What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussies1st

Staff member
Don't know if this has been posted yet but here goes.

The NRL has blocked Greg Inglis's $1.8 million move to South Sydney in another stunning twist to the centre's ugly contract saga.

NRL auditor Ian Schubert is set to prevent the realisation of Souths' $1.8 million contract with Inglis, penned after his shock walkout on Brisbane Broncos earlier this month.

And the Rabbitohs may have their own Hollywood star and owner Russell Crowe to blame.

It is now highly unlikely Inglis will play for the Rabbitohs in 2011 with Schubert resolved to can the foundation club's proposed three-year deal for the injured centre, who still remains contracted to Melbourne Storm.

The sobering reality is that Inglis could be lost to the NRL altogether, with French rugby union clubs left as his likely suitors.

Crowe's boast on Jay Leno's Tonight Show in the US has helped skittled the Rabbitohs deal - with the NRL's alarm bells ringing when the South Sydney owner revealed Inglis had been secured for three years on a deal worth "roughly about $1.8 million".

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The $600,000-a-season figure Crowe alluded to ridicules Souths' attempt to have Inglis squeezed under next year's salary cap on a base salary of only $190,000.

It was to be topped up by numerous third-party deals that will now be ruled as obligatory under the salary cap.

"I hope for Greg's sake it gets sorted out pretty quickly because we certainly want to see him be able to settle down and concentrate on his footy," NRL boss David Gallop said.

"It must be frustrating for him (Inglis) but he has got an agent and, frankly, that's what agents are for."

The Rabbitohs would have to shed several blue-ribbon stars, headlined by club skipper Roy Asotasi and Maroons Origin forward Dave Taylor, to keep Inglis in 2011. It remains unclear if Souths are willing to do so.

"It's frustrating Souths paraded him in their colours when it's not resolved," Gallop said. "It's true that Greg's contract position is not resolved.

"Everyone involved has known for some time he is under contract with Melbourne Storm and needs both a release from that contract and the approval of the salary cap auditor."

The ineligible Rabbitohs deal shapes as another huge blow to Inglis, who will undergo hip surgery today after earlier reconstructive surgery on both shoulders. His weight has already ballooned to 118kg.

South Sydney have since released a statement claiming they are still in process of finishing the Inglis deal.

"The situation has not changed since the Rabbitohs announced that Inglis had agreed to terms with the Club on 12 November," the statement said.

"The Rabbitohs are following the normal procedures of signing a player to an NRL contract and lodging that contract with the NRL for registration.

"A short form contract was lodged with the NRL on Monday 15 November. Within 20 business days of this contract being lodged, the Rabbitohs are required by the Rules to lodge a full NRL playing contract. The Club will be lodging this contract within the next 24 hours.

"Following the lodgment of the full NRL playing contract, NRL Salary Cup Auditor Ian Schubert will review the contract in accordance with Rules.

"In the meantime, the Club continues to work constructively with the Melbourne Storm towards gaining a release for Inglis from his existing contract.

"The Rabbitohs hope to have a favourable resolution to this situation within the next seven days.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...ents-on-jay-leno/story-e6frf3ou-1225960558267

Frailty

First Grade
Talk this morning is that Souths would take legal action against the NRL if the contract submitted today would be knocked back...

... Love how Souths care about the game so much.

Shouldn't be in the competition with that attitude.

Galeforce

Bench
Knockers.
If contract is open to scrutiny ,which was always going to be the case , what is the issue with Crowe stating the total value openly?
He and Souths have nothing to hide.
Also , if the third party value is similar to Brisbane contracts which have already been approved by the NRL ,why on earth should they not approve Souths deals? If so , then YES , Souths should take the NRL to court for double standards , if the Souths version is knocked back.

Those small minds , including stupid media knocking Crowe , are all pea brains.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
what is the issue with Crowe stating the total value openly?
Crowe is free to say whatever he likes. Just as others are free to see it as unprofessional to disclose details before the contract is cleared by all parties.

Galeforce said:
Also , if the third party value is similar to Brisbane contracts which have already been approved by the NRL ,why on earth should they not approve Souths deals?
You say 'if' it is similar. We obviously don't know the detail of the third party deals, not even the NRL knew the detail when Russell was crowing. However, I'm willing to assume that it's a better deal than Brisbane were offering.
Galeforce said:
If so , then YES , Souths should take the NRL to court for double standards , if the Souths version is knocked back.
lol. Based on what? For finding that the Souths deal is in breach of the salary cap? Do you really think the NRL would block the contract if it was legit?

Dragon Dave

Bench
I'm sick of seeing and hearing about this fat, greedy prick.

Those who say things like "we need Greg Inglis in the NRL" are kidding themselves. He was missing in action this season and the game is still thriving on the field.

He is a great player (when he feels like it) but is not in the top 10 players in the game at the moment.

We don't need him at all.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Go f**k a dog.

ahh... gotta love it..

it's 8.30.. i'm at my desk, giggling like a schoolgirl after reading that...

someone next to me asks "what's so funny"

not really easy to explain at work now, is it..

juanfarkall

Coach
Contract Breakdown per year

$190K cash
$100K Bus Hire in case of rain to/from away games
$200K Tab at McDonald's, Burger King... etc
$110K Clothing items such as.....

male_girdles_c.jpg

Galeforce

Bench
Willow,
points for keeping this discussion logical . replying to your three points
1) the media was already disclosing value of around $1.8m . Crowe did not disclose the details of the contract , just commented in response to question and stated the value was around $1.8m for three years . What is unprofessional about that , given the media already stating this value.
2) re similar , yes exactly. I have seen reports , that the Souths reported contract structure is similar to Brisbane. If so i do not recall "media/ fan/ Nrl" beat up on questioning the Brisbane deal which was reviewed and approved by the NRL. If noone has seen the Souths deal , then why all these "media " beatups?
3) i do not know if or why the NRL would not approve the contract if in line with salary cap guidelines? My comment is if NRL approved Brisbane contract after "carefull scrutiny" , why should they not approve the Souths contract if structure was same. If True , then yes , Souths should take legal action to support consistency and "clean up" the game administration , because something would stink.
If you have problems with my thoughts , no problem , you are on the other side of the fence.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Knockers.
If contract is open to scrutiny ,which was always going to be the case , what is the issue with Crowe stating the total value openly?

do you often ask your breasts questions related to football?

Galeforce

Bench
Dragon Dave,
tough talking saints supporter.
So you supported getting Gasnier back? who needed him back in the game ? did he go to Europe for love , adventure , french food or money?
Have you seen Inglis play ? he is the best, most powerful , gracefull running back i have ever seen , makes any other centre in the game look second rate , just look at the last 4 nations.
Tell me , did Australia beat NZ ?
Yes i think Australia could do with Inglis .
What a bunch of pea brain supporters knocking one of the most exciting players in the game.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Willow,
points for keeping this discussion logical . replying to your three points
1) the media was already disclosing value of around $1.8m . Crowe did not disclose the details of the contract , just commented in response to question and stated the value was around $1.8m for three years . What is unprofessional about that , given the media already stating this value.
?

It is the media's job to speculate, not the clubs owner.

The contract has not been cleared by the NRL, so someone directly involved in the club should not be making speculative remarks to anyone.

It is unprofessional.

Galeforce

Bench
As for Muzby , i have noted your stupid negative comments all over the forum. your last comment suggests you are just arrived puberty boy typing with only one hand on the keyboard.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Dragon Dave,
tough talking saints supporter.
So you supported getting Gasnier back? who needed him back in the game ? did he go to Europe for love , adventure , french food or money?
Have you seen Inglis play ? he is the best, most powerful , gracefull running back i have ever seen , makes any other centre in the game look second rate , just look at the last 4 nations.
Tell me , did Australia beat NZ ?
Yes i think Australia could do with Inglis .
What a bunch of pea brain supporters knocking one of the most exciting players in the game.

You tell me, did Australia beat NZ when Inglis played in the World Cup final of 2008?

Gasnier is a local junior, and our club did make any comments on him signing until...well...he signed. He came into the squad without any fuss and put his head down and worked hard.

Gasnier was contract was not honored by a third party which is why he left the club in the first place.

Galeforce

Bench
Dragon Dave,
again , what is wrong with being open with total value , given everyone guessing it and the league scrutinizing it . Please explain what is your issue with this honesty versus using a throw away line like "unprofessional".
If there was no "scrutiny" then i would agree for the benefit of the player , the approximate value should not be released.
So please explain why you believe it is unprofessional , for whom? the player , the public , the sponsors , the NRL for stating approx value. what is there to hide?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
As for Muzby , i have noted your stupid negative comments all over the forum. your last comment suggests you are just arrived puberty boy typing with only one hand on the keyboard.

have a whinge princess...

Status
Not open for further replies.