamed to live in a land where justice is a game.

Timmah

Staff member
John Singleton got away with doing 160km/h in his Bentley.

I think the qualities we're talking about here are money and fame.

To quote Bob Dylan, it makes me ashamed to live in a land where justice is a game.
What, 15-20 years ago? :joy: keep up

firechild

First Grade

He pointed out 3 qualities, one of which was that GI was aboriginal.

He could have, and should have, kept it to the facts of the case (his BA level was higher, even though they were both mid-range but he also was unlikely to have been driving for several hours before that reading, he also was not speeding). I don't have a problem with this bloke not being given leniency, he blew over double the legal limit and deserves to get whatever punishment comes his way. I do have a problem with GI getting off but the magistrate that let him off didn't cite his race as a reason for that.

So my complaint of not about the outcome of the second bloke's case which is where the comment came from. My point is that if GI was white and the second bloke was any other race and a similar comment had been made, this comment alone probably gets some headlines and any journo calling it out would get support. If any journo mentioned this actual comment in an article, they'd get slammed from all corners and labelled a racist.

Timmah

Staff member
He pointed out 3 qualities, one of which was that GI was aboriginal.

He could have, and should have, kept it to the facts of the case (his BA level was higher, even though they were both mid-range but he also was unlikely to have been driving for several hours before that reading, he also was not speeding). I don't have a problem with this bloke not being given leniency, he blew over double the legal limit and deserves to get whatever punishment comes his way. I do have a problem with GI getting off but the magistrate that let him off didn't cite his race as a reason for that.

So my complaint of not about the outcome of the second bloke's case which is where the comment came from. My point is that if GI was white and the second bloke was any other race and a similar comment had been made, this comment alone probably gets some headlines and any journo calling it out would get support. If any journo mentioned this actual comment in an article, they'd get slammed from all corners and labelled a racist.
We'll have to agree to disagree, the entire point made - IMO - was a confluence of the three qualities mentioned, rather than any of them individually.

Either way we can all agree GI got off lightly.

firechild

First Grade
You'll need to ask @firechild, I was merely using the term he put forward. I previously used 'matters' or 'items'. Either way it's splitting hairs.

I just went back and re-read each of my replies. I called them factors each and every time until my most recent post which used the term you had previously used. However: