What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gymea Hotel re-opening soon FYI

Danger

Juniors
I went up there on saturday and they dont let people in after 11pm, what a joke, i thought it would be open till at least 2... Tradies was dead though, they must be spewing now that gymea pub is open.
AKA was in fine form, gymea pub hasnt affected that place at all, still rough as.

The Attorney

Juniors
saw my first punch up at Gymea pub yesterday arvo. Thin metro in his sisters jeans got pounded by a short stocky bloke in standard surfie gear

Danger

Juniors
The Attorney said:
saw my first punch up at Gymea pub yesterday arvo. Thin metro in his sisters jeans got pounded by a short stocky bloke in standard surfie gear

Good to see that even though they have fancied the place up a bit, it hasn't really changed :lol:

beekershark

Bench
what a fine thread, a good read from start to finish !

I love the list of pubs cheese and bad boy bubba have come up with, they are what pubs are all about, I agree that northies is certainly NOT what a good pub is all about. The Rose on Cleveland street darlington is a good one worth visiting too cheese, although I'm sure you're probably sampled it's fare before. Some examples of finely designed, customer focused pubs that have great menus, great service and atmosphere /design IMO are :-

The Harrington hotel-Harrington
The Commercial Hotel-Bellingen
The Star Hotel-Macksville
The Oxford Hotel-bathurst
The Dudley Hotel-Bathurst
The Marlin Hotel-Ulladulla
The Normanby-Brisbane
The Seaview-Townsville
The Surf Club at SALT- Kingscliff
The Tudor-Redfern
The William Wallace-Balmain
The Royal Hotel-Leichhardt
The Golden Barley-St Peters/marrickville
The Hippo Lounge/bar- surry hills-central station
The Glenmore Hotel-The Rocks
The Lord Nelson Hotel-The rocks
The Palisade Hotel-the rocks
The Courthouse Hotel-Post Douglas
The Aussie-Ballina
The Bulladelah Hotel-bulladelah
The Lennox Point Hotel- Lennox Heads

I've spent alot of time over the past 5 years through business at many of those pubs and they all mantain the essence of what is a good pub IMO, there is a pretty wide range of styles and "class" of pubs there in many peoples eyes i guess however I know most of the operators and each of them mantains good classic pub style hospitality as part of their over all plan.

Some joints that I am ANTI for their set up, or for losing the way about what what good about them in the past :-

Northies- Can't see what all the hype is about

Fishos -gold coast- what a sh*t hole, likewise cannot see what the fuss is about, full of wanker groups of yobs in gold coast issue cheap surf gear, service is not existant.

The Clock Hotel Surry hills- what a blowfly magnet. sh*thole.

The whitehorse Surry hills- what a sh*thole, used to be a damn fine pub until the renovation

The Empire-kings cross- Bwwahahahaha ! why would you bother ? sh*thole

The Harbour View Hotel-The rocks- nice idea, they just dropped the ball in execution. Great location though

Coogee bay Hotel- big f*ckin place, big f*cking let down, sh*thole

Watsons bay Hotel- attitude has ruined the joint

GregoryP

Juniors
The Normanby in Brisbane is a good pub there Beekershark.

Im still fond of Sharkies as a club, its going to be a bloody beauty when its finished.

beekershark

Bench
The Normamby welcomes anyone who enters on the same level as the next guy/girl, great selection of food/bevs and a great layout. I agree there GregoryP.

I disagree on Sharkies as a good club to drink at or eat at though.

SirShire

First Grade
Gymea is rubbish, a skidmark on the underpants of the Shire's finer drinking establishments.

FFS can anyone serious believe that a pub that is that big in size only has one pissweak bar that is no bigger than the coffee shop at Sharkies? Fuggen rubbish! And from several accounts, the food at the restaurant is either late/cold/never comes out at all when they 'forget' to put the order in (this is, of course, when they actually don't run out of food, as they did on the opening night). Place is a joke, the outside could have some potential, and so could the balcony (if people could drink on it), but it is a concrete jungle and security are animals.

The place has about as much class as a Roger David suit. I think I'd rather drink at Boyle's!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
The Attorney said:

Is there some sort of award for being in the first fight at a new pub? A certificate to hang on the wall maybe?

cheese

Bench
The Lennox Point Hotel- Lennox Heads

f**k yea ....What a great pub that is. I only had 1 schooner there but i couldnt help but think to myself "is this the best pub in aus". 30 mins later i rock up at the beach hotel at byron (mid week/offseason) only to have the bar some what raised again ...f**k. What a stretch of coast from balli to byron

My girlfriend loves the Clock Hotel beeks. Its supposedly pretty plush these days. Can't say i really remember it.

And i know the other rose beeks ....not far down the hill from the seymour centre if thats the one you mean. Tidy little establishment.

beekershark

Bench
That's the one mate, still goes the same as it always did, got a little sand bottce pit out in the beer garden to have a throw ! magic !

totally agree on the Ballina/byron area mate, I've spent alot of time there recently between Maclean and the gold coast for work and it's been fantastic. The place is going through the roof ( hopefully :) ) and plenty more people will get to sample those pubs we mention. haha I did about the exaxt same thing when I left the Lennox as you mate !

clock hotel has been totally done up mate, probably about 5 years ago, same with the dolphin Hotel up the road. The clock can, in my opinion, be considered northies on Crown Street. very very similar joints .

spider

Coach
The Normanby in Brisbane is a good pub
Great Pub - wish i remembered all of the night i had there - bit blurry. And paid for it the next day when waking up next to a Razorback.

cheese

Bench
Ah yes. I know which one the clock is now. I know the dolphin better though. It's got a tidy little gaming lounge that i used to frequent a little to often. Seems more like a yuppie restraunt than a pub though ...not really my scene. But the cleopatras their pay good. Plenty of good sorts though, also plenty of poofs.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Cheese man.
Finish the drive next time & get to the BrunZ.

Give the Brunz a spin on Sat & sun arvos through summer. Good fun.

Sundy arvos can be good at the Beachy but Fri Sat nights are the best there.
Lennox leaves me a little flat to be honest. I think Lennox & I don't mix geographically for some reason.

Of the hinterland pubs the Bangalow & the Chinny for some greeny, feral, acoustic times.

cheese

Bench
I'll keep it in mind reefer. I have a mate who was living in lizzy for a while and he mentioned the brunz and said it was tidy.

The beachy is f**king awesome though. If it's not one of the better pubs in aus i'll give it up. Being at pubs like that make you realise just how sh*t northies is. The lenny seemed pretty low brow tradie orientated ...I was only there for a schooie, asking them if they'd give us a gig. I just loved the fact you could look at rows of offshore 6ft lines whilst sinking piss. Golden.

The Nulla #2

Bench
SirShire said:
And from several accounts, the food at the restaurant is either late/cold/never comes out at all when they 'forget' to put the order in (this is, of course, when they actually don't run out of food, as they did on the opening night).

I disagree.

i had food, it was quick, nice and presented well. And in fact, on the first day too. For a pub that is oly open 2 days, the bistro did remarkably well.

SS you have been hitting local establishments for 1.5 years, too early in your lift to judge what a pub is.

Im in the same boat.

I can see exactly what the elders are saying, and i think you should stick to swinging your hips at Scubar, ill join you.

Latest posts