What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis avoids conviction over assault

_Johnsy

Referee
I think the body chemistry of the average NRL player is differant to Joe Average and i therefore struggle a bit with comparisons. Im guessing that to get to that level in the NRL your natural testerone level and resulting level of aggession needs to be higher than the average 9 to 5 man. You just dont get there otherwise. Throw that animal into the further testosterone enhancing effect of full-time training and i imagine those levels go to a through the roof, signicantly higher level.

Mix that high level of testosterone with the lose of rational thought produced by alcohol and you have a very dangerous and volatile mix. Im not condoning the violence, but i do believe that the body chemistry that makes many of these guys great to watch on the NRL field, is the same body chemistry that results in them being prone to violence and behaving differantly to Joe Average when they are on the piss. If you have that aggression producing chemistry coursing through your veins, it would appear that you need to have your brain functioning on all cylinders so as you can keep it under control. Aint going to happen though. I think young men will continue to want to get mind altered and alcohol is the legal option for that purpose.

Leading on from that, i find myself wondering whether the AFL's supposed leniency towards non alcohol mind altering options for their young men with high levels of testosterone is practically such a bad thing.

No you are tyring to justify it, and your comments are as offensive as that hero burger, blue singlet wearing dickhead, Bucking Warriors.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't particularly want to enter a religion and race debate but I can't help but laugh at the "Mundine proud of culture" claim. He's so proud of his Aboriginal heritage he decided to convert to Muslim. That doesn't amount to complete pride in ones culture in my books. JMO.

babyg

Juniors
At least the Melbourne public might get to see some Greg Inglis footage on the news.

Swiftstylez

Bench
There are a fair number of those things i haven't done, never done and wouldn't even consider doing, EVER.

and as for the eye level rant, i'm a fairly large dude, pretty much the same size as the subject of this thread so delivering such a rant may be challenging and unlikely to be even remotely threatening so what would it prove.

Wow you are so tough.

Brutus

Referee
And you are suprised because? Majority of people would say "who the f**k is Pomerbach"
If it was Ponting or Puppy Clarke then yes he would have been front page. With the media and life it is not what you do precisely...it is who you are.

Like Jake Friend earlier in the year...of course.

rickywalford1

First Grade
No you are tyring to justify it, and your comments are as offensive as that hero burger, blue singlet wearing dickhead, Bucking Warriors.

Wasn't meant to be. Just my theory on NRL players and the apparently high incidence of alcohol related violence. How is it offensive ? Im happy for it to be shot down by a counter argument.

Nightward

Juniors
Nightward, Michael Vick went to jail for dogfighting but has recently been reinstated by the NFL and will play this year.

My bad. I remember there being a fair amount of outrage at the time over what he was caught up in, and I assumed the "ban him for life" stuff was official.

Still, I stand by what I said. Vick should have been banned for life- the law in America is trying to prevent dog fighting and cruelty to animals, yet that wingnut gets to be rewarded with adulation and a high salary, hardly the message you want to be sending to society.

Closer to home, though, the NRL has been up on its high horse about the way its players (and society at large) should treat women. They were probably backed into a corner by Bird and Stewart, but that doesn't make their denunciation of violence towards women any less correct. Cometh the hour, cometh the man? I guess we'll see.

I, for one, am tired of high-profile players being given a pass for their actions. Even though what the Broncos (my club) did last year was found to not be illegal, it still damaged the standing of the club and the game at large- in my mind, though, the worst part was that the three players involved behaved as though they were the victims, rather than the girl who was at the centre of things. I believed then, as I do now, that they should have all been stood down immediately; they admitted they were there (eventually), and they admitted to what they stood accused of, but argued it had been consensual. Shane Webcke was right; the Broncos took it easy on them after throwing the book at lower-profile players (Costigan, Lacey, et al), which was simply not on.

Whether it's the most elite and adored player doing the wrong thing, or the fringe player who appears sporadically is, in my view, entirely immaterial. It's long past due that the clubs, or the NRL if they fail to act, took a zero-tolerance approach to asshattery, on the field or off.

StormChaser

First Grade
I don't particularly want to enter a religion and race debate but I can't help but laugh at the "Mundine proud of culture" claim. He's so proud of his Aboriginal heritage he decided to convert to Muslim. That doesn't amount to complete pride in ones culture in my books. JMO.

Heritage and religion are two seperate things you dolt, and anyone who quotes Mundine should have their head read.

GI can f**k off and die as far as I'm concerned. I'm just gutted that he has done something like that and brought such shame to the club. I hope they de-register his arse and pack him off back to Macksville to join the dole queue, where he probably WOULD have been if it weren't for the very game that he's dragging through the mud.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think the body chemistry of the average NRL player is differant to Joe Average and i therefore struggle a bit with comparisons. Im guessing that to get to that level in the NRL your natural testerone level and resulting level of aggession needs to be higher than the average 9 to 5 man. You just dont get there otherwise. Throw that animal into the further testosterone enhancing effect of full-time training and i imagine those levels go to a through the roof, signicantly higher level.

Mix that high level of testosterone with the lose of rational thought produced by alcohol and you have a very dangerous and volatile mix. Im not condoning the violence, but i do believe that the body chemistry that makes many of these guys great to watch on the NRL field, is the same body chemistry that results in them being prone to violence and behaving differantly to Joe Average when they are on the piss. If you have that aggression producing chemistry coursing through your veins, it would appear that you need to have your brain functioning on all cylinders so as you can keep it under control. Aint going to happen though. I think young men will continue to want to get mind altered and alcohol is the legal option for that purpose.

Leading on from that, i find myself wondering whether the AFL's supposed leniency towards non alcohol mind altering options for their young men with high levels of testosterone is practically such a bad thing.

What nonsense. There are hundreds of brawls between young blokes (and women) on the drink at pubs every weekend. 99.99999999999% do not involve an NRL player, funnily enough. Do you people seriously think about the garbage you spew? Just on the top 25 at each first grade club, there are 400 NRL players. This year, 3 have been charged with assaulting women, and a couple more for minor crimes. That's about 1%.

Last edited:

hugzy

Juniors
damn they even LOOK alike :0S

dw GI we still love ya (but only if u sign for the Knights we need an outside back to fill the void left by anthony "king" quinn)

Sleep

Juniors
If the NRL takes a zero tolerance policy, how many players do you honestly think we'd have left?

And you know that certain players would get given second chances that get swept under the rug whether we hear about it or not.

Gallop has been too soft for too long and this year really shows it. It's too little too late for me. They need a hardass to step in and just crack skulls regardless of player or stature. It's the only way these guys will learn.

sooperdooper

First Grade
he deserves what he gets... an act of a true coward.
hope he gets a severe punishment from storm/nrl and his charges in court....

he should not be allowed to represent the roos at the end of this year!!!

This is if he is found GUILTY of course

badav

Bench
Its worry that these blokes just don't learn.

The amount of negative incidents in the last 12-24 months regards to women has definetaly been a worry.

And can we please make someone a little older, more experienced, and more intelligent the face of the game. Brett Stewart and Greg Inglis while great footy players are both dumb as a box of rocks and can barely string a sentence together. Trouble is going to find them if they dont find it.

rickywalford1

First Grade
What nonsense. There are hundreds of brawls between young blokes (and women) on the drink at pubs every weekend. 99.99999999999% do not involve an NRL player, funnily enough.

I appreciate that. Would you say that the personnel involved in those brawls are the more inherently aggressive personalities amongst us ?

I think that aggressive people drinking to excess and losing that mind control is a massive problem for society. Especially when they dont have the life experience to be able to pull up stumps. I suspect that is reflected in NRL players and alcohol related violence. Not such a problem for those of us who dont contain that aggressive chemistry. Rather than get all agitated and abusive, we just talk a lot of dribble and fall asleep.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Heritage and religion are two seperate things you dolt, and anyone who quotes Mundine should have their head read.

GI can f**k off and die as far as I'm concerned. I'm just gutted that he has done something like that and brought such shame to the club. I hope they de-register his arse and pack him off back to Macksville to join the dole queue, where he probably WOULD have been if it weren't for the very game that he's dragging through the mud.

:lol: Well said during "Close the Gap" week SC, well done :clap:

God-King Dean

Immortal
420inglisbarret-420x0.jpg