What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfbacks - split from Michael Lett Thread.

parra pete

Referee
cardinal said:
It is easy to be critical of young players trying to find their way in the game, that is what annoys me with Pete and Tim Smith. Parra have a heap of great young talent but have not done anything yet so I don't think we should be to quick to judge other teams young players. Besides Sowards dad died suddenly last year so for all we know he has had a hard time getting over that. I think he has talent.

Annoyed because I have an opinion different to yours????

parra pete

Referee
I know for a fact that the Raiders administration does not have a big opinion of Jamie Soward. I think he is a handy player but he has had a shocker in the past two PL Grand Finals.
Roosters half back ....Josh Lewis...now there is a kid who can play the game.

parra pete said:
I know for a fact that the Raiders administration does not have a big opinion of Jamie Soward. I think he is a handy player but he has had a shocker in the past two PL Grand Finals.
Roosters half back ....Josh Lewis...now there is a kid who can play the game.

i agree with you about Soward. I saw him play in flegg for the roosters and I didn't understand what all the hype was about. When he scored it was indvidual type of trys.... No vision. On Lewis he sure shows signs of a good player. But I would keep tim Smith over lewis for Sure. I don't think i have seen a young player with tim's vision before. Sure he can improve his running game but his vision is what sets him apart from the other including Cronk.

On another note i was thinking about trent hodgkinsons general game the other day.... he reminds me a lot of Johnathan Thurston in the way he takes the line on.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Soward is over-rated. and Goulburn boy Carney has it all over him.

Lewis is a find, great young player.

parra pete

Referee
Jake the snake said:
i agree with you about Soward. I saw him play in flegg for the roosters and I didn't understand what all the hype was about. When he scored it was indvidual type of trys.... No vision. On Lewis he sure shows signs of a good player. But I would keep tim Smith over lewis for Sure. I don't think i have seen a young player with tim's vision before. Sure he can improve his running game but his vision is what sets him apart from the other including Cronk.

On another note i was thinking about trent hodgkinsons general game the other day.... he reminds me a lot of Johnathan Thurston in the way he takes the line on.

Sounds like the type of player I like. I look forward to seeing him play. Give me a running half back ANY DAY.

yy_cheng

Coach
Pete, would you look at it as a HALVES Combination or just solely on the halfback and the 5/8th?

Like Sterlo/Kenny complimented each other as did Langer/Lewis, Stuart/Daley.

But for some reason I didn't think Sterlo/Lewis was a good combo or was Johns/Lockyer.

The Smith/Morris was good in '05 as they complimented each other but failed in '06 as Smith had some issues.

As for the Smith/Finch combo, I'm not too sure yet.

I would love to see a Kenny type player outside Timmy and tbh, I thought Judas would've complimented him.

Pete,

Just in case you hadn't seen it, This is a Photo of Tim Training to Take on the line.

timmy2.jpg

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with your summation that Tim doesn't run to the line, not based on this photo, but based on watching him play for 2 seasons up here and a year before in Flegg.

I saw him run to the line Jink and score against the Storm this year as well. Was the first try of the year for the club.

yy_cheng

Coach
He does run to the line occasionally but what he needs to do is keep the ball in his hands longer to keep the defense guessing.

However, if he runs to the line without support, then it is quite useless.

I like the way Lockyer runs to the line and keep the ball in his hands but then he always has support or a cutie following him.

I still think he's a bit gunshy about getting smashed though.

Running comes naturally to some. Some can develop it later on. It will come for Tim with Time. As YY said, All he needs is runners and if he sees a gap he can dart for it.

I just think Tim loves to set up plays through his kicking and passing game which is his strengths. Ricky Stuart was never a big runner of the balll but went on to win a few premierships. Tim has got the organising, passing and kicking game if he can develop the running game it will be a bonus.

fish eel

Immortal
Tim has to perform in the furst half dozen weeks or so I think.

Backing up a shocking year last year, with the players coming through, I think he has it to prove all over again.

MarkInTheStands said:
Pete,

Just in case you hadn't seen it, This is a Photo of Tim Training to Take on the line.

timmy2.jpg

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with your summation that Tim doesn't run to the line, not based on this photo, but based on watching him play for 2 seasons up here and a year before in Flegg.

I saw him run to the line Jink and score against the Storm this year as well. Was the first try of the year for the club.

Mark...I saw that try you refer to and was impressed by it. I also liked when he took on the Manly line in the 2005 QF and set up Chad (??).

He does it a bit too infrequent for mine. That is more of an encouraging comment than disparaging beacuse I am a Tim-may disciple.

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
Pete,

timmy2.jpg

Oh, come on MITS???

Timmy doesn't like taking the line on, and you know it as well as we do!!
1 Photo - big deal!!!!!!!

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
beacuse I am a Tim-may disciple.

1. Tim May retired a long time ago.
2. He didn't play League
3. He isnt a Queenslander
4. What are you on about talking about tim may????

I must disagree with that photo - running into tackling bags is regular training for everyone. It doesn't say much about anything, really.

fish eel said:
1. Tim May retired a long time ago.
2. He didn't play League
3. He isnt a Queenslander
4. What are you on about talking about tim may????

Funny story about Tim May is that he once sent an official letter to the South Australian Cricket Board requesting that the state team, at that time referred to as the Croweaters, be called the Spuds.

S.A.C.A. "Spuds"

He should be a Queenslander with that sort of material.

Funny sh*t.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
I seriously dont understand....some of you are so tunnel visioned about him taking the line on!
The only reason you are saying this is because of his performances earlier in the year. Well how can the bloke perform when every other player was playing like a fruit loop. You put timmy behind a pack that goes foward and he will dominate 9/10 games.
Look at the first half of the newcdastle game, newcastle were coming into the game with form and they had a fit and firing Johns.....IMO Timmy ran the show...why? caus our foward pack dominated.
T.Smith is the best natural raw talent parra has produced in a long while, its just because he plays such a important position his weaknesses are found out more then other players.
I think some of you parra fans have just forgotten what a real halfback feels like caus we havent had a decent one in so many years....and know that we do you expect them to perform miricales every game!

cardinal

Juniors
parra pete said:
Annoyed because I have an opinion different to yours????

Not at all, I think it's great for different opinions to be shared, what annoys me is the criticisim of young players like Tim who are finding their feet in the game and who may or may not make it. They are easy targets as young players who have not yet had the experiance or had enough exposure to the highest level of coaching, yet you are quick to write Tim off who is not just playing in a position such as a Greg Inglis or a Hayne where they can play off the top of their head and natural ability is enough, he is in the most important position on the field and has to guide the team around,this is a skill that takes time to develope. Sterling and Johns both took time and were given time to become the players they were, and as true Eels fans I think we should sit back and support every young player we have instead of giving smars arse comments every time Tim Smith's name is mentioned, becomes a bit boring :roll: that's all.

fish eel

Immortal
Belly in Brisvegas said:
Funny story about Tim May is that he once sent an official letter to the South Australian Cricket Board requesting that the state team, at that time referred to as the Croweaters, be called the Spuds.

S.A.C.A. "Spuds"

He should be a Queenslander with that sort of material.

Funny sh*t.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

parra pete

Referee
Hollywood Jesus said:
I must disagree with that photo - running into tackling bags is regular training for everyone. It doesn't say much about anything, really.

My thoughts exactly...When you're faced with running at, say Rueben Wiki, it tends to make you think again..Put in a cut out pass - or lob a kick over to a winger...anything to get the ball out of your hands. :lol:
I SINCERELY hope he does develop a running game and be prepared to take a few tackles for his mates. It would give his game a whole new outlook.

fish eel

Immortal
This is a very relevant discussion, pareticuarly in light of the Blake Green article just posted up in another thread....