What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

Nightward

Juniors
I don't know what society you live in, but its not too appealing. You can't compare a usually minor incident like speeding to violence against women. I would NEVER hit a woman and don't know of anyone who would. From these repetitive incidents (Stewart, Bird, Inglis etc) it is clear that attitudes towards women are a problem amongst rugby league players. So what, just let this slide while it puts the game into disrepute? He needs to be punished if he is guilty regardless of how good a player he is.

Ehh... this, not so much. I think it's more to do with the fact that players seem to think they're immune from the consequences of their choices. In the past, things may have been supressed or no penalty applied, but they seem to have taken that to mean that everything they do- no matter how outrageous- is either OK or will be taken care of for them.

i wonder if Inglis had had problems in the past that we haven't heard about.

Maybe. But then, having endured an abusive or unpleasant upbringing (if that's what you're getting at; don't want to put words in your mouth) is still not a good enough reason for hitting your girlfriend. On the money he's making and the level he plays at, getting help and support would have been easy enough were it a problem, and had he wanted to do so.

_Johnsy

Referee
Thats right, you do it to. You beat your wives, hit your girlfriends, defecate on walls, glass people, womanize, get smashed on the weekend, wrestle your mates, verbally abuse strangers, drink and drive, call woman s**ts, its who you ALL are.

Mate I don't know who you are, but let me assure you of one thing I do NONE of the above, it maybe you and sadly that says all that needs to be said about you.

How the hell is honking your horn too much the same as assaulting a woman. In short you are an a-grade farkwit. How's that for eye level.
?

gong_eagle

First Grade
993087-dtsplash-inglis-assault.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...r-sally-robinson/story-e6freuy9-1225760017405

The couple arrived separately at the home yesterday, two blackened eyes visible on the face of Ms Robinson.
She appeared to be trying to hide the injuries behind her hair as she got out of her car.

any man that hits a woman is a grub and a coward

DJShaksta

First Grade
not too sure about the underworld criminals.. but i DO know he is a confident, non-smoker/drinker who has pride in his culture/people and as a result is a great role model for young aboriginals..

isn't a bright spark? he sure knows how to make $$$$... i'd say he is quite a SMART businessman..

Yes, supporting the 9/11 Terrorist attacks make him a model citizen. Mundine is a farkwit, Known fact. Its also a known fact that being near him turns others into farkwits, EG. Sonny Bill.

This thread is about GI - who was rumored to be a farkwit but has taken that giant leap out of the closet of farkwitism and confirmed it for all of us.

I feel for his girlfriend.

northwest9

Juniors
The irony of "it's not his go".

It's everyones go.

Thats right, you do it to. You beat your wives, hit your girlfriends, defecate on walls, glass people, womanize, get smashed on the weekend, wrestle your mates, fight randoms, verbally abuse strangers, honk your horns too much, speed, drink and drive, call woman s**ts, call men wankers ruff ruff ruff, its who you ALL are.

Hands up who hasn't done one of the above?
Cheers

OMG WTF

guilty as charged on the bolded stuff, but you mate, wow, just wow.

where are you from?

Sleep

Juniors
Nightward, Michael Vick went to jail for dogfighting but has recently been reinstated by the NFL and will play this year.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
2 pages of Inglis this morning, front two pages, Luke Pomerbach (Who has played cricket for Australia) who allegedly assualted police page 15, small snipet.

Courier Mail

When I watch league, I watch it to see Greg Inglis. I have seen him live 4 or 5 times and what an athlete. DO I care about what he does off the field? NO.
WHY NOT?
It's none of my business and he is not to me a role model. I am not a model but will role myself.
"but he is to our kids"
Great, show them the Inglis on the field and get them to do the same thing, ON THE FIELD.
"but who will teach our kids to be nice young blokes who do this charity thing?"
YOU ya dickheads.

But seriously, and I wasn't joking before.

Inglis has been charged, and he has to face the music. Does this mean he shouldn't be able to play league again? No way. There are many reformed or previously convicted criminals who walk the streets each day, work, lead normal lives and move on from their mistakes, so so can this guy as A MEMBER OF SOCIETY, a society that we all live in and have to take responsibilty for. Casting him out certainly isn't sweeping the problem under the rug (thats now a heap), it's sweeping the problem away.

Look at what a fine achievement Dell is. With a bit of heart and help the guy is now in a position of great leadership in his club and is respected by all, if I may speak on your behalf.

The irony of "it's not his go".

It's everyones go.

Thats right, you do it to. You beat your wives, hit your girlfriends, defecate on walls, glass people, womanize, get smashed on the weekend, wrestle your mates, fight randoms, verbally abuse strangers, honk your horns too much, speed, drink and drive, call woman s**ts, call men wankers ruff ruff ruff, its who you ALL are.

Hands up who hasn't done one of the above? Yeah some major differences in cases but Inglis is just another very small part of a big problem.

All in all when it comes down to it I love no sport more than league, but there are so many bigger pictures. Corporates, banks and politicians bleed you dry, morally, financially, week in week out, but why is nothing said?

Much, has the media sucked you all in. Get with it.

I'll give you that rant at eye level.

Cheers

You are seriously a wanker. So basically your saying its ok to hit a woman and give her black eyes are you?

shear_joy9

Coach
Inglis' situation is very similar to the afl player Nathan Bock.

He also assaulted his partner and missed one game before being recalled. He was never the leading news item. It's basically forgotten now.

gong_eagle

First Grade

Mr Saab

Referee
2 pages of Inglis this morning, front two pages, Luke Pomerbach (Who has played cricket for Australia) who allegedly assualted police page 15, small snipet.

Courier Mail

And you are suprised because? Majority of people would say "who the f**k is Pomerbach"
If it was Ponting or Puppy Clarke then yes he would have been front page. With the media and life it is not what you do precisely...it is who you are.

_Johnsy

Referee
Yes, supporting the 9/11 Terrorist attacks

I agree that Mundine is a moron, however if you want to be accurate he said as a result of the USA's foreign policy they brought the attacks on themselves. Many American academics had said exactly the same thing, albeit via a different platform.

That and supporting the attacks are two completely different things. Continue the hijack.

babyg

Juniors
Stand him down for the rest of the year, no 4 Nations. Bring him bring in the new year.

Bring up Nathan Bock comparisons at every opportunity.

That would be my strategy.

rickywalford1

First Grade
I think the body chemistry of the average NRL player is differant to Joe Average and i therefore struggle a bit with comparisons. Im guessing that to get to that level in the NRL your natural testerone level and resulting level of aggession needs to be higher than the average 9 to 5 man. You just dont get there otherwise. Throw that animal into the further testosterone enhancing effect of full-time training and i imagine those levels go to a through the roof, signicantly higher level.

Mix that high level of testosterone with the lose of rational thought produced by alcohol and you have a very dangerous and volatile mix. Im not condoning the violence, but i do believe that the body chemistry that makes many of these guys great to watch on the NRL field, is the same body chemistry that results in them being prone to violence and behaving differantly to Joe Average when they are on the piss. If you have that aggression producing chemistry coursing through your veins, it would appear that you need to have your brain functioning on all cylinders so as you can keep it under control. Aint going to happen though. I think young men will continue to want to get mind altered and alcohol is the legal option for that purpose.

Leading on from that, i find myself wondering whether the AFL's supposed leniency towards non alcohol mind altering options for their young men with high levels of testosterone is practically such a bad thing.

Latest posts