What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback of the year?

Halfback of the year

• Shane Perry

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brent Sherwin

• Cooper Cronk

Votes: 67 45.6%
  • Matt Orford

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Brett Krapmorely

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Todd Carney

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Jonathon Thurston

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Craig Gower

• Matt Head

• Jeremy Smith

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Grant Rovelli

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Josh Lewis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Williams

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Scott Prince

• Total voters

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Very different to 5/8, the halfbacks this year have been playing well this season especially Orford, Cronk.

Who do you reckon is the halfback of the year?

pantherz9103

First Grade
Cronk has done an amazing job in his first year starting at halfback. Too many of the others have been up and down but I would say Orford and Rovelli have been pretty impressive for the silver and bronze and when he hasn't been complaining to the refs we've seen the best of Joey again.

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
I voted Cronk cause i think he has shown everyone what he can do this year.
Special mention to Rovelli and Carney

mxlegend99

Referee
Joey. While he hasn't been great all year. He has still been good even when not inform. Plus i have a feeling he will lead the Knights far in the semis.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Orford. Followed by Johns and then Cronk.

Cronk has been good but he hasnt had to be the centrepiece of the offense like Orford and Johns have.

antbytes

Juniors
Ask yourself this....
When a player puts his hand up and says, "Here I am.. Try and beat me !"
As a halfback, when Johns turns up to play he's so far ahead of the rest there's no competition. Sadly, we haven't seen him on top of his game all season, I suspect the arm (that's heavily strapped every week) is an issue.
Outside of Joey, Cooper Cronk turned up every week. Craig Bellamy knew what he was doing when he let Orford go.
I think Des Hasler knew what he was doing when he tried to move MM on too ! With a real hooker, Manly may have been just a little bit better this year, so when they get knocked out of the semies... don't blame Dessie, blame the supporters who wanted to keep MM.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Cronk should get it becuase the NRL are still working out how to give him another Dally M!

reptar

Juniors
I voted Cronk. He's been consistent the whole season, and does exactly what the team requires from him. Johns has been good in patches, as has Orford. Carney has finally started to show the potential that Raiders fans know he has, but most of the time Elliott has him playing 5/8 rather than half, and probably needs a season without Smith to step up and show he can organise a team.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I'd like to see an argument against Cronk.

What about this. If Cooper Cronk was playing for the Knights, where would they be on the table right now? If Johns was playing for Melbourne where would they be. Johns is the most valuable player in the competion.

Ice777

Bench
Leagueguy said:
What about this. If Cooper Cronk was playing for the Knights, where would they be on the table right now? If Johns was playing for Melbourne where would they be. Johns is the most valuable player in the competion.

Do you reckon if Johns was playing for the Storm we'd be more than 3 games clear on top like we are now? Personally i don't think so. The fact that Cronk not only led a team that was widely tipped to finish bottom 8 yet won the MP so convincingly, but also done so in his first year at half back pretty much sums up who the best number 7 has been this year. IMO of course ;-)

edabomb

First Grade
Leagueguy said:

Fair point on Cooper not being able to step into Johns' shoes. I don't see how it can be said Melbourne would be going any better with Johns though. Cronk and Johns both play to the system their teams have, and both do a great job.

Johns may be the most valuable player in the comp, but that doesn't neccesarily make him the best performed.

Would you say the Storm are a 10 competition points better side than the Knights based on talent??? I wouldn't, it comes down to performance.

reptar

Juniors
Leagueguy said:
Yes, but I don't think someone like Johns would work well with Bellamy.

Wont be a popular choice, but Joey is the best this year.

His inclusion and exclusion from teams just shows how good he is.

He didn't play Origin and NSW lost.
He played for AUS and we thumped the Kiwis.
He has played most of the season foe the Knights and their a
Chance of finishing top 4, where as last year not much Joey=Wooden Spoon.

edabomb

First Grade
Johns played a fair amount of games with the Knights last year, 16. I'm not a Johns basher, I just don't think he's been as great as usual this season.

Latest posts