What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haddin

HevyDevy

Coach
wase is the best keeper in the country by a long way. here is the bias happening again. bias to older players who are part of the 'boys club' and who are from a certain state

No he is not the best keeper, although he is probably the best keeper-batsman. Still young though so more than happy to see him given opportunities from now. He will only improve.

aqua_duck

Coach
People forget when Gilly came in he probably wasnt the best keeper at the time either, that would possibly have been Darren Berry

Hallatia

Referee
Haddin feels he has been dropped from ODIs
ESPNcricinfo staff
January 31, 2012

Australia's wicketkeeper Brad Haddin has said he feels like he has been dropped from the ODI side rather than rested. And Haddin believes that he could find it hard to force his way back into the one-day squad if his replacement Matthew Wade performs strongly in the first few games of the tri-series with India and Sri Lanka.

Australia's national selector John Inverarity said on Monday that Haddin deserved to put his feet up after a gruelling schedule of Tests over the past few months. However, he also said the selection panel had an open mind about who would keep wicket for the remainder of the one-day series, the squad having only been named for the first three matches.

"I think anytime you're out of the Australian Cricket team you're dropped," Haddin said on the Sydney radio station 2KY. "You give another guy an opportunity to take your spot. If they do well you could find it hard to get back in the team but that's the way it is and I've just got to deal with that.

"We need to see how young Matty Wade goes at this level. It's seen as a good opportunity to play him and from my point of view, if he does well there's no guarantee you'll get your spot. Once you've given it up you give someone an opportunity and you might not play again ... If you give your spot up, you've got no right to walk straight back in."

Haddin, 34, last year retired from Twenty20 internationals but remained part of Australia's Test and one-day setup. However, a summer in which he failed to have a major impact with the bat and initially made some errors behind the stumps has left Haddin under pressure to hold his place, although he is expected to be one of the two keepers who will take part in the Test tour of the West Indies in April.

He will captain the Prime Minister's XI in a one-day game against Sri Lanka in Canberra on Friday. Wade, 24, will make his ODI debut against India at the MCG on Sunday.
Sauce

beads6

First Grade
It is the right move IMO. It seems like the selectors want to see how Wade goes at International level. I don't think Haddin will take being dropped very well TBH.

Storm_Warning

Juniors
haddin=34, average behind the stumps, poor form with the bat and prone to brain explosions

wade=24, good behind the stumps with plenty of time to improve, very good with the bat.....and only 24!!!!!

drop haddin now for the tests. why the hell should we carry him for another year and a half years to the ashes. perfect time to give wade a few test series to ready by the ashes.

oh wait haddin is mates with clarke so he is immune to being dropped from the test side.

Earl

Coach
People forget when Gilly came in he probably wasnt the best keeper at the time either, that would possibly have been Darren Berry

Wade Seccobme is th best keeper Australia has had in the last 20 years.

I do agree with your original point re Gilchrist.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wade Seccobme is th best keeper Australia has had in the last 20 years.

I do agree with your original point re Gilchrist.
:lol::lol: He was Gash to the spinners, he was very good off the quicks though. And by the way are you saying he was a better keeper than Heals??? :lol:

typicalfan

Coach
haddin=34, average behind the stumps, poor form with the bat and prone to brain explosions

wade=24, good behind the stumps with plenty of time to improve, very good with the bat.....and only 24!!!!!

drop haddin now for the tests. why the hell should we carry him for another year and a half years to the ashes. perfect time to give wade a few test series to ready by the ashes.

oh wait haddin is mates with clarke so he is immune to being dropped from the test side.
Wade has a less than impressive reputation with the gloves.

Patorick

Staff member
Haddin deserves to continue in Test cricket for at least the Windies tour, but I'd say he's just about (if not) done as an ODI player.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/domestic-cricket/crikhaddin-left-out-of-nsw-squad-for-tassie/story-e6frf3kl-1226260807128

Brad Haddin will not play in NSW Blues' Sheffield Shield match against Tasmania at Blundstone Arena..

AAP February 02, 2012 1:37PM

967200-brad-haddin.jpg

Grounded ... Brad Haddin has been rested on Cricket Australia orders. Source: Phil Hillyard / News Limited

Brad Haddin will not feature for the NSW Blues in their first Sheffield Shield match of 2012.

Haddin will captain the Prime Minister's XI against Sri Lanka in Canberra on Friday, ruling him out of the Blues' Ryobi One-Day Cup clash with the Tigers on Saturday.

However, the under-pressure Test keeper will also be rested from the four-day fixture at the request of Cricket Australia.

Chief national cricket selector John Inverarity said earlier in the week that Haddin had been rested from the opening matches of the upcoming triangular one-day series featuring India and Sri Lanka because of his heavy workload.

Brad Haddin responded on radio by saying he believed he'd been dropped for Victoria wicketkeeper Matthew Wade, and said he would have to fight to win his ODI spot back.

It's been speculated Wade and Haddin will both tour the West Indies next month with the Australia cricket team and, after a lean summer, the 34-year-old Haddin could have done with some time in the middle in the Shield match to play himself back into form.

However, Cricket Australia's insistence on Haddin being rested indicates he is still the first preference as Australia's keeper, particularly at Test level.

NSW and Tasmania are both playing their first games after the long break for the KFC T20 Big Bash League.

The Tigers are third in the Shield and second in the Ryobi Cup after six matches, while NSW are fifth in both competitions.

NSW welcome Phil Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Steve O'Keefe and Scott Coyte back into their Shield and one-day squads, while four-day incumbents Steve Smith and Simon Katich also return to the 50-over team as well.

O'Keefe will resume as NSW captain after Smith had skippered Sydney Sixers in the BBL.

Meanwhile, Shaun Marsh's terrible Test form for Australia gives incentive to fallen stars Khawaja and Hughes to win back their Test top-order spots for the tour of the West Indies.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/haddin-not-feeling-the-pressure-20120202-1qv9o.html

Haddin not feeling the pressure..

Crystal Ja
February 2, 2012 - 5:49PM

AAP

Under-siege wicketkeeper Brad Haddin denies he's got a case to prove when he captains the PM's XI against Sri Lanka in Canberra, insisting he's content with his standing in the Australian team.

His one-day replacement Matthew Wade impressed with an entertaining half-century against India in the Twenty20 in Melbourne on Wednesday night, only helping to flame the fires surrounding Haddin's future Test career.

But the 34-year-old, who didn't watch the match, insists he's not feeling the heat.

"I'm very comfortable where everything's at and I know exactly where I stand," he told reporters on Thursday.

"This is not a do-or-die game."

Rested from the start of the one-day series and most recently NSW's side for a Sheffield Shield clash with Tasmania next weekend, Haddin refused to say if he'd been keen on playing.

"We're here to promote the PM's game and that's all we need to worry about today," he said when asked.

But he added he'd be making the most of the enforced break.

"I'm here to enjoy myself over the next couple of days," he said.

"It's just about going out and having some fun and enjoying the occasion."

Haddin, who leads the PM's XI squad against Mahela Jayawardene's Sri Lankan side, wants his younger team-mates to also take advantage of the day's play when they'll be pitted against some of Sri Lanka's best.

Asked if he had any words of advice to his bowlers when they're bowling to the likes of Kumar Sangakkara, Haddin joked: "Good luck."

"(Young guys) don't get the opportunity to play against the world's best players that often," he said.

"If they can learn anything from bowling to Mahela or anyone of these guys it's going to be beneficial to their cricket."

For Jayawardene's team, the match will also be a chance to flex some muscle ahead of this month's tri-series against Australia and India.

"We need to try a few combinations going forward," the skipper said.

"It's not easy to just one, but we've got two good teams in the next few weeks, so we need to try a few things."

Prime Minister's XI: Brad Haddin (capt), Peter Forrest, Wes Robinson, Mitchell Marsh, Adam Voges, Dean Solway, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Cutting, Michael Neser, Cameron Boyce, Meyrick Buchanan, Aaron Ayre (12th man).

© 2012 AAP

Last edited:

Hallatia

Referee
'I know where I stand' - Haddin
Daniel Brettig
February 2, 2012

Brad Haddin, the Australia Test wicketkeeper, has said he knows exactly where he stands with the national selectors and is not feeling under undue pressure to perform when he leads the Prime Minister's XI against the Sri Lankans in Canberra on Friday.

Having retired from international Twenty20 matches, Haddin was available to play in the tour match at the ground where he began his senior cricket career. He had been stood down from the first three ODIs of the triangular series against Sri Lanka and India, and was initially keen to play for New South Wales during his time away from the national team, before being ordered to rest. However, he said he was "very comfortable" with where he stood.

"I'm very comfortable where everything's at, at the moment," Haddin said in Canberra. "I know exactly where I stand and I know exactly what's going on over the next couple of weeks. So from where I stand, it's been a very exciting summer to win 4-0 against India. I think we showed as a team a lot of improvement in our game, and where we want to take the Australian cricket team, so I think it's a very exciting time. I'm pretty relaxed with where my game's at to be honest. This is not a do-or-die game [for me]."

In commuting from Sydney to Canberra, Haddin missed the first Twenty20 match between Australia and India, in which his understudy Matthew Wade put his name squarely in front of the selectors for a longer-term role by cracking 72 and claiming the Man of the Match award. "By the sounds of it," Haddin said, "it was a pretty impressive game from all the Australians. It was good to keep the momentum we gathered from the Test series [going] and for the guys to perform the way they did was an outstanding result."

On the topic of his resting, Haddin declined to comment on whether he had wanted to play for the NSW Blues, and said the matter of choosing when to give players a breather had to be taken on a case by case basis. "I think we need to work on that on an individual basis," he said. "We have a lot of staff now that work through all those different processes and these decisions aren't made lightly, there's a whole lot of data that goes into these decisions."

Opposing Haddin's XI will be A Sri Lankan side led by Mahela Jayawardene for the first time since he regained the captaincy. Weeks of upheaval in the nation's cricket boardroom has seen a new coach, Graham Ford, also installed.

"Within the space of one week a lot of things happened, so we have to try to settle things down," Jayawardene said. "Yes, we have a new coach, I've come back [as captain], we've wanted to do a few things differently obviously, try to rebuild. We still have the senior guys behind us and some youngsters coming through to find the right combination in the future.

"We've played some really good cricket in the last six months but we have not been able to string games together and win tournaments or series … we've lost 2-1, 3-2, 4-2, margins like that. We chased 300 twice in South Africa and that showed the character of the team, but we lost the series, so we just need to work hard at executing our plans more consistently."

The matter of player payments continues to fester, but Jayawardene refused to countenance it as an obstacle for the tourists over the next two months. "Not really, those are things we can't control too much," he said. "A new cricket board has been appointed a few weeks ago, so they're trying to get everything sorted out. We'll wait and see. We've waited for this long, we want to play cricket, that's why we're here right now, and it won't affect us."
Sauce

lockyno1

Post Whore

Want to re-phrase that again..you see the sitter he dropped against Hogg...or the missed run-out...they are dead basics to being a test keeper. Sure Haddin is past it, but proclaiming Wade as the 2nd coming of God and a GOOD keeper is pushing it.

People on here may not love Tim Paine but I have a feeling they are waiting for Paine to be fit.